advertisement

Question Time

Sounds like it's almost time to take it to the streets. My money is on the youngins.

That's not a bad point, it would certainly spruce it up. I organised a QT style event in a college a couple of years ago with local politicians, the kids are even less forgiving, they want the bottom line and not all the film-flam that goes with it.

Fiona Bruce's contempt for all things Labour was beyond doubt last night, shocking scornful in her treatment of a very calm very dignified Emily Thornberry. Panelist heckling and interrupting an audience member asking a question then complains about being interrupted himself, what a sh1tshow, we are doomed.

Fiona Bruce mirrored exactly what the public want to know;
what is Labour’s position?
Even the shadow foreign secretary couldn’t answer with any clarity whatsoever.

The producers stack the audience and encourage them to ask the most attention-grabbing question they can think of. This isn't an accurate picture of the public - it's a picture of a BBC producer's idea of the public. See 63Up for an alternative.

Really hope you are right. The Tory papers are breast feeding the mob with a pack of lies and I worry that enough want to hear and believe it. Fingers crossed the decent British character that I usually encounter in any dealings or visits to the UK quietly send Johnson and Farage to the trash can were they belong when the election comes.

Really hope you are right. The Tory papers are breast feeding the mob with a pack of lies and I worry that enough want to hear and believe it. Fingers crossed the decent British character that I usually encounter in any dealings or visits to the UK quietly send Johnson and Farage to the trash can were they belong when the election comes.
I'm confident about my take on Question Time: it's a construct, a stitch-up between politicians, spin-doctors and condescending producers. I'm not saying it's their intention to represent us as ignorant, hate-filled peasants but that is 100% how they see us and the program is built from the ground up in a way that's bound to confirm their own prejudices. It's a total betrayal of the BBC's own public service ethos. I really think it's the most politically damaging thing on television.

I've probably posted before about a Twitter thread by one of Brown's spin doctors revelling in the cynicism of it all. He was joined by ex-producers of the show, all having a good laugh about what idiots the audience members are and how they got them riled up. Wisely he's deleted the thread but you can get a flavour from the articles about it:

https://www.irishnews.com/magazine/...om-a-former-labour-adviser-will-help-1315898/

I'm less confident about what side the British are going to lead with on all this, but if we end up with the spittle-flecked imperialist side the media system has to shoulder a large part of the blame, because it's set up to amplify and channel all that and block reasoned argument, decency, respect, compassion.

FQT!

I thought she was very clear regarding the looming election. Boris is a lying cheating arse wipe and they know he will change the date of any election until after the 31st Oct. I think I have found a suitable ditch near me.

Fiona Bruce is fine on ‘Fake or Fortune’, but apparently entirely unable to spot charlatans, con-artists and chancers on QT. I can’t bare to watch it as the ones pictured above are just too irritating to waste an hour with.

It was grim last night. Wealthy right wing property developer ( elected by no one but owns a seat in the European Parliament) invokes the will of the people against ‘the establishment’ while increasingly desperate, finger jabbing Tory Minister tries the same stunt and the Tory fluffer from LBC does his best Fox and Friends impersonation.
If the atmosphere in the studio audience is at all representative of what’s going on outside, Id be very worried.

If the atmosphere in the studio audience is at all representative of what’s going on outside, Id be very worried.

Especially given it was That London, which tends to be a little more intelligent, productive, multicultural and liberal than much of the country IME.

Older white people with nice pensions have been shoved around enough by the political establishment and they’re not gonna take it anymore.
It was very telling when the teenage black girl tried to make her point that absence of equality and austerity had driven the blame of immigrants and the E.U. for the current state of Britain, that a far older woman in the audience shouted her down. No ones going to talk down ‘their’ Brexit. Which is why I think if it can’t be put to a final referendum, they need to get the real thing handed to them to deal with.

It was very telling when the teenage black girl tried to make her point that absence of equality and austerity had driven the blame of immigrants and the E.U. for the current state of Britain, that a far older woman in the audience shouted her down. No ones going to talk down ‘their’ Brexit.

Interestingly, shouty older lady sounded like she may have, herself, had benefited from being allowed to come from the EU to the UK and was now keen to see the the drawbridge pulled up.

It was very telling when the teenage black girl tried to make her point that absence of equality and austerity had driven the blame of immigrants and the E.U. for the current state of Britain...

Presumably no one rasied the thorny matter of the years of austerity imposed by the EU/ECB/IMF on the continent.

Interestingly, shouty older lady sounded like she may have, herself, had benefited from being allowed to come from the EU to the UK and was now keen to see the the drawbridge pulled up.
You frequently get the most reactionary voters (and politicians ) from this demographic. Cuban Americans come to mind and as for politicians in this country- Tory MP Daniel Kawczynski, revelling in the deselection of Soames and Clarke presumably as it enhances his opportunities through displays of loyalty to the boss. First generation Britons like Raab and Priti Patel keen too, to display their hard line credentials on immigration and monetary policy.

You frequently get the most reactionary voters (and politicians ) from this demographic. Cuban Americans come to mind and as for politicians in this country- Tory MP Daniel Kawczynski, revelling in the deselection of Soames and Clarke presumably as it enhances his opportunities through displays of loyalty to the boss. First generation Britons like Raab and Priti Patel keen too, to display their hard line credentials on immigration and monetary policy.
Exceptions, IME, which I guess is why it gets remarked on. The experience of immigration is more likely to immunise people against xenophobia than prime them for it.

Exceptions, IME, which I guess is why it gets remarked on. The experience of immigration is more likely to immunise people against xenophobia than prime them for it.
I should clarify, I’m not suggesting most immigrants gravitate towards confluence with authoritarianism in their destination country but those that do are frequently virulent in their beliefs. There’s a guy who posts on here from the US (or did) who posts his negative observations on other immigrants of a religion/culture not to his liking along side his admiration for Trump and what Trump stands for. It takes on a more explicit, unbuttoned tone at certain times of the day.

advertisement

Back