advertisement

PFM Advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting KEF LS50 active speakers.
And some company called Banggood wants me to buy their rugged looking shoes and wallets. Banggood: some people really need help with their marketing.

These ads are not about ‘quitting smoking’. They are about getting kids addicted to nicotine.

Could you provide the evidence for your assertions that Snus is harmless? I’ve read studies that say the opposite. It certainly rots teeth. I’ve seen that first hand.

Stephen

Not sure why you put quitting smoking in inverted commas. Typically in Sweden, snus is seen as a bit of a man thing, and isn’t aimed at children IME. Not having seen the ads here (most of the ads I see here seem to be for women’s clothing!) I wouldn’t know. But I’d agree it shouldn’t be aimed at children.

There are various ways to illustrate the health effects of snus. Probably the most significant is to look at cancer rates in Sweden, which show vastly lower numbers of deaths from lung cancer, but also no particular elevation in the number of deaths from other cancers. For oral cancer, for example, Sweden rates 147th among countries in the world (which is lower than the U.K.).

There are also lots of quite heavily scientific journal studies and meta-analyses on the subject. But there are issues with lots of the results, be that because of understandable reasons like limited scope, because of assumptions, small samples sizes, insufficient disambiguation from other forms of tobacco, bias and so on. Basically just like any other subject.

It is absolutely a fact that snus use is on a different planet of risk to smoking. Beyond that, if you want to find risks you probably will, but IME they’ll often be close to the lower limits of probability (ie 2% being labelled ‘SIGNIFICANT!’ and so on). This is a fairly comprehensive meta-analysis which concludes there’s little if any provable link between snus and cancer (or other health conditions). In that case it’s produced by a body set up by the industry, but with the intention of being independent, so it lists its personnel (who appear reputable to me), doesn’t allow industry presence at its meetings or feedback on its findings, and is much clearer than some alternatives (eg the Norwegian study that uses words like ‘probably’ and ‘possibly’ all over the place on one hand, or the Peter Lee evidence on the other). To me that makes it a good source if you approach it with eyes open rather than credulously or dismissively.

Having used snus to successfully stop smoking myself, and having known a number of Swedes, I’ve never seen tooth decay resulting from its use. But you may be right.

Having lost family to lung cancer, I wish snus had been more widely available and used in the U.K.

PS, probably because of the above post, I just actually did see a related ad, for a product called Nordic Spirit. That actually isn’t snus, and doesn’t contain any tobacco at all. It’s basically plant fibres and chemical nicotine, and AIUI about as harmful as nicotine gum (ie hardly at all). But I don’t know much about it.

I’m currently getting adverts for Micro Focus COBOL! As a retro computer geek who actually used to teach it in my very dim and distant past I find this both nostalgic and highly amusing. I still have an old version installed in DOSbox on my Mac and a rather battered set of manuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back