advertisement

Rega Planar 1 versus Planar 2

Does a cartridge need to be expensive to play well, or not?With a entry level cartridge you can get good results to?

Does a cartridge need to be expensive to play well, or not?With a entry level cartridge you can get good results to?

Sure you can get good results
Provided the deck is correctly set up.

No idea if a M97xe will fit without the need of using shims but getting a ATN91R replacement stylus to a Carbon will be cheap upgrade.

The Shure is mighty fine too, more civilized and refined, very natural, perhaps not as dynamically.
Unfortunately I believe Shure has ceased cartridge manufacturing.

I had a Planar 2 in 1991. It was black, with green logo and a few green bits on the RB250 arm. I think I paid about £185 for it with 'Bias' MM cart. I am pretty sure that it, and many like it are still about. There is no reason why one which has been looked after with reasonable care should not still perform well. The only faults I ever came across with them when I worked for a Rega dealer were that occasionally the bearing spindle could come loose in the plastic sub platter, easily fixed with a drop of superglue, ..or that the ball in the bottom of the bearing housing could get worn, or be lost. That's it. That vintage of Planar 2 and Planar 3 ( usually with RB300 arm) are well worth seeking out IMHO

I have completely lost track of the current Rega range but on a quick listen in an unfamiliar system, I was not overly impressed with a current Planar 1, c.f. my admittedly distant memory of my P2.. IYSWIM..

The Flexson VinylPlay does appear to offer a lot for the discounted price. I wonder how long it will be before Rega release something similar under their own brand?

xvinylplay-gallery-3_2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6sSxFBGLf8.jpg

Six months, apparently :)...

http://www.rega.co.uk/planar-1-plus.html

And the Discwasher líquid, is it ok?
With aluminium pipe cantilevers, there is the risk of fluid wicking up the pipe and breaking down the rubber damper. Not so with the plastic rod of the Carbon, however, there is always the risk of the fluid breaking down the adhesive that bonds the tip to the cantilever. Budget audio-technica cartridges do tend to be less sensitive to the latter risk, however, it is best to err on the side of caution.

The SC-2 brush is well worth having and does work very well dry, IME.

FWIW, I tend to only use fluid; AT-607 and Nagaoka AM-801, to loosen the serious tartar on tips that come with some of the used tables that I buy and restore as hobby these days.

Last edited:
And my upgrade path? I have three alternatives:
1) Kep all the same as it is now, with the Carbon and the Performance Audio 2 QED IC.
2) Change the Carbon for a Nagaoka MP 110
3) Change the IC for a superior QED, like the Reference 40.

I think the Rega Carbon is a great little cartridge; I've got one mounted on an RB220 (its natural home) on a modified Stanton ST.150. I've not felt the need to change the stylus TBH.

advertisement

Back