advertisement

Silliest French word I learnt so far

I find pronunciations of English words that are used in French amusing, sweatshirt is sweetshirt, that always cracks me up. Laddy Dee was a good one too

A la queue leu leu.

Generally I think the French way of repeating rhyming syllables is funny -- foufoune, for example.

Donc always makes me smile because it sounds a bit like bonk.

And there's a fabulous slang word which sounds funny to me -- pookie, I think it means a grass. I discovered it in this wonderful song

And if your eyes aren’t as good as they were you can buy a Seniorenhandy.

Still clueless; what is a 'handy'? (Surely not a hanky, which in itself is an abbreviation)

this is quite funny

Yes, very good, but it's a bit fast and switching between French and English sub-titles is a bit confusing. I get the gist, however, that English vocab. tended to get bastardised, often deliberately (by the government?), hence losing its original meaning and usage.

I do remember that the French government of the time tried to ban the adoption and use of English vocab. or idioms; not that long ago, either. I think 'sandwich' was one of the first foodstuff words used.

Mobile phone.

Ye gods but I would never have guessed. Can't for the life of me think why or how 'handy' crossed the channel and sought asylum in the French language, as I've never heard any phone being called a handy. Maybe those initial eighties bricks had another name and it stuck?

Well, I’ve only heard it in Germany and Austria. Maybe it sneaked into France through the Swiss back door?

advertisement

Back