advertisement

Rum

monkfish

pfm Member
Please excuse me if rum has been covered, I can only remember references in other threads regarding drinks.

My weapon of choice (and mass destruction quite easily) at the moment is Woods old navy rum at 57%vol, by golly it's strong stuff but very good, I've just had a bullshot, (stock and rum) and that put a smile on.

Other rums I've tried have been

OVD - very popular here (Dundee) at one time (bottled in the town).
Flor de cana 5 yr old - very nice much lighter in colour and taste to the previous two.
Havana club 3, 5 and 7 year old, nice rum, used to bring loads back duty free.
Langs banana rum, no longer available (everyone went bananas).
Black heart and Lemon heart, so long ago I can't remember if I liked them.
Bacardi white, dark and one in between - was my drink of choice for yonks, a bit bland for my tastes today.
Morgans spiced - tastes like cream soda/vanilla, not keen.
Koko Kanu coconut rum, a bit sweet but pleasant, good for penis colada.

Amazon have loads and there are a few on my list, but this can get expensive, any advice etc would be welcome.
Regards
Jim

I got quite ill on rum on my eighteenth birthday and haven't touched much since except the odd tot of Woods or Pusser's British Navy Rum (Nelson's Blood) 55.4% ABV.

Please excuse me if rum has been covered, I can only remember references in other threads regarding drinks.
....., any advice etc would be welcome.
Regards
Jim
I'm having a bit of a rum thing, to the extent that it has almost completely replaced Armagnac as my late night weapon of choice.
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva and Mount Gay XO are both solid choices.
If you want the equivalent of a hifi website, replete with OCD/connoisseurship then try (with a pinch of salt)

https://www.rumratings.com

Last edited:
On a very cold day one January, when I had cycled up to a Pub on the edge of the Berkshire Downs, the landlord introduced me to a drink he called Owbridges - presumable named after the cough medicine. This concoction had been introduced to him by one of his customers who had been in the submarine service. It was a mixture of Rum with Ginger Wine; jolly good it was to and just what was needed on a cold day. Presumably, mixing the very strong rum ration with a ginger based beverage stretched it out and added a warming note separate from the alcohol itself. I think in weather like we are having now I will go for a cold beer.

I got quite ill on rum on my eighteenth birthday and haven't touched much since except the odd tot of Woods or Pusser's British Navy Rum (Nelson's Blood) 55.4% ABV.

I also did similar. Leaving party for me from Shell Mex & BP ltd. Think it was 3 pints and 17 rum and blacks. Staggered back to work, sent home, mother none too pleased when I vomited close to our front gate. On entering our house mum got hold of my hair and pulled me upstairs, put me across the bed with my head in a bucket slapping me hard to the back of the head. I was unable to lift my arms for protection and her parting shot was 'Never come home like that again' which I never did. The bizarre bit being the reason I had to leave Shell was because I refused to cut off my mod style hair.

Anyway, I started to drink rum again, after some 40 years later, and I enjoy the odd snifter.

Bloss

I agree on Woods as a ‘sipper’.
For a mixer the Old Hopking at Aldi is hard to beat at £10. I’m not really a rum and coke bloke but a great summer drink is half a lime squeezed in a glass, measure of rum then topped up with a decent ginger beer - lots of ice. Trouble is it’s very more-ish.

In my case, when I was 14. Crawling upstairs while my very religious aunt was visiting didn't impress. I have never touched dark rum since.

Chairman's Reserve from St Lucia.

Introduced itself whilst watching cricket there.

Diplomatico and Mount Gay XO are on a par.

I love rum, my favourite by a long way is Eldorado.

I have substituted scotch for this rum maker, it’s just delicious.

There are three readily available varieties, 12, 15 or 21 year olds. I always have a bottle of 15yo around and if you really want to try the best and have enjoyed other rums, spend the extra (it’s £80(!!!)) on a bottle of the 21yo.

Just a little ice and you’ll be amazed.

I love rum, my favourite by a long way is Eldorado.

I have substituted scotch for this rum maker, it’s just delicious.

There are three readily available varieties, 12, 15 or 21 year olds. I always have a bottle of 15yo around and if you really want to try the best and have enjoyed other rums, spend the extra (it’s £80(!!!)) on a bottle of the 21yo.

Just a little ice and you’ll be amazed.

Seconded. Far and away the best Rum around IMO.

Eldorado used to be the drink of choice of Glasgow's less fortunate alcoholics, AKA jaikies, that and Lanliq which are both fortified wines, don't know if they're still produced now that Buckfast has replaced both these days.

Gas and milk (town gas) was another tipple of choice along with gas and hair lacquer, back in the day.

God you can still buy it, check out the reviews:D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0058HU3FW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Seconded. Far and away the best Rum around IMO.

Good, I’m glad it has other fans :) I just love it. Probably a bit warm atm for Rum, but in the colder months it’s just amazing.

Eldorado used to be the drink of choice of Glasgow's less fortunate alcoholics, AKA jaikies, that and Lanliq which are both fortified wines, don't know if they're still produced now that Buckfast has replaced both these days.

Gas and milk (town gas) was another tipple of choice along with gas and hair lacquer, back in the day.

God you can still buy it, check out the reviews:D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0058HU3FW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I doubt they taste very similar!!!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back