advertisement

pfm Album of 2018 - Nominations

Whaleblue

Southbound
Update: I’ll forget the monthly nominations breakdown, and just try to keep track of the year’s selections for a single poll after Christmas.

I’ll keep a list of multi-nominated albums as we go, should be easier.

=========================
Nils Fram - All Melody
=========================

After the partial success of the 2017 thread, per @HarryB ’s suggestion I’ll be starting a monthly nominations thread, for monthly polls to take forward to a final end of year poll for the Official* pfm Album Of The Year 2018.

As it’s probably best to capture nominations as they are fresh in your minds I’ll open each month’s nominations thread at the start of the month (yes, this one is late!), and leave it ‘open’ until early the next, then creating a poll for each month with the top five(ish) nominations.

Yes, I’m slightly confused as to how it will work too. Bear with me, and let’s see how it goes :)

So, nominations so far?

* It’s not official.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
P.S. What would help tremendously would be +1, +2 style posts to keep track of the number of nominations for each album.

OK, I'm happy to kick this off with an album that I can't stop playing.

It's by an artist I was aware of but not too familiar with. Excellent. Added bonus is it's superbly recorded.

Glen Hansard. Between Two Shores.

Well, I'm shocked.

I normally dislike all rap and anything approaching rap. But I really like Weather Or Not by Evidence.

Lovely recording quality as well.

If (like me) you don't like rap, give it a listen. Very listenable. Easy listening rap?

What follows is more of a list than a nomination. The Grammys (aka the Bruno Mars Show) cinched the deal. I started feeling really old as I was putting down so much new music because of what was getting airplay. Mainstream music bores me, and at the same time I did not want to be "Mr. Wilson (that old guy in the neighborhood who yells at the kids for trampling his lawn, wrecking his flower beds and simply making noise), so I challenged myself to start listening and downloading new releases of 2018 for the month of January have found this rather long list, spanning a number of genres to tick my boxes.*

* Tick my boxes = the music has to be intriguing, and given that hifi is my passion and i have a number of fairly decent system in my home, the music has to sound good on them: well produced, recored and mastered. Some genres may not be to everyone's liking. Variety makes horse races they tell me.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Wrong Creatures,
Moon Taxi - Let The Record Play,
Riccardo Muti & Wiener Philharmoniker - 2018 Neujahrs Konzert (New Year's Concert),
John Surman, Nelson Ayres, Rob Waring - Invisible Threads,
Sarah Lancman - A Contretemps
Lilly Martin - Minetta,
Venetian Snares (Aaron Funk) - She Began To Cry Tears of-Blood Which Became Little Brick Houses When They Hit The Ground,
Django Django - Marble Skies,
Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa - Black Coffee
Jamison Ross - All For One
Nils Frahm - All Melody
Mimicking Birds - Layers of Us,
Tinsley Ellis - Winning Hand
Glen Hansard - Between Two Shores
First Aid Kit - Ruins
Bahamas - Earthtones
Typhoon - Offerings
Ty Segall - Freedom’s Goblin
Mamozets - Knowing What You Know Now
тпсб - Sekundenschlaf
John Hollenbeck Large Ensemble - All Can Work
Tune-Yards, I Can Feel You Creep Into My Private Life
Nightmares on Wax - Shape The Future

I appreciate the craft and structure of Nils Frahm but it just isn’t something I’d sit and listen to.

I can decide if I love or hate the new Tune-yards ... Water fountain might be all the Meryl Garbus I need.

So I’m going to go with Khruangbin as Lp of the month, with Belle and Sebastian as a big, sugary guilty pleasure of a runner up

Feb 1st has brought me Rae Morris' Someone Out There - am liking this and am hearing a good deal of potential.

24301321_1594843787230752_5535772933035024125_n.jpg

Nils Frahm - All Melody

+3

To be more accurate, it's the only new album I've bought this month.
It is rather lovely though.

I am really looking forward to seeing him live in a few weeks in Brighton - a few friends have raved about his live shows.

Glad to see we’re up and running.

I’ll simplify things and leave this thread open as a 2018 nominations device. I’ll compile the nominations into a poll at the end of the year.

Released later this year, have only heard the singles from them but if the albums are as good could be crackers.

Bloss

advertisement

Back