advertisement

Rega 50th anniversary: what’s next?

Kudos to Rega

Rega-planar-3-50th-anniversary-edition-hifi-news-may-2023-2.jpg

Great VFM package, I was hoping for a black plinth with a real wood (sustainably sourced) surround like the original Planar.
At the prices asked for wood these days, I suspect the anniversary package would have ended up having to be priced at well over a grand with real tree on.

Also, but for some Australian market Planar 3, it was strictly original Planar (only 200 made) and original Planar 2 that had the real wood surround. One could say that Rega has already paid homage to these early cosmetics via Planar 9, Planar 25, P9, and P7/P5.

Limited run of Planar 3 with wood look plinth, p6’s power supply, and other cosmetic uplifts announced. Looks like a nice option for those in the market for a P3 level deck?

Thanks for putting my comment, as above, on the back of the correct, already existing thread. Sorry, a bit late to the party!!! Saved me deleting the thread title!

...but, I think my real, solid walnut plinthed LP12 has a better look, but at the price of the plinth alone, it really should do!

As a science experiment, I'd love to take the P6 plinth and put all the gubbins from the Naia on it - bearing, subplatter, platter, motor + controller, arm, braces, feet...

I've been perfectly happy with my (replinthed) Lenco GL75 but would consider buying one of these on looks and simplicity alone, and transplanting the Audiomods arm from my Lenco to it.

Installed my daughter’s 30 th Anniversary deck last night. Didn’t get too much time to listen to it but it looks good in person. Certainly better than the photos. My daughter reckons its better at 45 RPM than the standard wall wart on her one 45 RPM LP but I can’t comment as I never heard it on the standard deck.
Installation wise it was even easier than the normal one as the counter weight was finger tight (think valve gauge) on the 30 th anniversary deck rather than needing force to move which might have put off a novice. Also the decks own power switch is blanked off so no dilemma (choice?) as to how to switch it on/ off.
Maybe it’s my daughter’s system but I would have been disappointed in the difference in sound quality if I’d paid full retail for the Neo PSU and the “premium” belt.

Overall though it’s definitely worth the £19 surcharge on RRP (but actually £49 cause we lost the £30 discount we got when we bought the original).

Hi DinAlt, were you able to directly compare a Planar 3 w Elys with the 50th anniversary Planar 3 w Elys / Neo and new belt ?

Unsure of the £19 "surcharge" as the Planar 3 w Elys is £799 RRP and the Anniversary in Walnut finish with NEO power supply and the EBLT belt included is £899 RRP meaning the Neo and Belt which are £260 and £17 respectively cost an extra £100 so a saving of £177 off the RRP.

advertisement

Back