advertisement

Question Time

Last nights really was depressing. If this is the state of the UK today we really are f***ed. One of the most depressing TV programs I’ve watched in a long time. They should retitle it ‘The Attack of the Daily Express Zombies’.

I don’t watch it any more, too depressing.

I was earwigging a conversation in a large Folkestone hotel a couple of days ago. The chap was telling his friend that Germany would be leaving the EU soon because Merkel would always do what’s in Germany’s best interest - presumably after seeing what a great success it’s proving to be for the U.K.

One of the benefits of working a large proportion of nights is not having to depress myself by watching Question Time.
If I'm off, I sometimes feel an irrational obligation to watch it - however upset or angry it makes me. If working I barely register it exists!

Last nights really was depressing. If this is the state of the UK today we really are f***ed. One of the most depressing TV programs I’ve watched in a long time. They should retitle it ‘The Attack of the Daily Express Zombies’.

The only headline I've ever seen in the Express on the shelves is either for an impending arctic freeze or impending heat wave, do they actually have anything on politics?

The only headline I've ever seen in the Express on the shelves is either for an impending arctic freeze or impending heat wave, do they actually have anything on politics?

Hell yes, it is the voice of the EDL/UKIP. The moneyed tax-exile far-right racist owner chanels hate and bile to a moron demograpgic. It’s like the Daily Mail minus the Hyacinth Bucket snobbery.

I haven't watched QT since Robin Day hung up his bow-tie. I can't see the point: a bunch of people with diametrically opposed views shouting at each other, with random members of the public asking stupid questions. Result: much heat, little light.

Exactly right.

What's the big problem with not subscribing to someone else's views? Isn't that the whole point of QT in terms of a diverse audience and a diverse panel?
You obviously missed the scandal a year or so about QT's audience booker actively soliciting applications from a far-right (probably EDL) Facebook group and herself sharing memes from a far-right group. As I recall, she got a slapped wrist but she wasn't removed from her position.

More generally, you need to ask yourself why the BBC continues to give a platform to xenophobes and the far-right. I believe Farage is the third most frequent guest on QT in recent years. This in spite of UKIP never having won a parliamentary seat under their own banner and rarely polling much above 10% in general elections (currently they are much lower than this).

Only the not connected to reality type:

Screen_Shot_2017_09_28_at_14_23_34.png

More generally, you need to ask yourself why the BBC continues to give a platform to xenophobes and the far-right. I believe Farage is the third most frequent guest on QT in recent years. This in spite of UKIP never having won a parliamentary seat under their own banner and rarely polling much above 10% in general elections (currently they are much lower than this).

Free speech and shining a light on the fcuktards.
It all went horribly wrong for Griffin and bnp after nasty Nick appeared on QT.
imo the public seeing his oleaginous personality, and inability to string a meaningful sentence together, was a significant part of his/bnp's downfall.

Edit: anyone know why residents of Scotland should carry a scifi feature film prop' around with them at all times?

I guess by having a zoo for audience it motivates people not to be complacent about voting.

You obviously missed the scandal a year or so about QT's audience booker actively soliciting applications from a far-right (probably EDL) Facebook group and herself sharing memes from a far-right group. As I recall, she got a slapped wrist but she wasn't removed from her position.

Yep. I posted this a while back in another thread but I'll repeat it here:

As for UKIP bias on the BBC, look at this list of the highest number of appearances from politicians. Nigel Farage has appeared 31 times since 2000, making his the highest average per year, at 1.7 times. All of the others have been appearing since the '80s so cover a much longer period.

I would say that is disproportionately high for a 'politician' from a minority party with a far-right/populist agenda. Concrete evidence that the BBC has been normalising this type of politics.

I thought I'd watch this on iPlayer last night given all the fuss.

I took a couple of benzos and a swift single malt beforehand but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined it would be.

Sure, many in the audience were neanderthal but there was a relative balance it in terms of the time given to opinions.

What I don't understand is why they advertise the location of upcoming shows and invite people to request a place in the audience via the website.

Surely this is inviting the parties to plant stooges every week and plan accordingly?

Why not keep locations close to chest and invite people from the high street a day or so earlier? Get a genuine consensus of people local to the show each week.

Why not keep locations close to chest and invite people from the high street a day or so earlier? Get a genuine consensus of people local to the show each week.

A high priority for the production is to ensure the audience is actually going to turn up.
Your suggestion would be high risk re: empty seats.

advertisement

Back