advertisement

Rum

Mount Gay Black Barrel is worth a try if you like the peaty island whiskies
- It needs to breath though - as soon as a bottle arrives home the top comes off for a while and I resist drinking any for at least a day - The smoky taste dissipates if the bottle if left undrunk for too long after opening (days rather than weeks)

Like the sound of that - 'We really had better finish it off dear, I have it on excellent authority it goes past its peak rather quickly..' :)

Or 8pints of beer, per man, per day

(albeit, back when it was 'swipes' or 2-3ish% at most, and the safest way to make water safe to drink/keep/transport)

Just opened a bottle of Dictador 12yr old. Tastes like coffee with a hint of cocoa. Very smooth and not too sweet.

Category - Dangerously delicious

Sailor Jerry's is a favourite of mine.
There was a bottle of that on the shelf in Booth's, but I was persuaded to buy the Dictador as it had £7 off its original £40 ticket price.

I'll try a bottle of Sailor at some point.

Appleton Estate had £6 off at Tesco on Friday so I picked up another bottle of that. For the money I don't think there's anything nicer.

There seems to be a bit of a renaissance with rum, as I've noticed lots more choice is being stocked.

Same goes for gin, especially in Booth's. It used to be just the one shelf of it, yesterday, it was two full display racks 3m x2m full of boutique gin!

Last edited:
FiL's favourite is/was OVD, we got a bottle of the Aldi or Lidl own-brand, and he reports it's not a kick in the pants away from the OVD, but at around 1/2 - 2/3rds the price. He drinks it with a mixer of Diet Coke or Pepsi Max.

Likewise, the supermarkets have their own-brand equivalent to Southern Comfort (Asda's is "Deep South") - again, hardly any difference when drunk with a mixer, in this case sparkling mineral water. £12 or so for the Asda stuff, over £20 for the SC ...

Aldi's Old Hopking Dark Rum is OK. And, they've just won an award for own brand rum which is called Seadog.
I've been haunting our local Aldi on the off - chance of picking a bottle up. It's looking like it's a limited supply or a special which is only available at Xmas.

I drink it neat.

FiL's favourite is/was OVD, we got a bottle of the Aldi or Lidl own-brand, and he reports it's not a kick in the pants away from the OVD, but at around 1/2 - 2/3rds the price. He drinks it with a mixer of Diet Coke or Pepsi Max.

Likewise, the supermarkets have their own-brand equivalent to Southern Comfort (Asda's is "Deep South") - again, hardly any difference when drunk with a mixer, in this case sparkling mineral water. £12 or so for the Asda stuff, over £20 for the SC ...
OVD used to be available only in Dundee (where it was bottled) and surrounding area. The only other place outside the area I ever saw it was Buchanan St. bus station in Glasgow. All changed now I imagine.
The 100 proof OVD was pretty wild, two nips (1/4 gill) was like having been drinking all night! Don't know if it's still available 'though...:)

OVD used to be available only in Dundee (where it was bottled) and surrounding area. The only other place outside the area I ever saw it was Buchanan St. bus station in Glasgow. All changed now I imagine.
The 100 proof OVD was pretty wild, two nips (1/4 gill) was like having been drinking all night! Don't know if it's still available 'though...:)
Morrisons sell it occasionally. £16 or thereabouts

I find anything over 50% a bit much for neat drinking, which is how I have Rum, unless it's cheap stuff and then it has to go in a mixer.

The best neat drinker I've tried as yet is the 15 year old El Dorado. Would like to try the 21 YO but it's a bit spendy.

I used to enjoy rum n coke in my late teens/ early twenties, mixing thus meant brand didn't really matter, just a choice of dark or white. This fell off my drinking map after an almost overnight dislike of coke.
Much later on I refound rum in the marques of Cacique and Fabuloso, both Venezuelan I believe. Cacique was my preference with 7up or straight. Certainly no connoisseur but I must look out for something drinkable here.

Vodka is my usual poison, on ice or mixed. Must be a normal Polish or Russian brand, no European muck or designer brand ****ery.

Have we done a vodka thread....?

Snaffled a bottle of the award winning Seadog from Aldi. Paid £16.99.

It's a 40% black spiced rum, and as an introduction to spiced rum, (this being my first ever bottle) it's very nice.

Quite smooth with a vanilla and cinnamon taste. Medium legs running down the glass.

Category - Moreish

advertisement

Back