advertisement

Rum

I've never tried the white rums, what are they like, purely for mixers? I must admit I like dark rum, preferably neat and no ice, Eldorado 15 is the best I've tried like that, would love to try their 21.

Eldorado used to be the drink of choice of Glasgow's less fortunate alcoholics, AKA jaikies, that and Lanliq which are both fortified wines, don't know if they're still produced now that Buckfast has replaced both these days.

Always had Eldo above Lanny personally speaking, but am no so fussy these days. Premium Cider from Aldi does the trick an only £2.49 a bottle. Ah try to avoid the Bucky as it gets me a bit hyper. But overall ah've cut down a lot. :D

I've never tried the white rums, what are they like, purely for mixers? I must admit I like dark rum, preferably neat and no ice, Eldorado 15 is the best I've tried like that, would love to try their 21.

If you like the 15, you’ll love the 21..get yourself a treat sometime. It’s basically a more impressive drink.

The Pusser's is lovely stuff, they sent me a spiced Chairman's reserve by mistake, sent back, I have a bottle of Havana club 7 year old I got in Tesco for £20 yesterday, very nice as well.

I will get a voucher for the chairmans mistake so the next venture is a toss up between 12 year old el dorado or diplomatico, unless there are other suggestions around the £35 mark.

another vote for Chairmans reserve St. Lucia rum, very nice.

We drank it over in St. Lucia, recommended by the locals.

The Pusser's is lovely stuff, they sent me a spiced Chairman's reserve by mistake, sent back, I have a bottle of Havana club 7 year old I got in Tesco for £20 yesterday, very nice as well.

I will get a voucher for the chairmans mistake so the next venture is a toss up between 12 year old el dorado or diplomatico, unless there are other suggestions around the £35 mark.

yes, I do like the Havana club 7... and even the Havana Club Especial Rum is lovely, but I'm not a fan of their Havana Club Rum Anejo 3..

Was in the Sainsburys area so picked up a bottle of Chairman's reserve, nice rum, smooth, not too sweet and a wee bit smoky, a bargain at £20.

Another bargain I was tempted with was Kirk & Sweeney 12 yr old rum, £32 in Sainsburys, £40 from Amazon.

Have tried another three.
Lamb's navy rum, lots of taste, a bit sweet but quite smooth, £14
Appleton estate signature blend, nice, fruity, a lovely taste, £15
The Kraken, a spiced rum, not for me, sweet tasting, expensive at about £25, I only had a drink.

Have tried another three.
Lamb's navy rum, lots of taste, a bit sweet but quite smooth, £14
Appleton estate signature blend, nice, fruity, a lovely taste, £15
The Kraken, a spiced rum, not for me, sweet tasting, expensive at about £25, I only had a drink.

I really did not get on with the Appleton estate signature blend, a bit rough I thought, and The Kraken is unpleasant to both myself and the missus dislikes also. I will try the Lamb's next.

My dad was in the Royal navy when they still got their tot of rum. It was the consistency of syrup and they would water it down and use it for currency especially in the Caribbean and south seas. I can't remember whet the proof was but I assume pretty high.

For those that enjoy the spiced rum variety, then if you google 'Masters of Malt' and go to the rum section - Clarkes Court Spicey Rum has finally re-appeared after a good few years absence. For me it is somewhat different to the original of some 10 years ago, but we'll worth trying. Just about managable for sipping, but I prefer with a drop of coke and a cube of ice.

Have sampled a Morgan's spiced rum & Cointreau mix - tasted just like an orange flavoured Aero bar :)

I really did not get on with the Appleton estate signature blend, a bit rough I thought, and The Kraken is unpleasant to both myself and the missus dislikes also. I will try the Lamb's next.

I agree the AESB is a bit fiery, but I do like the taste, Lamb's was a surprise, easy drinking and cheap, price varies between £13-18.

My dad was in the Royal navy when they still got their tot of rum. It was the consistency of syrup and they would water it down and use it for currency especially in the Caribbean and south seas. I can't remember whet the proof was but I assume pretty high.

57%, taken with water and lime juice usually, if the crew were suspicious of the purser watering the ration, they would be asked to put rum and gunpowder on the base of a barrel, if it ignited it was taken as proof of the alcohol content.

I've a 1.125 litre bottle of Bundaberg overproof (57.7 %) which is strong stuff. All the way from Sydney airport via my daughter. Lasts me about 10 years as it takes me a long time to recover.

Last edited:
Mount Gay Eclipse - occasionally on offer at supermarkets. The first time I tasted this I thought it was £30-40 a bottle cognac - VERY smooth. It needs to breath though - as soon as a bottle arrives home the top comes off for a while and I resist drinking any for at least a day. Without the breathing it can be as rough as cheap VSOP brandy. It needs nothing except time to enjoy - beautifully smooth, mellow sipping spirit.

Mount Gay Black Barrel is worth a try if you like the peaty island whiskies. It is aged in burnt oak barrels and has the same smoky taste, but quite mild. The smoky taste dissipates if the bottle if left undrunk for too long after opening (days rather than weeks), it then tastes like Eclipse.

We use disgusting spirits as antifreeze for the Ice Cream machine - such was the fate of some appalling coconut flavoured premium gin.

let me guess Hoxton Gin?

I have a running joke about that stuff with a load of cocktail bar managers that I did some consulting for.........

I've a 1125 litre bottle of Bundaberg overproof (57.7 %) which is strong stuff. All the way from Sydney airport via my daughter. Lasts me about 10 years as it takes a long time to recover.
Not surprised; thats about half a pint a day for ten years!

;)

advertisement

Back