advertisement

Rega Planar 1 versus Planar 2

The Fono MM sounds better than the Mini and the differences are clearly audible with the Carbon. So it depends on your budget and how often you will be playing records.

So it depends on your budget and how often you will be playing records.
Thank you Dave,
Yes, I will play records regularly, so I´m looking after the Fono MM. Yesterday I went looking for a few shops that sell records, I found one that sells second hand records and news ;)

I had the chance to hear today a Rega Planar 3. Great turntable, it is very musical and engaging.Of course if it is for play records ocasionally, the Planar 3 is useless.It is a source for a main use. I guess tha Planar 2 should be fine for my purposes.It was OK to listen the Rega, now I know how the turntable sounds, and it is easier to make my decision. I liket the Rega, the turntables are diferente from their cd players...I mean, the way how both sound.

I don´t understand why Rega put the Carbon cart on the RB 220. Such tonearm needs a better cart,no?Is it for economic reasons?I mean, with a better cartridge the price would be higher!

Sure it is economic reasons.

What do you feel are missing on the Carbon cartridge in the P2 ?

And what other cartridge did you compare to ?

Next up in Rega hiearchy is a Bias 2 which is handbuilt and quite more expensive, though I believe you can order fitted on a P2, at extra $ offcourse

Carbon is an OEM Audio Technica AT91 if memory serve, Sure there are better (expensive) AT choice up the range.
I remember when Rega used Ortofon OM5 as bundles, it was awfull and I much prefer a Carbon which I use on a P1 upstairs.

I find the carbon a little rough round the edges and lacking in depth and detail... but it costs £26 and for that price it's pretty good. I love Rega and find their products offer great value on whole... but I'm not struck on their MM cartridges. There are plenty of other good options for a Planar 2, a Nagaoka MP100/110 or an Ortofon 2M red will work nicely without being overkill. The Nagaoka cartridges are warm and smooth and whilst the Ortfon is a little more upfront.

Just try the Carbon for a bit first though, it's already included with the deck and if you're satisfied with how it sounds, you might as well stick with it and buy some more vinyl instead.

So I´ve bought the Planar 2!With the 2 I have an upgrade path, unlike the Planar 1;)
Hmm. Be careful. In my experience the best upgrade to a Rega 2 is to sell it and buy a better deck. There's nothing wrong with a P2 and they will certainly stand having a decent cartridge fitted, but a £200 RP2 with £200 of "upgrades" does not make it a £400 deck, and you won't get your money back if you sell. Better to sell on the P2 when you want to do better and put the money into the deck that you want.

Better to sell on the P2 when you want to do better and put the money into the deck that you want.
You might be right.Thank you for share your experience.For a starter I think the P2 is a good deck, and for now I´m buying a few LP´s, and when I get more records, then I think about swapping it for a P3.

Hmm. Be careful. In my experience the best upgrade to a Rega 2 is to sell it and buy a better deck. There's nothing wrong with a P2 and they will certainly stand having a decent cartridge fitted, but a £200 RP2 with £200 of "upgrades" does not make it a £400 deck, and you won't get your money back if you sell. Better to sell on the P2 when you want to do better and put the money into the deck that you want.

I think this is correct with the Regas. I recently bought an RP3 which is lovely for the money but if you look at adding the external psu and replacing the elys2 with an exact or similar then you may as well have sold the RP3 and bought an RP6 as a package. So I suspect I'll hold off on the incrementals.

As ever, don't build it if you can buy it. Many years ago when I was into cars I fancied building a hot Mini. So I had a look at what was out there, priced the bits, and fairly rapidly arrived at a figure of £5k. At that time you could buy a very nice Peugeot 205 GTi for that sum, and have a ready-made car that would run rings round any Mini. If you want to build it because you want to build it, then crack on, but don't expect to ever see the money again. Rather like the kitchens and bathrooms thread elsewhere, if you buy a house in decent order for £200k and spend £50k on a new kitchen, bathroom, windows, whatever, you don't have a house that is now worth £250k. Do it for yourself at the time if you want to, but if you can buy what you want, then do it.

@nbaptista Did you not once have a planar 2?

Wrt a phonostage there is an angle audio audiophile+ in the classifieds right now, that would do the business very well, especially so, if you later bought a linear psu for it.

advertisement

Back