advertisement

Question Time

Why not keep locations close to chest and invite people from the high street a day or so earlier? Get a genuine consensus of people local to the show each week.
That's an easy one. If you are in the High Street during the day, you clearly have no job, no prospects, and are unlikely to be entitled to a considered opinion, as far as politicians and Dimbleby are concerned.

DTUiuu_EWk_AA8_Yf_J.jpg

https://twitter.com/AntiFromage/status/951727964953174016

It really was cringe-worthy. Nish Kumar is very good though, it was no surprise he was the most articulate and intelligent person on the panel by some magin. I have a lot of time for Gina Miller, but she let herself down by trying to talk over others, though given the panel one has to have some sympathy with that. Piers Morgan is exactly what his reputation suggests and why he was invited is beyond me.

I stopped watching it years ago. Very little real discussion, just sloganeering. I’d be willing to bet there’d be a much more nuanced discussion if the participants were sat around a table in a bar or restaurant rather than being in front of an audience on TV.

I stopped watching it years ago. Very little real discussion, just sloganeering. I’d be willing to bet there’d be a much more nuanced discussion if the participants were sat around a table in a bar or restaurant rather than being in front of an audience on TV.

Of if they settled all the points at issue with a massive fist-fight at the end.

That Dominic Raabid bloke is a right charmer as well, him and Morgans defence of Toby Young was typical, they just regurgitate the crap from the press which then becomes the crap in the press.

Last edited:
For me the presenter David Olusoga brings history alive

Excellent prog so far, which, irrespective of its historical interest, should be compulsory viewing for a few here who persist with their 'Oh so clever' slagging off of Liverpool and Merseyside at every opportunity.

There is however a fascinating series the same evening on BBC2 about the history of a house in Falkner Street in Liverpool and its inhabitants since the house was built in the 1840s:

It is excellent isn’t it?! I lived around the corner in Catherine St for a while and had a lot of friends in the area. It will be interesting when it gets to the ‘80s onwards to see if I know anyone!

I gave up on Question Time a while back as they no longer seem interested in sensible debate but instead see it as just another reality TV show and structure it more for shock value than anything else.

I don’t watch it any more, too depressing.

I was earwigging a conversation in a large Folkestone hotel a couple of days ago. The chap was telling his friend that Germany would be leaving the EU soon because Merkel would always do what’s in Germany’s best interest - presumably after seeing what a great success it’s proving to be for the U.K.

OK I used to play Cluedo too. It was Mr Thick. In the bar about 11pm. And you used his own, pretty empty, scotch bottle.

The political events of the last few years, combined with the provision of the interweb to reveal the full gory details, has revealed to me just how large a percentage of my fellow countrymen are people I regard as scum of the lowest order. Sad. But it's best to know your enemy...

I was well aware that far right scum, racists, homophobes, xenophobes and simple "I'm alright Jack and couldn't give a toss about you" types had never gone away... but horrified at as to just how prevalent they appear to actually be! They even have their own newspapers!:eek:

The programme seems now to have very little diversity.
Every week, the vast majority of time goes on Brexit, Whether another referendum is warranted, likely, or valid etc etc.
Then, another chunk of time is used to discuss the NHS crisis. Everyone says it’s in meltdown, except whichever Tory rep is on the panel who dodges the question & states that funding has increased blah blah blah, seemingly immune to what everyone else says.
Yes, Brexit is a massive concern, but the limp & cyclic arguments never progress & usually spiral downwards to mud-slinging.
It seems that the non-politician on the panel is inevitably the only one capable of giving straight answers.
Do the politicians ever look back on their performance on the show & think they’ve done a good job, I wonder?

.... Has anyone else noticed that the type described above rarely says what they actually believe as even they know it is morally indefensible? We have to "read between the lines" most of the time as you will rarely hear them actually come out and say directly "yes I think the poor, the unemployed, the disabled are a scourge on the wealth of us rich folk and should given no assistance... I also hate Blacks, foreigners, gay people and in fact anyone who is not a white Anglo Saxon of means, and while I'm at it, I think the NHS should be destroyed as I can afford private health care for myself and my family....". Just saying...

.... Has anyone else noticed that the type described above rarely says what they actually believe as even they know it is morally indefensible? We have to "read between the lines" most of the time as you will rarely hear them actually come out and say directly "yes I think the poor, the unemployed, the disabled are a scourge on the wealth of us rich folk and should given no assistance... I also hate Blacks, foreigners, gay people and in fact anyone who is not a white Anglo Saxon of means, and while I'm at it, I think the NHS should be destroyed as I can afford private health care for myself and my family....". Just saying...
Completely Unscrupulous Nasty Tory Sociopaths

advertisement

Back