advertisement

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Being usually a "black or white" type I surprised myself by voting "not sure"... Heart says yes but head says "this could go badly wrong".... I'd love to see them freed from the machinations of a far right Bojo gov in a Brexit Britain! (and would be jealous of them in that!)
But tourism, whisky and forestry likely won't pay a nations bills and they don't seem to have the resources to go it alone... how much of the north sea oil would they "own" I wonder?
Unfortunately we tend to believe what we are told how could Scotland possibly survive being independent Yet there are countries with populations simlour to Scotland in Europe Independent. It's not mission impossible to be independent though it will lead to a massive change to the system especially taxation. Watching channel 4 news last night a ex-Tory minister tore into Boris saying he has always lied all through his political career. Its young ones coming out of education I really fear for never could I have imagined in our country such bad working conditions with low pay. Food banks , homeless growing at a fast rate, poorer population growing surly we can all see it. . More billionaires than ever before is that the kind of society we want to live in. Given the state of the world I'm surprised there has not been a full scale world war who knows maybe it's around the corner God help us all if it is.

2% of GDP would pay for a small frigate based navy and maritime patrol airforce. Scotland would not be trying to justify a Security Council veto seat.

edit
Denmark is a good example of similar economy and population
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_Defence
Denmark is one of the frugal 4 EU countries. With the expectations built up by the SNP on the benefits of an independent Scotland do you believe this is a fair comparison.

The N.E of England has among the very lowest economic output per capita in Britain, the highest unemployment and lowest education scores and that’s in spite of some of the highest EU regional assistance payments and the presence of Nissan which pumps half a £billion annually into the local economy in direct wages alone. That’s a tragedy.
It’s a pity then that the Brexit pissing contest always involves pointing elsewhere, whether it be Europe or indeed Scotland in order to scream ‘fire’ while they’re inhaling their own smoke. There’s a good reason for it- it’s a distraction from the self inflicted consequences of Brexit and an expression of that old sense of entitlement that accompanies the whole anti-EU, ethic nationalist sentiment that runs so strong in the Shires.
As far as i am aware the N.E. of England has no plans for independence.

As far as i am aware the N.E. of England has no plans for independence.
The tragedy is that the place where you live has ended up at the bottom of the pile because Westminster government saw no reason to invest. That was left to the EU. I’m still waiting to hear from you how you think the N.E will be better off economically once the EU is no longer there with development funding and manufacturing that’s only there because if the single market, has gone. You are going to take a huge hit once outside the EU and there’s no resilience to cope with it.

Now that’s utter mealy mouthed hypocrisy. You’re saying you’ve been cheer leading for deeper economic failure? Why on earth have you been doing that?
Talking about mealy mouthed hypocrisy.

Why have you been cheer leading for deep economic failure for Scotland?

Now that’s utter mealy mouthed hypocrisy. You’re saying you’ve been cheer leading for deeper economic failure? Why on earth have you been doing that?
I don't actually believe the EU will start another trade war, they have enough on their plate, but we must be punished.

The option of benefits was never going to happen, we must be seen to fail, to deter other colonies following us out the door.

this actually deserves another :facepalm, but in the interests of variety,

laugh.gif

What is it that draws you to punishment?
That is the way the EU operates with 'cheese and wine for cars', 'Cars for cows' or dumping of capital gains in low charging areas. We do not control our own country, the decisions the EU makes are beyond our control. The 'cheese and wine for cars' tariff reductions will have a big impact on Europe, even the Eastern European plants set up with EU subsidies and loans.

That is the way the EU operates with 'cheese and wine for cars', 'Cars for cows' or dumping of capital gains in low charging areas. We do not control our own country, the decisions the EU makes are beyond our control. The 'cheese and wine for cars' tariff reductions will have a big impact on Europe, even the Eastern European plants set up with EU subsidies and loans.
That’s your perception. Did you have an upbringing that involved a lot of corporal punishment? ‘Punishment’ figures in so many of the voices supporting Brexit and frequently in yours. Where does that come from?

The usual not a lot of content reply, all that was missing was the cartoon.
It was actually a question to you, did you not see that? I’m interested in learning more about your relationship with punishment and why it figures so often in the language of Brexit advocates. Is it something cultural?

advertisement

Back