advertisement

Silliest French word I learnt so far

Tell him about Cholmondeley, Barnoldswick or Milngavie
There’s a small scene in Hilary Mantel’s The Mirror And The Light where Eustace Chapuys, the French-native ambassador from the Spanish Imperial Court complains jokingly to Cromwell that the latter’s elevation to the Lords had merely exchanged one name that he could never pronounce properly (Cromwell) for another (Wimbledon).

Tu les envoie promener, or balader, or paître.
That's as close as I could get too. However "envoie balader" doesn't quite capture that you will ignore them completely and make a point of not speaking to them under any circumstances.

There’s a small scene in Hilary Mantel’s The Mirror And The Light where Eustace Chapuys, the French-native ambassador from the Spanish Imperial Court complains jokingly to Cromwell that the latter’s elevation to the Lords had merely exchanged one name that he could never pronounce properly (Cromwell) for another (Wimbledon).
I used to work with a young French woman who couldn't say "squirrel" . It used to come out "squoow". We had a piece of equipment called a "squirrel logger" that we both used, if she was forced to ask me where it was I'd have hours of fun. "The what, Claire? What's that? " Only when I was in fits of giggles would she snap and reply "L' enregistreur de temperature, merde!"

Tu les envoie promener, or balader, or paître.

That’s to send someone packing, tell them to bugger off. Send to Coventry is just to not talk to them. To really capture it you probably have to spell it out - ne plus parler à quelqu’un or something like that,

I didn't know paître, I had to look it up. I imagine that's what "pâturages" comes from. Interestingly "to put someone out to grass" In English is to force them to retire .

That’s to send someone packing, tell them to bugger off. Send to Coventry is just to not talk to them. To really capture it you probably have to spell it out - ne plus parler à quelqu’un or something like that,
"Ostraciser" is in the French dikko.

Send them to Coventry. (How would you say that in French?)
Send them here maybe.

50428348998_4b6cc07448.jpg

Strange how most of the village signs seem to be missing from the posts.

AngliCism or Anglicisation, Johan, but you meant Swedishisation (Sverige.....?). I'm surprised that globally known model names, let alone those which have been used for anything generically similar, would bother anyone, let alone the logically thinking natives of Sweden. ;)

You are probably right, it should be called 'Swedishisation' (the Swedish word is 'försvenskning'). The original subject of this thread has a name, it seems:

Franglais.

advertisement

Back