advertisement

pfm Album of 2018 - Nominations

The National. Boxer Live in Brussels.

Better than the original and the best album I've heard this year by a country mile. I can't stop playing it.

I'm not sure yet whether I like it better than the studio version (which is my favourite album from The National, and one of my favourites full stop).

I was hoping for something amazing like Seldom Seen Kid at Abbey Road - maybe my expectations were too high!

The National. Boxer Live in Brussels.

Better than the original and the best album I've heard this year by a country mile. I can't stop playing it.

I'm not sure yet whether I like it better than the studio version (which is my favourite album from The National, and one of my favourites full stop).

I was hoping for something amazing like Seldom Seen Kid at Abbey Road - maybe my expectations were too high!

It’s a superb live album, and has made me listen to the original again.

In fact, both the original and live versions are superb. Perhaps no point in comparing them, as such?

Having said that, I’ve bought a spare copy of the live album to give to whoever I think needs it in their life, and have promoted the original up my list of all time greats.

Summary: Good shout.

Autechre - NTS sessions.
Not quite as obtuse as Exai and similar - can see me listening to this for a long time and a great hi-fi demonstrator.

Low - Double Negative. Carrying on the journey from Ones and Sixes into ever darker territory. Some albums are a collection of songs, this isn't as far as I'm concerned... it simply needs to be listened to from start to end. Followed by a couple of minutes to catch your breath.

Riverside - Wasteland.
I've played this through half a dozen times and it gets better with each listen.
Prog rock at its best with echoes of King Crimson/Tull & Genesis.

A few more:

Tony Allen & Jeff Mills - Tomorrow Comes The Harvest (an EP really, but I'm choosing to ignore that). Those gorgeous drums, augmented with 909, synths, and a terrific production.
Confidence Man - Confident Music For Confident People. A total pop blast - imagine The B-52s produced by Weatherall circa Screamadelica (ish). Brilliant fun live too.
The Necks - Body. More jazz/minimalism/electronica/whatever from one of the best trios ever; this time with added guitars.
Immersion - Sleepless, another cracking slab of krauty goodness from Colin Newman and Malka Spiegel
Nakhane - You Will Not Die. One of those very rare occasions where I've been really impressed by an unknown (to me) artist on Later, and bought the album straight away. His previous album, Brave Confusion (under the name Nakhane Toure), is excellent too. Though due to record company territory bollox, I had to get a Canadian mate to download it for me, and ping it across the ocean.

Nakhane - You Will Not Die. One of those very rare occasions where I've been really impressed by an unknown (to me) artist on Later, and bought the album straight away. His previous album, Brave Confusion (under the name Nakhane Toure), is excellent too. Though due to record company territory bollox, I had to get a Canadian mate to download it for me, and ping it across the ocean.

Yeah, a bit frustrating. I’m after that on cd.

Idles - Joy as an Act of Resistance - is getting played a lot here, I'm normally a bit of a techno / electronica / dance / hip hop kinda geezar, but this album is lovely and shouty and I think it reflects the feeling of a lot of the country at the moment.

ACR:SET just landed, it's like going to a gig of their's in one handy album.

a-certain-ratio_set-VINYL-cover.jpg

If you haven't seen them live, do so

I'd like to resurrect this thread with a vote for Half Man Half Biscuit's new album No-one Cares About Your Creative Hub So Get Your ****in' Hedge Cut.
hmhb_1520021389_crop_550x550.jpg

I've been listening to it solid now in the car for a week. It's an absolute stormer. Probably their Best in 15 years. I'd put 6 or 7 of the tracks on a Best Of compilation which is saying something. If you aren't a completist but like what they do its a must have for the collection.

Highlight tracks:
Alehouse Futsal
Knobheads on Quiz Shows
The Announcement
Every Time a Bell Rings
Emergency Locksmith
Swerving the Checkatrade

Definitely, I think it’s possibly his best.
You missed ‘The thing that made Columbia famous’ off your list as well

Årabrot - Who Do You Love
Spriritualized - And Nothing Hurt
Soccer Mommy - Clean
Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer
Judas Priest - Firepower
Willie Nelson - Last Man Standing
Rae Morris - Someone Out There
Lord Huron - Vide Noir
Caroline Rose - Loner

The one album I keep coming back to again and again this year is 'American Utopia' by David Byrne - It just gets better and has fantastic SQ. The lyrics still take me on a journey, there are foot-tappers and tunes that tank along - I love it.

David Byrne ‎– American Utopia
Label:
Nonesuch ‎– 565710-1, Todomundo ‎– 565710-1
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album

Released:
09 Mar 2018

Low - Double Negative. Carrying on the journey from Ones and Sixes into ever darker territory. Some albums are a collection of songs, this isn't as far as I'm concerned... it simply needs to be listened to from start to end. Followed by a couple of minutes to catch your breath.

Another vote for Low - Double Negative; it's like they discovered Fennez and the Haxan Cloak and thought let's do that - nicely produced too...

advertisement

Back