advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2008 part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not?

img274.jpg

-- Ian

Why not? I have no idea. Some photographic conceit perhaps?

(Was it Monet whose paintings became more impressionistic as he grew older - until he bought a pair of glasses and began to paint realistically?)

It's art, innit. When I tooks lots of out of focus photos whilst figuring out how to use the camera, that wasn't art. But if you are technically competent, have produced lots of moody black and white photos that are recognised as art, then do some out of focus THEN that's art.

In order to produce modern art, you've got to have got into art school* before you can declare that a pile of bricks are art.

(* attending lectures is optional. Adorning local bistro with waif like body, paisley scarf, cold coffee and portfolio 22:6 is all that is required)

Not really a conceit, no. Adds a degree of abstraction, and sometimes it's good to try something which deviates from the strictly literal. Photography is not realism, after all.

-- Ian

Cav, Instead of posting a bunch of one liners, why not state you
don't like where Ian's going in the latest set? Better still, if you
don't like it just move along - plenty of other pics to comment on,
some of which you might even like.

Dan

There's actually something perfectly in focus in each of SSB's shots - they're just hidden in the darkness.

Cav, Instead of posting a bunch of one liners, why not state you
don't like where Ian's going in the latest set? Better still, if you
don't like it just move along - plenty of other pics to comment on,
some of which you might even like.

Dan

I think I have made it quite clear what I don't like about Ian's latest set. My first post was an attempt (which clearly failed in some quarters) at humour. My subsequent posts were attempts to find out the rationale of taking out of focus photos - Ian chose not to answer.

Why are you so exercised about this?

[I note Ian has expanded his previous reply]

Well, it's not exactly a new idea, it's been around since the earliest days of photography. I feel truly gutted that Cav doesn't like it.

Anyway, shall we move on from this exciting interlude and have some more pictures instead?

-- Ian

Black rock sands in north wales last friday. Never seen speed limit signs on a beach before!

Looking towards Criccieth castle:

wales-2008-(92).jpg

and back towards Porthmadog:

wales-2008-(93).jpg

Common grazing land as opposed to field. Beverley Westwood. Has cows, windmills, a racecourse, a golf course, trees, joggers, dog walkers and drunk people with cameras.

going back to reality

2564402065_caf075698b.jpg

Yesterday Rolleiflex
Went for a cycle around part of the North Circular yesterday evening
The guy in the doorway appears to be photographing me with his phone, the guy walking back had just asked me what I was doing.

going back to reality

2564402065_caf075698b.jpg

Yesterday Rolleiflex
Went for a cycle around part of the North Circular yesterday evening
The guy in the doorway appears to be photographing me with his phone, the guy walking back had just asked me what I was doing.

They probably hadn't seen a rolleiflex before - probably assumed it was a rocket launcher. You're luckly some copper didn't shoot you in the head.

Cesare

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back