advertisement

Should Ched Evans be playing professional soccer?

doctorf

left footed right winger
Well the BBC seem to be loving it and it no doubt sells newspapers but should the fact that Ched Evans, a convicted rapist, who would earn a high salary, preclude him from resuming his job as a professional footballer?

Once he has served his sentence he is free to return to his job if the club is willing to have him back.
What this says about the club and their apparent willingness to employ such a person is another matter and they will have to bear the consequences when supporters and sponsors, understandably, walk away.

You have asked the wrong question . Legally he is allowed to . So the question should be why should Chedwyn Evans not be allowed to play professional football .

I can't judge people based on a court's judgement. I simply do not trust them. Let him play as far as I am concerned.

A jury found him guilty after hearing the evidence, and they found the other guy not guilty. The Appeal upheld the original conviction as sound. If he had expressed any remorse whatsoever then there would be virtually no news value to this at all, but he still insists that he has not committed any crime, and that is the real issue.

The controversy seems to be more that he's still protesting his innocence. I thought the general rule was to sell the player to a lower league club to mitigate some of the financial loss and give him a chance rather than finish his career.

the facts of this matter allow ched evans to maintain he is not guilty like it or not .

If I had been Ched Evans , I would say in hindsite I should not have slept with her but i did not rape her . I accept the jurys verdict of informed consent , but I did not forcefully have sex with her .

She cant remember anything form 2am onwards , she had taken alcohol , cannabis and cocaine , she was alert and was not passed out . She participated in the sex .

the jury decided she wasn't fit to give consent to chad evans but fit to consent to other accused .

There is no evidence that he thought she had not consented , it is a technical argument as to her ability to give consent .

In ched evans mind I am sure he thinks he did not rape her .

I agree with Gerald's comments above. Whether or not he is indeed guilty of rape is open to interpretation as far as I can see, irrespective of the courts findings. It seems likely she did consent but then had a change of mind after the event and in the cold light of day.

I wonder if the gender balance was the other way round and a man woke up after having sex with two women - regretted it but couldn't remember consenting - if the verdict would have been different?

No No no You cant have people associated with rape playing professional football. Even if he has been falsely convicted, his career is ruined. Its over!! The minute the jury said guilty thats it. Time to try something else behind the scenes.

Its not good for the club the fans or the sponsors. Its not good for the whole sport of football. It cant be shrugged off like oh it was only a rape and hes only a young lad...only a bit of raping! Who else keeps a job with a rape conviction?

He will have to move on and keep his head down. Some people lose their careers just because they get a bad reference. This is in a whole different league (pun intended) of wrong doing.

Prison suicides are up 52% since 2012 . The impossibility of rejoining society is just one small factor .

Ched Evans rehabilitation is good for society .Football is a game .

Are some of you actually feeling sorry for the convicted rapist?

Given the every increasing sexist culture in which women are defined by "are they shaggable" and increasing in predatory male behavior , it is probably good for society that Ched Evans went to prison for the abscence of informed consent.

I do feel sorry for him that he cannot get on with his life . And a whole host of women some of whom have made money from selling sexualised images of themselves [ yes you jessica hypocrite ennis ] are jumping on his back to make a general point about this sexualised culture .

Chaps

There is a lot of holier than thou outrage here which does no one any credit.

The facts are simple.

He did the crime and served his time and now he is out with a clean slate to play his part in society but in return we have to give him a chance.

Once someone is out, they should not be penalised a second time round. If you lack the ability to forgive someone after they have been duly punished then frankly you are not much of a human being.

Find something else to get morally outraged over.

Regards

Mick

That was my initial reaction Mick but it doesn't feel quite right, hence my starting the thread to see what other PFMers think

After reading the detailed report on it I would not call what happened rape... obviously the court did on a technical issue though. I think he has good reason to consider himself unfairly convicted based on the information I have seen. It appears the woman was "out of her head" at the time, sufficiently so to think it was a good idea at the time and awake and alert enough to give consent. It may well have been unwise of her to do so and yes she had probably lost most of her inhibitions after drinking so much.... she still consented though and in fact asked Evans to" perform an oral sex act on her" according to the report.
An unfortunate chain of events which highlights the evils of alcohol.... probably, but rape? Not in my book, based on the material linked to.
He's served his time for a crime that is open to interpretation as to whether any crime actually occurred. I'll bet if he had, for sake of argument, killed someone through drink driving and then been released after his sentence there would not have been this outcry, even though someone had lost their life!

Chaps

There is a lot of holier than thou outrage here which does no one any credit.

The facts are simple.

He did the crime and served his time and now he is out with a clean slate to play his part in society but in return we have to give him a chance.

Once someone is out, they should not be penalised a second time round. If you lack the ability to forgive someone after they have been duly punished then frankly you are not much of a human being.

Find something else to get morally outraged over.

Regards

Mick

Its not so black and white. For example some teachers have been 'struck off' and lost their career without even having a criminal record.

In the case in question this guy is a 'role' model and you have to ask what message is being sent out to a very large number of young men. I think that if he showed some remorse and admitted that he behaved stupidly and was sorry then he might be gradually brought back into the fold.

Cheers,

DV

I think that any woman can do anything they want with their bodies. Rape is nothing to do with sexual attraction, it's about power. Ennis-hill isn't a hypocrite as she hasn't done anything to anyone.

You read one two many 70's feminist books .

this was all about shagging and ched evans rather poor but common attitude to women .

His job is on the "stage". Its a stage where society likes people to set an example to the youngsters....... His major problem is that he is now infamous and the job he was doing doesnt allow him to hide away and get on with it

At very best this guy has made a deadly serious error of judgement. However the court has convicted him of rape.

Is this how young footballers think they can behave? For his sake I hope he has a key cutting business lined up. I very much doubt he will ever be involved in the football industry again.

advertisement

Back