advertisement

Rega 50th anniversary: what’s next?

Getting back to those Rega tour photos posted on the German blog that was linked to uptrend, I was rather intrigued by the following shot of Planar 6 assembly, particularly wrt the following excerpt regarding the plinth construction from Rega's web site.

'It is the first new Rega turntable to be constructed with an ultra lightweight Tancast 8 polyurethane foam core plinth (a material developed for the aerospace industry). This material is sandwiched between a new HPL (high pressure laminate). HPL is exceptionally thin whilst extremely rigid...'
It had occurred to me back when Planar 6 was released that despite being 'extremely rigid', an 'exceptionally thin' skin won't necessarily lend itself to having things fastened directly on, especially so, if there is some stress expected, as with the lid hinges, for example. Unlike with fibreboard core plinths, one can't simply fasten screws through an outer laminate and expect the foam core to help hold things firm, so one either need fit threaded inserts and/or get creative in other ways.

With respect the the above, and taking the dustcover hinges first, note the pairs of access holes into which some sort of embedded companion fasteners are inserted, to which the hinge plates screws can fasten. Then there is the interesting lower plinth brace shape that extends round the motor cavity and forms a frame to which both the 'Zero Vibration Circuit' PCB and motor cover can be fastened to (note the tiny pilot hole at the rear motor cover fastening point). And lastly, the tray of feet with integral mounting posts in the foreground, and the one visible small hole into which the rear foot is mounted, not to mention the hand press, appear to indicate that these are directly pressed in all round.

Thankfully, Planar 6 plinths don't require any wire routing channels, as Neo turns the deck on/off and plugs straight into the 'Zero Vibration Circuit' via access hole within the motor cover.

rega-2022-33-alu-double-brace-verstaerkung.jpg

It had occurred to me back when Planar 6 was released that despite being 'extremely rigid', an 'exceptionally thin' skin won't necessarily lend itself to having things fastened directly on, especially so, if there is some stress expected, as with the lid hinges, for example.

Yes, Rega have thought of this of course. For example the arm does not screw into the plinth but into threaded inserts which are in turned screwed to the lower brace. So the arm is effectively attached to the top and bottom brace, not the plinth.

Yes, Rega have thought of this of course. For example the arm does not screw into the plinth but into threaded inserts which are in turned screwed to the lower brace. So the arm is effectively attached to the top and bottom brace, not the plinth.
Here's a Rega tech showing the braces/mounting system of the skeletal plinths. The screws and standoffs round the smaller main bearing hole are simply there as a means of completing the model, i.e. the main bearing well flange atop and nut/washer beneath clamps these brace ends to the plinth.

rega-2022-12-planar-8-space.jpg

Last edited:
I was rather intrigued by the following shot of Planar 6 assembly ..... note the pairs of access holes into which some sort of embedded companion fasteners are inserted, to which the hinge plates screws can fasten.

I wondered about those too, great observation and explanation.

I was hoping for a black plinth

Admittedly I need to get used to the looks, remind me too much of Project decks.
Maybe when I see them live I change my mind and order ?

I would have hoped for a revised Exact in another body color, at least just a better looking color, yellow always looked odd to me, indeed on a walnut deck.

As an anniversary edition I feel it should have been in Rega green (more distinctive and more of a nod to the brand), but as a non-turntable user and not in the market for one I’m not sure I have a voice here. I’m sure it will be a great success nonetheless.

As an anniversary edition I feel it should have been in Rega green (more distinctive and more of a nod to the brand), but as a non-turntable user and not in the market for one I’m not sure I have a voice here. I’m sure it will be a great success nonetheless.
You certainly do have a voice. As a long-standing Rega user myself I'm rather grateful for the alternatives to the gloss laminate finish - they do scratch easily in my experience. New P3 looks fab.

I would have hoped for a revised Exact in another body color, at least just a better looking color, yellow always looked odd to me, indeed on a walnut deck.

I love the yellow, looks great on my high gloss white RP6, so much I got yellow Rega mat for the platter (now seemingly not available).

Reactions: RoA
You certainly do have a voice. As a long-standing Rega user myself I'm rather grateful for the alternatives to the gloss laminate finish - they do scratch easily in my experience. New P3 looks fab.

I'm sort of tired of the gloss black finish.
Matte Black as on new P1 and P6 is my taste, each to their own.
Green :) what a great idea, walnut must be choosed for marketing reasons.

The walnut finish at very first glance, to me, I wasn't really all that taken by it. Then the thought of how nicely it would match my walnut Guru Juniors along simple Naim XS3 and ND5XS2 streamer, it all seemed to come together and hatch a crazy plan....must resist....Nah!:)

advertisement

Back