advertisement

Should Ched Evans be playing professional soccer?

"Those in positions of influence should respect the role they play in young people's lives and set a good example," said Olympic champion Ennis-Hill.

this is her justification . Sounds like bollocks to me .

She is intellectually out of her depth .

Role model my arse . Footballers are not role models beyond thier ability to play the game and my sons want to play like messi and ronaldo not ched evans .

this role model argument is meaningless but it is always used when thier is nothing of substance to argue .

" dad ,when i play for real madrid , I dont think i will let people take pictures of me in me undies , i dont know why ronaldo does it , he as got enough money "

Surely from the FA's perspective it's all about managing public perception and the credibility of football in general? FWIW I'm someone who has never seen anything but thuggery and loutish behaviour in the game based both upon news reports about players and seeing what moronic pissed-up fans get up to first hand. I just can't see anything good about it at all - it's idiotic tribalism at it's very worst and has a lengthy history of racism, sexism and far-right politics. This case is doing nothing whatsoever to alter my perception of this "sport". I do however have much respect for Jess Ennis (a proper athlete) who perfectly understandably wishes to distance herself from this type of behaviour.

Chaps

There is a lot of holier than thou outrage here which does no one any credit.

The facts are simple.

He did the crime and served his time and now he is out with a clean slate to play his part in society but in return we have to give him a chance.

Once someone is out, they should not be penalised a second time round. If you lack the ability to forgive someone after they have been duly punished then frankly you are not much of a human being.

Find something else to get morally outraged over.

Regards

Mick

Agree 100%. And why should a person convinced of their innocence have to show remorse in order to be rehabilitated? Did the Birmingham 6 show remorse? Course not. I'm not saying this guy was wrongfully convicted as they were, but it is a possibility. The circumstances are complex to say the least.

Surely from the FA's perspective it's all about managing public perception and the credibility of football in general? FWIW I'm someone who has never seen anything but thuggery and loutish behaviour in the game based both upon news reports about players and seeing what moronic pissed-up fans get up to first hand. I just can't see anything good about it at all - it's idiotic tribalism at it's very worst and has a lengthy history of racism, sexism and far-right politics. This case is doing nothing whatsoever to alter my perception of this "sport". I do however have much respect for Jess Ennis (a proper athlete) who perfectly understandably wishes to distance herself from this type of behaviour.

And yet she agreed for her name to be associated with a stand were all of the above you describe goes on ?

"Those in positions of influence should respect the role they play in young people's lives and set a good example," said Olympic champion Ennis-Hill.

this is her justification . Sounds like bollocks to me .

She is intellectually out of her depth .

F. me, that's patronising don't you think?

She is an athlete (not an academic philosopher) in the public eye who is associated by her name on a stand and therefore pulled into a current debate to comment.

Do you think it is bollocks to say what she said or that you don't believe she means it?

F. me, that's patronising don't you think?

She is an athlete (not an academic philosopher) in the public eye who is associated by her name on a stand and therefore pulled into a current debate to comment.

Do you think it is bollocks to say what she said or that you don't believe she means it?

She entered the debate , she is seeking to influence ched evans life from the comfort of her millionaire existence .

her reasons deserve scrutinizing , her reasons are rubbish .

Why on earth would any athlete, or any non-footballer for that matter, want their name to be in any way associated with anything to do with football? Seems barmy to me.

And yet she agreed for her name to be associated with a stand were all of the above you describe goes on ?

Perhaps the club considering reemploying an entirely unrepentant convicted rapist was a step too far? To my mind the club and the FA are crazy - this is disastrous PR unless they really do consider their supporters to be the type of moronic chav-louts that actually condone rape. It will be interesting to see what the crowd 'chanting' is...

PS Surely Jess Ennis's endorsement is of more value to the club? As I've stated I have absolutely zero interest in the "sport", but I'm very curious as to their motivation from a business perspective. Surely the club's stake-holders must see this whole thing as damaging financially? Is the rapist really that good at kicking a football?

Why on earth would any athlete, or any non-footballer for that matter, want their name to be in any way associated with anything to do with football? Seems barmy to me.

This one is easy - She was seeking to cash in upon her olympic success and thus was a media darling for 2 years , she even encouraged me to take out mortage with santander and buy breakfast cereal .

She entered the debate , she is seeking to influence ched evans life from the comfort of her millionaire existence .

her reasons deserve scrutinizing , her reasons are rubbish .

I bet she was dragged kicking and screaming into the debate. Most likely by a journo trying to extract a story.

If she had kept quiet her name would have been dragged out and publicly whipped up as tacit approval of Ched Evens actions.

This one is easy - She was seeking to cash in upon her olympic success and thus was a media darling for 2 years , she even encouraged me to take out mortage with santander and buy breakfast cereal .

Gerald; I understand why she would do things for money but I can't believe she was paid to have her name on the stand at Bramall Lane.

And why the hell not? A professional athletes career is short, use whatever ability and means you have to extend and expand it. Most track stars do not have the earning potential of lets say ... a lawyer :D

I bet she was dragged kicking and screaming into the debate. Most likely by a journo trying to extract a story.

If she had kept quiet her name would have been dragged out and publicly whipped up as tacit approval of Ched Evens actions.

Rubbish , all of the london centric media don't know were Sheffield is or have a stand named after her .

they have not even employed him and her statement is IF they do .

And anyway legally , you can call a stand what you like , she cant do anything about it .

if i was shef utd , i would find another jessica ennis and have a renaming ceremony .

I think you are correct, she could have made her views known to the club directors and if they agree her name would be removed. A win-win for all save the media who want to sell papers / page views, alas her name will now for ever be linked with his as long as search engines continue to creep across the net.

i made no judgement on what she did . :confused:

Apologies, your phrasing seemed like you were critical of her

Originally Posted by Gerald

seems factual to me !;)

any inferred dislike was aimed at the absurdity of a millionaire celebrity promoting mortgages . It is not ennis's fault that athletics remuneration is not the same as football , we all must do what we can to earn a crust .

I Know Jessica Ennis is everywhere you look at the moment but you cant blame her for this. Its not good publicity is it. I wouldnt want a Minstrel SE stand if he was back on the pitch.

Anyway how does it work? Does he get accepted again without other players using the ammunition against him. You know how human feelings run in a competitive workplace. What do the fans chant? Heres Ched, hes back.................. More to the point what are the opposing fans going to sing? It just wont work!

advertisement

Back