advertisement

Rega Planar 1 versus Planar 2

Ortofon or Goldring ? Anyone have experience with these two brands?
I’ve just stuck an Elys on an RP1 (purchased both today). When I had an Elys on a P5/TT-PSU I wasn’t massively struck (although it had unknown hours on it)... But the one I bought today was brand new (although well discounted) and it sounds great on the RP1, this combo punches well above it’s weight, there seems to be natural synergy between them.

Although if you’re specifically looking at Ortofon or goldring, I’m a long term fan of Ortofon, about 80% of the cartridges I’ve owned have been Ortofon... for a good reason.

Funny LF
Last year I gave up my Planar3/Elys
After maybe 50-75 hours of run-in I ditched it, just wouldn't open up

Earlier I had a Bias which was fairly good and two Exacts, one of these was insane good in the Prat, involvment department

Now looking to get my Carbon fitted a ATN91R replacement stylus
Would love to try new Audio Technica range, afraid they are too bright though

Funny LF
Last year I gave up my Planar3/Elys
After maybe 50-75 hours of run-in I ditched it, just wouldn't open up

Earlier I had a Bias which was fairly good and two Exacts, one of these was insane good in the Prat, involvment department

Now looking to get my Carbon fitted a ATN91R replacement stylus
Would love to try new Audio Technica range, afraid they are too bright though
The last Elys I had was dull as dishwater but I bought this one because I couldn’t lose money on it if I didn’t like it, I paid just shy of £54 for it, brand new sealed, I’d have gotten that back easily... I’m not selling it though, it sounds fab on the RP1 which I paid £98.45 for, brand new sealed. Bargain of a lifetime, I got it home at 3.00, had it set up by 3.30 with the Elys and I’ve been listening to it constantly since!

So should I give a try to an Elys 2?It´s easy to set it up, so for me was great.
Well a Rega dealership will almost certainly have one fitted to a deck (probably a P3) so you could go listen before you buy to be sure... but it works great on my RP1, it’ll be a very noticeable improvement.

Because that's the way they are designed and built. They feel that any movement between stylus assembly and cartridge body is not desirable, so it's fixed.

You can p/x a Rega cartridge for a new one. About the same price as a stylus assembly for other makes.

So, nobody knows the Nagaoka cart? I would like to get some feedback...I could get the mp100 or the 110!
I’ve tried one a long time ago, they’re warm and smooth sounding but lack a little in drive/excitement for me. They’re nice though!

I think I would need to upgrade too my actual speakers, no? I don´t know if a cartridge upgrade with my actual speakers(Epos M15 floorstands) would be worthwhile ...Before buy the Planar I heard a Rega planar 3 with Davis Acouistic speakers, and just after swapping the speakers for na Anphiom the planar 3 showed(to show) all is finesse!

advertisement

Back