advertisement

pfm Album of 2018 - Nominations

Someone else recommended Jonathan Wilson. Last album of his I got was circa 2010.
Nils Frahm was this year, right

I've found more "new" music in 2018 than in the last 10 years combined probably. Really been inspired.

But somehow nothing new from this year. Should probably remedy this...

World's Strongest Man by Gaz Coombes is definitely worth a listen.
+1

Also, Steven Adams and The French Drops - Virtue Signals. The Broken Family Band were hugely underrated - let's not make the same mistake with Mr Adams' post-BFB, kids. Buy it and delight in classic, wildly tuneful, guitar-based 'indie pop' (if this category doesn't already exist it should. ;))

Graham Fellows - Weird Town
61F2nnSAZsL._SS500.jpg

First album in 33 years from the man behind Jilted John and John Shuttleworth. If you like quirky, funny, heartfelt, 'psychiatrists chair' self-analysis songs and folk music you'll love it.

Covers everything from Love, loneliness, death, marriage break-up and failed relationships to celebrity lodgers, restricted access to your children, the font on Indian restaurant menus and bread sauce. Love it.

Constantly slips slightly over into John Shuttleworth territory (no sign of Joan Chitty on backing vocals unfortunately) but that just leaves you wondering if the line between Graham and his alter-ego are somewhat blurred anyway.

Idris Ackamoor and the Pyramids, "An Angel Fell" https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B64T9V8/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 and also on streaming services. A passionate, spiritual, varied album that broadly falls under jazz but includes dub and perhaps some afrobeat too. I heard a track on Gilles Peterson at the weekend and must have played it 5 times since.

Gilles's record of the week this week was Nat Birchall, "Cosmic Language" https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07895XFS9/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 also streaming, which is very good too in a Coltrane / Sanders vibe.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Surprised no mention of Myles Kennedy "Year of the Tiger." Glen Hansard's album was very good indeed. And my surprise nomination would be Janelle Monae "Dirty Computer", just because it's so much fun and so different to what I usually listen to.

I really like the Jonathan Wilson - Rare Birds Record. I didn’t care much for his previous one but this is really good.

I just bought Gaz Coombes but not played it yet.

I've been enjoying the latest from John Prine - Tree of Forgiveness. Intimate, great songwriting and a fine recording and pressing (QRP). Never really been into him in the past, but somehow this one hooked me.

My fave from this month is DJ Koze - Knock Knock.
Guest appearances from Roisin Murphy, Kurt Wagner, Jose Gonzalez, Speech, and Sophie Kennedy; and music ranging from melancholy filter disco to wonky hip hop/R&B - all charmingly off kilter. The very antithesis of a formulaic dance album.

advertisement

Back