advertisement

Should Ched Evans be playing professional soccer?

Some people expect judges to hide problematic/dangerous people behind bars with bread and water for the rest of their lives.

Yeah, how unreasonable that the public might think the judiciary have a responsibility to protect the public. If only. There are plenty of relatives of victims who have been killed or seriously harmed by people that should never have seen the light of day after they had already demonstrated their contempt for their fellow citizen.

There ought to be some judicial equivalent of the Hippocratic Oath - "in cases of murder or deliberate serious harm - first prevent opportunity of repeat". Then worry about the offender and their precious rights.

In the real world, a convicted rapist would probably struggle to get his old job back.

Not, it seems, in football - where disgusting and criminal behavior seems to be encouraged.

Not, it seems, in football - where disgusting and criminal behavior seems to be encouraged.
Total rubbish.

In the real world, a convicted rapist would probably struggle to get his old job back.
He might indeed have better chances working some place else. The alternative is to let him rot in prison, fair enough but for this you need to build many many more prisons. Building only one of them takes twenty years until all finances, location, concept etc. habe been set up and have taken the political and administrative hurdles (well I suppose you have that problem in the UK too). So good luck for launching your little project.

If I were running football, or a football club, then I'd not have him anywhere near. Not because of the conviction, or even his protestation of innocence, but because of the attitude the accepted facts and his continued behaviour reveal.
That's your right as an employer. I have no issue with that. However it seems his current employer doesn't share your view, as is his right.

And, FWIW, his job gives him access to vulnerable women.
Paul
No it doesn't. His wealth means that some women will seek him out, as this young woman appears to have done when she was happy to be consuming his drugs and consenting to sex with the other man. That's not the same thing, simply being attractive (for whatever reason) is not at all the same as having access to vulnerable people.

<provocation mode> Is it sure that he was 100% guilty ? </provocation mode>. As far as I know, the judges are in charge of finding this out, not the public. As a result, I don't think we are in a position to expect from him any confession of any sort. Why would we ?
Yes we are sure. The court has established this beyond reasonable doubt. As you say, there is no need for a mea culpa, as guilt is establisged regardless of what he thinks.

Not in my version of the real world. I work in food factories. Were you anything from a window cleaner to a turkey deboner or an accountant, you'd get your job back if you could do it. I wouldn't put you in charge of the crèche, but that's different. Would I put you in charge of 40 evisceration operatives? Of course I would. Half of them have been inside anyway, so to be quite honest someone with convictions for violence is nothing unusual and he might well be at an advantage given the people he has to deal with.

Tony, that has very little to do with football (or it's followers), and everything to do with some men's view of women.

Yeah, I agree with that.

I also think that money and power are playing a big part. It's obvious that Sheffield United want to sign him again because he can score and could generate cash for them. The PFA are a trades union and want to get their player back into work. For them the rape means nothing, it's just something in the way of their goals. Shame on the ****ers.

Jack

I am starting to hope that he proves his innocence and I believe he is still pursuing the matter. Why, because of the clamour to hoist a flag on the role model pole.

Wayne Rooney slept with prostitutes, Ryan Giggs slept with his sister in law for 8 years and Joey Barton stubs cigarettes on young players eyes. I am not comparing crimes but clearly footballers are not role models.

Chef Evans has been found guilty of one of the worst crimes but has served his sentence. I have a horrible feeling that this is more to do with returning to a well paid job than anything else.

In these days where you have to watch your Ps and Qs to avoid being wrongly branded by some as racist,sexist, thissist,thatist and homophobic I feel no need to bite my lip on this one.

Convicted rapists turn my stomach and personally I'd not ever give the f**** time of day again.

There said it:)

That's your right as an employer. I have no issue with that. However it seems his current employer doesn't share your view, as is his right.

So far his employer has agreed to let him train following a request from his union.

As any former con could tell you, once you’ve left prison, having a past conviction for rape would not equate to having a past conviction for theft, or even other forms of violence, such as a drunken punch-up outside a pub. Rightly or wrongly, rape remains an indelible crime, as morally permanent as a tattoo, so why should this be any different for Evans?

This appears to be why, for some, Evans’s attempt at rehabilitation sticks in the craw. His crime, the one that rightly, fairly, and legally, belongs in his past, still continues to make people feel uneasy. It’s not as some claim that he’s being persecuted (Evans has a fair degree of support – even, it seems, from Sheffield United and the PFA), but in a way this doesn’t matter.

While Evans has officially paid his debt to society, and no one disputes that, unofficially – as I suspected – it doesn’t end there. Certainly, it doesn’t stop the likes of Ennis-Hill wishing to exercise her right not to be in any way associated with him. In this way, Evans is trapped in the public imagination –not as a footballer or even as a rehabilitated former prisoner, rather at present as a living, breathing Rorschach-style test for society’s “strong feelings” about rape.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...evans-case-moral-confusion-jessica-ennis-hill

A football manager and a well-known boxer carried on their careers after each killing someone on the road. Evans isn't unique.

If society actually believes in rehabilitation, as it claims to do, then Evans is not more or less entitled to the rest of his life, and living, than any other ex-con. And if the supporters don't like it, then they can show their disapproval in the usual way - there are other teams.

All of these articles use The term rape as a blanket term without nuance. I wonder why the facts of evans conviction and that evening in the hotel are not actually talked about.

I see Sheffield United are threatening to ban perpetrators of attacks on their high profile supporters - story. Whilst I don't condone those attacks, I find it hypercritical that Sheffield United will ban supporters for life, but welcome a convicted rapist back. An own goal in my view.

All of these articles use The term rape as a blanket term without nuance. I wonder why the facts of evans conviction and that evening in the hotel are not actually talked about.

Because the circumstances surrounding the crime, the trial and conviction isn't what is being debated at the moment. What is being debated is whether a professional footballer, who has been convicted of rape, should be able to carry on playing professionally and in the public eye.

Because the facts of the case do not change the fact that Evans raped his victim. And whilst obviously one can say it's not as bad as a violent, stranger rape at knifepoint that's because it lacks violence and terror as aggravating factors not because it is somehow is not having sex with someone without their consent.

Also talk of nuance and not really rape is a long standing canard of those who apologise for, condone, or otherwise qualify sexual violence against women. Those who like to talk about "asking for it", miniskirts, dishevelled clothing and drinking as mitigating factors.

advertisement

Back