advertisement

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That comment was based on what a friend told me a while ago. He was head of BP geo physics Europe until recently.
Oil shortages and the resulting price increases have happened in the past and will most likely happen in the future.

I can agree with the second sentence. The new oilfields left to be exploited in the North Sea are relatively small accumulations that aren’t economic (at practically any price) unless they are tied into existing ageing infrastructure. Waiting around for a time of oil scarcity won't work if their are no pipelines or onshore terminals available to use.

Ive worked in the oil industry for 40 years.

The thing to look out for is when a future English government makes it illegal to capture your own rainwater after corporate entities like Nestle and Coca Cola come in and drain all your aquifers for bottled water supplies and sell it to you at several hundred percent more expensive than municipal water or Bechtel who simply divert all water then up the price of municipal water and work with government to make it illegal to collect your own rainwater for drinking and human consumption (read up in on the Cochabamba Water War to see how it plays out). This is by no means unusual and with the poor state of England’s water infrastructure and dreadful management of its aquifers you have a huge problem just about to happen. Ironically water water everywhere but not a drop to drink, because it’s got excrement and waste in it. Prime areas for “rescue” by corporate entities.
If you watch Rango, you will see the baddies lose control of the water supply.

The Chinese own our local company Northumbrian Water.
Lets hope they don't behave like Mayor John
49069448737_0131d48e3f_b.jpg

I can agree with the second sentence. The new oilfields left to be exploited in the North Sea are relatively small accumulations that aren’t economic (at practically any price) unless they are tied into existing ageing infrastructure. Waiting around for a time of oil scarcity won't work if their are no pipelines or onshore terminals available to use.

Ive worked in the oil industry for 40 years.

which oil, sunflower? ;)

https://www.heraldscotland.com/busi...on-track-to-start-production-in-next-quarter/

https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.u...int-to-new-growth-for-offshore-UK-205562.html

The revenue from this oil would end being given to the EU along with fishing rights as part of rejoining the EU. (in the unlikely event that a proper Brexit occurs)

i think the prospect of scootland becoming independent (not independAnt) must keep you awake at night.

qq cupcake, what, in your opinion, is a "proper" brex*t? a farage brex*t? or a johnsonian version of the species? some other variety? and on what criteria are you basing your opinion?

it's like a madman running about with a syringe full of cancerous cells, trying to inject you and infect you. that is our government, trying to sweet-talk us all into buying into the notion that somehow brex*t is good for the country. it's like saying, don't worry, this cancer won't hurt you really. pile of steaming....

i think the prospect of scootland becoming independent (not independAnt) must keep you awake at night.

qq cupcake, what, in your opinion, is a "proper" brex*t? a farage brex*t? or a johnsonian version of the species? some other variety? and on what criteria are you basing your opinion?

it's like a madman running about with a syringe full of cancerous cells, trying to inject you and infect you. that is our government, trying to sweet-talk us all into buying into the notion that somehow brex*t is good for the country. it's like saying, don't worry, this cancer won't hurt you really. pile of steaming....
I sleep well at night and i am very pro United Kingdom.
I am still not convinced by Dec and others vision of a prosperous independent Scotland.

Last edited:
but why should you be concerned with the prosperity, or lack of, of an independent scootland?

and again: what, in your opinion, is a "proper" brex*t? a farage brex*t? or a johnsonian version of the species? some other variety? and on what criteria are you basing your opinion?

I sleep well at night and i am very pro United Kingdom.
I am still not convinced by Dec and others vision of a prosperous vision of an independent Scotland.
Don’t trouble yourself- you have major and enduring economic problems on your own doorstep about to be made significantly worse by the closure of Nissan. I can sort of understand why you want to distract from that. The envious attacks on far more successful Germany are rather puerile though.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

If you watch Rango, you will see the baddies lose control of the water supply.

Rango was one weird ass film

The problem is not water sequestration, we could all do it if we wanted to — the problem is corporations getting governments to make it illegal to do so, that’s the point you start burning down government and corporation buildings... and courthouses. The right to water is pretty fundamental.

Last edited:
Don’t trouble yourself- you have major and enduring economic problems on your own doorstep about to be made significantly worse by the closure of Nissan. I can sort of understand why you want to distract from that. The envious attacks on far more successful Germany are rather puerile though.

via Imgflip Meme Generator
You are correct the 'cheese and wine for cars' superdeaL with the Japanese is going to be the end of that end of the market throughout Europe whether we leave the EU or not.

but why should you be concerned with the prosperity, or lack of, of an independent scootland?

and again: what, in your opinion, is a "proper" brex*t? a farage brex*t? or a johnsonian version of the species? some other variety? and on what criteria are you basing your opinion?
Why would England, NI and Wales not wish Scotland well if they wish to be independent. I do think the cost of running these neverendums should be met by Scots.
The only Brexit on offer is a no deal Brexit.

Nissan- 6,000+ direct jobs, 24,000 at suppliers. 30,000 jobs. The majority of parts come from outside the UK and the majority of new cars will go for sale in the EU. Remove frictionless trade and just in time supply capability and it’s dead. How will the North East absorb an economic shock on that scale? Better to cancel Brexit. Don’t worry about Scottish independence- you’ve got far more important concerns in your own neck of the woods.

Rango was one weird ass film

The problem is not water sequestration, we could all do it if we wanted to — the problem is corporations getting governments to make it illegal to do so, that’s the point you start burning down government and corporation buildings... and courthouses. The right to water is pretty fundamental.
Possibly the best kiddie film ever?

Nissan- 6,000+ direct jobs, 24,000 at suppliers. 30,000 jobs. The majority of parts come from outside the UK and the majority of new cars will go for sale in the EU. Remove frictionless trade and just in time supply capability and it’s dead. How will the North East absorb an economic shock on that scale? Better to cancel Brexit. Don’t worry about Scottish independence- you’ve got far more important concerns in your own neck of the woods.
But you must have concerns? I am keen to see it, mainly as a voyeur, ie can Scotland make it work or not. And if you do prosper whilst England fails, can I come and live there. But the path seems fraught with similarly serious stuff.

Possibly the best kiddie film ever?

…in truth I don’t really ****ing care. The need for water and post brexit corporate posturing to control it a-la Cocoa Cola, Nestlé or Bechtel and the dreadful state of England’s depleting aquifers is somewhat more concerning.

"The new oilfields are not economic" neither were the old ones when we are the only 'Country' in the World subsidizing Shell and BP to pay their shareholders billions, whilst Norway taxes the -rse of them.
In any case our water will probably be worth more than oil soon:)

advertisement

Back