advertisement

Silliest French word I learnt so far

D'you mean 'I'm loving it'? :) Don't agree with you; it's still grammatically wrong AND is a recent adoption. Personally, I think there's merit in having some stative verbs used in the continuous, but nobody educated properly in English would write that, even if flippantly used verbally. It ain't Queen's English yet!
So what’s the difference between ‘love’ and ‘enjoy’, if the answer given to ‘how’s the meal?’ is ‘I’m really loving it’ (not allowed) or ‘I’m really enjoying it’ (common usage)?

So what’s the difference between ‘love’ and ‘enjoy’, if the answer given to ‘how’s the meal?’ is ‘I’m really loving it’ (not allowed) or ‘I’m really enjoying it’ (common usage)?
Don't even ask the question. That's is bowing down to the language fascists.

I don't create the grammar rules; I simply used to teach them. Your example is good and I've already said that there's merit in using some stative verbs in the continuous. Different verbs, different usages, despite them being broadly similar in meaning.

I'm enjoying this meal is def. a continuous action, but 'I like this meal' expresses a state of mind. there's no need to make it continuous, as 'to enjoy' is perfectly adequate for that.

I’d really like to know. Anyway, you would probably consider me a language fascist too.
I spent some years as a tefl teacher and was interested. I went on to do the diploma. My conclusion, unsurprisingly, was stop worrying about the rules for students. Just talk. You are part of the language (r)evolution

You is a traditionalist innit.

Of course it starts on the street. That is the whole point! The properly educated can get in the sea. They don't and can't control language. They just refuse to adapt.
Snap out of it, you clot! Of course language evolves but some new usages that seem on so modern at the time are now hopelessly dated. They then drop out of use.
Then some of them lol up again in another context. However the West Indian slang use of "blood clot" as a pejorative term is much more vulgar than "clot" in 50s Britain.
My money says that "I'm loving it" will go the way of "snap out of it" and children called Sharon, Tracey and Wayne.

Snap out of it, you clot! Of course language evolves but some new usages that seem on so modern at the time are now hopelessly dated. They then drop out of use.
Then some of them lol up again in another context. However the West Indian slang use of "blood clot" as a pejorative term is much more vulgar than "clot" in 50s Britain.
My money says that "I'm loving it" will go the way of "snap out of it" and children called Sharon, Tracey and Wayne.
wtf u on about bro

I spent some years as a tefl teacher and was interested. I went on to do the diploma. My conclusion, unsurprisingly, was stop worrying about the rules for students. Just talk. You are part of the language (r)evolution

Richard, I'm surprised. If you did the Dip and put a few years in at the chalk-face, I cannot see how you could have taught by not explaining the how and why aspects. you say 'unsurprisingly, but I'm certainly surprised. The more I taught, the more I learnt; not an uncommon aspect of life.

Unfortunately, age and lack of usage diminishes me, and I occasionally have to reach under my desk for the pile of textbooks in order to differentiate the conditionals, e.g.

One thing which does piss me off (among many things, that is) is this recent trend to using 'so' to answer a question. This crap has crept into every echelon of society, it seems. (a) it's not necessary, and (b) it's just plainly wrong. It probably started as an attempt to be pretentious but is really silly. 'So' must have something preceding it!

Richard, I'm surprised. If you did the Dip and put a few years in at the chalk-face, I cannot see how you could have taught by not explaining the how and why aspects. you say 'unsurprisingly, but I'm certainly surprised. The more I taught, the more I learnt; not an uncommon aspect of life.

Unfortunately, age and lack of usage diminishes me, and I occasionally have to reach under my desk for the pile of textbooks in order to differentiate the conditionals, e.g.

One thing which does piss me off (among many things, that is) is this recent trend to using 'so' to answer a question. This crap has crept into every echelon, it seems. (a) it's not necessary, and (b) it's just plainly wrong. It probably started as an attempt to be pretentious but is really silly. 'So' must have something preceding it!
My job was to get people communicating. Mistakes did not matter.

My french level is now conversational and much better that I don't worry if I got the gender of the noun wrong. Noone cares, everyone understands. Keep talking. That's where the learning really happens.

Philosophically different.

My job was to get people communicating. Mistakes did not matter.

Bloody Hell; That attitude would have cost me my job. We did have 'communication' classes in the afternoon, but they were largely a farce and recognised as such by the students as not value for money.

12 o'clock or no-one?

I've just finished watching the second part of The History of Writing on BBC4 (1st part last Monday). Absolutely fascinating and coming up to the modern digital age and new languages being conceived for digital communications in Chinese. Uzbekistan, e.g., changed their script/alphabet 4 times within a century: Arabic, Cyrillic, Latin and back (or in another order). Mao tried to change centuries of Chinese script into a Latin-based alphabet; he failed.

Bloody Hell; That attitude would have cost me my job. We did have 'communication' classes in the afternoon, but they were largely a farce and recognised as such by the students as not value for money.
I think I’m with richardg on this one. I understand your viewpoint in an academic setting if results on paper are important. In the real world (IME) my foreign friends fall into two groups - those who are willing to work out what I’m trying to say and run with it, and those (a very small minority) who find it tricky to understand what I’m trying to say if I stay beyond sensible grammar or pronunciation boundaries (frequent) and feel the need to correct me. Guess who I prefer spending time with, and with whom more interesting conversations take place? I like to think I’m in the first group myself when it comes to them trying to converse in English.

Indeed. I remember getting confused looks from French colleagues when I described something as a ‘red herring’.
Idiomatic phrases often don't lend themselves to literal translation do they? I'm struggling to learn Greek and was once told by an agitated taxi driver in Athens that his previous customer had "cinnamon in his hair", at least I think that's what he said. I found out later that it meant someone who was slightly mad, or "a sandwich short of a picnic" as we might say. I expect the taxi driver would have found " ένα σάντουιτς χωρίς πικνίκ " equally mystifying.

Last edited:
I'm struggling to learn Greek and was once told by an agitated taxi driver in Athens that his previous customer had "cinnamon in his hair", at least I think that's what he said. I found out later that it meant someone who was slightly mad, or a sandwich short of a picnic as we might say. I expect the taxi driver would have found ένα σάντουιτς χωρίς πικνίκ equally mystifying.

The Michel Thomas 'method' is highly regarded. I've used it with good success for German and Greek.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=michel...chel+Thomas+greek,aps,192&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_19

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I think I’m with richardg on this one. I understand your viewpoint in an academic setting if results on paper are important. In the real world (IME) my foreign friends fall into two groups - those who are willing to work out what I’m trying to say and run with it, and those (a very small minority) who find it tricky to understand what I’m trying to say if I stay beyond sensible grammar or pronunciation boundaries (frequent) and feel the need to correct me. Guess who I prefer spending time with, and with whom more interesting conversations take place? I like to think I’m in the first group myself when it comes to them trying to converse in English.

My dear Marchbanks, E.F.L. teaching covers a large area of different demands, environments, methods and goals. I taught in a large, very well structured school which had monthly modules, exams, business English etc. over 8 different levels from beginner to Cambridge Advanced and Proficiency. I taught at all ages and at all levels except beginners, but mainly intermediate and above and esp. the exam and advanced classes. We were frequently inspected within the class setting. Each level and class had their allocated text book(s) for class and homework use.

I was also British Council inspector for my school, travelling throughout Britain and Eire vetting and photographing accommodation, verifying the teachers' credentials and writing reports for the office; this occurred over a number of years from 1997; this was in conjunction with my normal teaching. I also did one-to-one concentrated teaching, but always preferred the cut and thrust of the classroom.

Richard, as many other E.F.L. teachers, esp. abroad, may well have not taught in this highly disciplined environment. In the 60s, I taught privately in Milano, and it was mainly conversational and I was ill-equipped to do much else but this still came under the general heading of E.F.L.

Believe me, those foreign students paying considerable sums after uni. or seconded from their job or whatever wanted the grammatical detail in order to not only equate to their own (European) language but also to explain why such and such is used. Explaining prepositional use and that of the present perfect tense are two salient examples here. They wanted to know 'why'; the teacher's job was to explain this usage, which would often differ from their own.

I may be old and grey now, and losing some of that acquired knowledge, but still hold on to that belief in the importance of the structure of our global language. There's a lot more to teaching than structure, of course, but this latter rather depends upon the creative abilities of the teacher, Grammatical structure does not depend upon variables (with the odd exception!). Maybe you can see where I'm coming from, to use an American (?) idiomatic term.:)

advertisement

Back