advertisement

Rum

Hi Martin,

I do enjoy Goslings Black Seal from Bermuda. Also got a bottle of their 151! Not a sipping Rum! Although your free to try it next time you’re up this way.

I really should take you up on that, one of these decades; ATB meanwhile :)

Appleton Estate had £6 off at Tesco on Friday so I picked up another bottle of that. For the money I don't think there's anything nicer.

I tried the Appleton Estate and did not get on with it, bit coarse or 'strong' tasting for me. A bugger as it was on offer.

One of the very finest sipping Rums I’ve tasted (don’t you dare mix it!) and only about £40.

Can I add Kirk & Sweeney 12 year old (again for sipping), and Duppy Share as other interesting rums to try.

Finally got hold of a bottle of Duppy Share from Sainsbury's as it is on offer.

Bearing in mind I take rum neat with ice (unless it is horrendous, therefore hidden with cola) I found the Duppy lovely, and a touch of burn as it slides down. Not my favourite though, and I am not in a rush to get another bottle. Saying that, I need to have a proper go at it.

Finally got hold of a bottle of Duppy Share from Sainsbury's as it is on offer.

Bearing in mind I take rum neat with ice (unless it is horrendous, therefore hidden with cola) I found the Duppy lovely, and a touch of burn as it slides down. Not my favourite though, and I am not in a rush to get another bottle. Saying that, I need to have a proper go at it.

Duppy is nice but it is not a patch on the other two I recommended (12 yr old Kirk & Sweeney, & Diplomatico).

Aldi have brought out an own label limited supply rum called Crossbones. Available in Dark spiced or Golden. I'm enjoying a glass from a bottle of the Dark in the evenings, and at £14.99 a bottle is a nice sipper.

Quite smooth with a nice afterburn and good legs on the glass.

I'm having a bit of a rum thing, to the extent that it has almost completely replaced Armagnac as my late night weapon of choice.
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva and Mount Gay XO are both solid choices.
If you want the equivalent of a hifi website, replete with OCD/connoisseurship then try (with a pinch of salt)

https://www.rumratings.com

My Sister bought me a bottle of that back from Barbados. I am mostly a whisky drinker and occasionally brandy, but it seems a fairly refined spirit...

One of the very finest sipping Rums I’ve tasted (don’t you dare mix it!) and only about £40.

Can I add Kirk & Sweeney 12 year old (again for sipping), and Duppy Share as other interesting rums to try.

Finally got a bottle of Kirk and Sweeney 12 yr. On offer at £28 Sainsbury's.

Crikey, the bottle is heavy! A tasty sip over ice, up there with the other 'sippers' that I like. Thanks crimsondonkey.

Any Cachaça fans here? I like the rough stuff as opposed to the finer varieties. It needs to taste like floor cleaner with a bit of fresh lime and sugar to take the edge off it.

advertisement

Back