advertisement

pfm Album of 2018 - Nominations

Agree with the Black coffee mention! Some of his most exciting work yet!
Also, dont judge me, but the new Cardi B album is here!
Is anyone excited or its just me? :D

Agree with the Black coffee mention! Some of his most exciting work yet!
Also, dont judge me, but the new Cardi B album is here!
Is anyone excited or its just me? :D

Cardi B will get a serious listen soon. I'm hoping it's as good as the Princess Nokia album.

I really like Nils Frahm and his live show in Belfast a few years back was stunning. His latest though seems a big nod to the likes of Tord Gustavsen and even Klaus Schulze in parts....still great but no cigar ;)

Yy5ugw1.jpg

Really liking this.

Cheers BB

For April, I'm going with Rival Consoles - Persona, a gorgeous slab of electronica on Erased Tapes (amazon linky for Tony - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079PDGJRL/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 , though the wav download direct from them is 24/96; should that sway your decision as to where to buy it from)

Though I am just giving the new Portico Quartet, Untitled (AITAOA #2), a first listen, and it's sounding very good so far.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just bought that Glen Hansard record, his last was really good too.

Need another few listens but this new Simone Felice record is sounding great.

Last edited:
Profoundly depressing read in the sense that most of the suggestions are essentially music that makes your Hi-Fi sound good or you’d hear at a show rather than music you’d play anywhere, any time regardless of system. So, let’s diversify a little, in no particular order:

Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour. Nowhere near as radical or left field as some reviews would have you believe (ooh a vocoder, big deal) and it’s also incredibly one paced. It’s also nothing like any of her other albums and is very much a leap into AOR. It should feel overlong given the pacing yet it doesn’t. Subtly clever lyrics and sound design are the key. It shouldn’t hang together as an album either and yet it does. A real grower. Ironically it will make your hi-fi sound awesome.

Eleanor Friedberger - I hated her last album but loved Personal Record. This is neither but great. No high fidelity here. Just music.

Laura Veirs - The Lookout. I never really liked anything she’s until Case Lang Veirs but this is subtle, distinctive and lovely.

Ashley Monroe - Sparrow. I also didn’t like her last album. This is a mix of the last two and much more like it.

Young Fathers - Cocoa Sugar. The sort of album people with decent audio kit love to hate yet it’s original, rough, melodic, angry and one of those albums you come back to again and again to discover new things.

Melissa Laveaux - Radyo Siwėl. A Canadian of Haitian origin and this is nothing short of one of the albums of the year without a doubt. Angry, mesmeric and melodic by turns I’d be genuinely shocked if this didn’t make most end of year top 50s.

Ezra Furman - Transangelic Exodus. Not a great album per se but the opening half is tremendous.

Courtney Marie Andrews - May Your Kindness Remain. Despite an utterly peculiar 5/10 review in Uncut this is terrific. Full on orchestrated country. Would be very surprised if this wasn’t a top 20 in the end of years. Also does an astonishingly good version of Willin’ by Lowell George on her current tour.

Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats - Tearing At The Seams. Really shouldn’t work but it really does. Far exceeded my expectations and has at least four songs on it that will last down the ages albeit mixed in with some straight rip offs and a little pastiche. Currently the best live act out there if you want a group of friends wholly in love with what they’re doing and absolutely at their peak on a stage.

Or, Durand Jones and The Indications. My favorite; 'We need to make a change'. Both very musical, dynamic, and professional. But most importantly hail from my original alma matar Indiana University Bloomington. They have quite the music *school to boot as well.*(plenty of famous musicians came from)

You would really be doing yourself a favor to check these bands out, sorry i didn't directly link to anything.

I'm not usually buying new releases, often a year or decades behind the times but a couple more I am enjoying a lot:
https://bethlehem-casuals.bandcamp.com/album/feels-on-wheels (even heard a track on Radio 6 in the car this afternoon, felt all hep and everything)
I saw Bethlehem Casuals last year playing in Albert Square as part of MIF and was most impressed. All over the place, in a good way. I thought they were a bit like The Blockheads mixing jazz funk rock and English eccentricities.

Another vote for A Humdrum Star by GoGo Penguin, definitely my favourite album of the year so far.

advertisement

Back