advertisement

pfm Album of 2018 - Nominations

Just heard the new GoGo Penguin album - A Humdrum Star. Impressed - in that Electronica/ Jazz/ Modern Classical vein. Worth checking out. Would post the cover but totally defeated in my attempts:(

n109509.jpg.ashx

+1 or however many.

I'd like to resurrect this thread with a vote for Half Man Half Biscuit's new album No-one Cares About Your Creative Hub So Get Your ****in' Hedge Cut.
hmhb_1520021389_crop_550x550.jpg

I've been listening to it solid now in the car for a week. It's an absolute stormer. Probably their Best in 15 years. I'd put 6 or 7 of the tracks on a Best Of compilation which is saying something. If you aren't a completist but like what they do its a must have for the collection.

Highlight tracks:
Alehouse Futsal
Knobheads on Quiz Shows
The Announcement
Every Time a Bell Rings
Emergency Locksmith
Swerving the Checkatrade

+1 for Gaz Coombes ' World's Strongest Man'.
Played this a dozen or so times and it gets better with every listen.

+1 for Gaz Coombes ' World's Strongest Man'.
Played this a dozen or so times and it gets better with every listen.

Been meaning to pick this up, too much music not enough money.

Loving Khruangbin's album this year, great gig here

Two great slabs of art school pop:
Franz Ferdinand - Always Ascending
Django Django - Marble Skies

Neko Case - Hell On. Fantastic at first listen ... and can only get better with more listens.

My fave from this month is DJ Koze - Knock Knock.
Guest appearances from Roisin Murphy, Kurt Wagner, Jose Gonzalez, Speech, and Sophie Kennedy; and music ranging from melancholy filter disco to wonky hip hop/R&B - all charmingly off kilter. The very antithesis of a formulaic dance album.

I have just given DJ Koze 'Knock Knock' a go on the album trailers/youtube - just a bit too smooth for me, it does sound 'dancey' though, though not style. I recommend a go with Clap! Clap! which is in the same town as DJ Koze, but not on the same street... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clap!_Clap!

I have Tayi Bebba and A Thousand Skies on vinyl and they sound very pleasant.

He worked with paul simon on Stranger To Stranger (an excellent album)

I have just given DJ Koze 'Knock Knock' a go on the album trailers/youtube - just a bit too smooth for me, it does sound 'dancey' though, though not style. I recommend a go with Clap! Clap! which is in the same town as DJ Koze, but not on the same street... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clap!_Clap!

I have Tayi Bebba and A Thousand Skies on vinyl and they sound very pleasant.

He worked with paul simon on Stranger To Stranger (an excellent album)

Ta. Just having a listen off his bandcamp page - some nice stuff on there.

Like this topic. Easier to get into new stuff recommendations rather than have to trawl the “what are you listening to right now” one, imho.

advertisement

Back