advertisement

Silliest French word I learnt so far

Not silly but Guillotine and Garrotte are two incredibly sexy words — especially when placed in threatening proximity to people I don’t like.

For me it's "u" and "ou" sounds I find tricky. I worked for the AA in Boulogne s/Mer for a while in the early 80s. I was terrified of maybe one day having to report to my colleagues in the office that one of our members "a perdu une roue dans la rue" ! :)
That one is a real horrorshow for non native speakers. To English ears the last 2 are inseparable. The first is easier because it's a short "u". I'm a fluent French speaker, some French people mistake me for a native speaker when I'm fully warmed up, but anyone with an ear can spot me as English the minute I try roue and rue.

there's a French nursery rhyme they teach to children to get them used to making the different "u" sounds. It's a cartoon character who has as his catchphrase "Turlututu, chapeau pointu" and I think that this phrase takes you through a good few of the o and u sounds.

That one is a real horrorshow for non native speakers. To English ears the last 2 are inseparable. The first is easier because it's a short "u". I'm a fluent French speaker, some French people mistake me for a native speaker when I'm fully warmed up, but anyone with an ear can spot me as English the minute I try roue and rue.

there's a French nursery rhyme they teach to children to get them used to making the different "u" sounds. It's a cartoon character who has as his catchphrase "Turlututu, chapeau pointu" and I think that this phrase takes you through a good few of the o and u sounds.
:) Yep, but there are no "r"s in that ! It's particularly the combination of r+u / r+ou which finishes me off. Fine on their own, but combined ... :eek:

I find German's guttural Rs are quite difficult.

But that's nothing compared with the 9 "tonal variations" of Cantonese "vowels"...

Edit: brings back good memories of learning how to pronounce the Rs with Beate, whom I'd just met at Berlin Central Station when inter-railing in '91. "Bär"

I find German's guttural Rs are quite difficult.

I would disagree that properly-spoken Hochdeutsch is guttural - one of my co-workers comes from the region of Germany where it's spoken as an everyday language and she is not at all guttural. The local dialects (Swabsich, Bairisch, etc.) are another story entirely...

Can I try to move this discussion onto the biggest problem I have in French -- I just cannot get my head round it and I don't know how best to deal with it. I need help.

I'm talking about the difference between tu and vous.

(At first I used tu everywhere -- being a bit of a soixante-huitard. After a while I could see that this was really important to French people, like, majorly important in a way that no Brit can ever appreciate, and I didn't want to offend anyone, so I decided to use vous all the time. By this time I could speak French fine. Then, one day, in the middle of a conversation with a French woman, she just got up, exasperated and angry, she said effectively that she's upset that I'm using vous with her after all this time and . . . .

I just don't know what to do for the best!)

Can I try to move this discussion onto the biggest problem I have in French -- I just cannot get my head round it and I don't know how best to deal with it. I need help.

When I meet someone I start with vous, and wait for them to move to tu. This generally takes minutes, if not seconds. Then I follow.

I find that as I get more into my dotage shop assistants use tu anyway. I take this to be the French equivalent of Tesco ladies half my age calling me ‘love’ or ‘dear’ and offering to help me find the correct money while I am searching for my specs.

My main problem is seeing friends I haven’t met for a while. I automatically go to vous, then have to backtrack and repeat with tu, after a short gap while my brain dredges up the singular of the verb.

(At first I used tu everywhere -- being a bit of a soixante-huitard. After a while I could see that this was really important to French people, like, majorly important in a way that no Brit can ever appreciate, and I didn't want to offend anyone, so I decided to use vous all the time. By this time I could speak French fine. Then, one day, in the middle of a conversation with a French woman, she just got up, exasperated and angry, she said effectively that she's upset that I'm using vous with her after all this time and . . . .

Has the old practice of tutoyer died out, where you agree to use tu? I found that younger folk use tu all the time for everyone in their age group There's a German equivalent dutzi or something like that, where you have a celebratory drink and agree to use du. As in French, conversations get awfully complicated when you visit a couple and you know one as du/tu and the other as Sie/vous.

Speak english loudly. It's a far better language, tell her. And then give her some mdma to help her chill out.

We usually say tu to colleagues at work, and obviously to kids. I’d never say tu to the headmaster, but she is the only person at school I vouvoie.
I will say tu to my children’s friends, even if I don’t know them.
Kids say vous to their teachers of course.
I use vous for my in-laws – just a matter of respect, but oddly, I say tu to my wife’s uncles and aunts.
A real can of worms this.

So I first noticed how complicated it is when my French got to the level where I could follow a film. There was this tough gangster who was arrested by some tough policemen who were slapping him and yelling at him and the criminal kept his cool completely until . . . one of the cops used tu. And he exploded . . . "who said you could use tu with me?"

And then shortly after I heard a radio interview of some famous singer who was on the barricades in May 68, and she said in passing in the interview "je tutoie tout le monde" The interviewer responded with an astonished voice "même un archevêque?" And she thought for a second and replied "non, pas un archevêque!"

This is just crazy stuff. Incomprehensible for a Brit.

advertisement

Back