advertisement

Pearl Audio Sibelius?

This was the first video I watched and it was interesting to hear how loud 2 watts can go even if there was not enough control.

I think the room interaction at the higher volumes made the level of control difficult to judge IMHO...

So - I just ordered a pair of these speakers. I researched all I could find on them and exchanged a lot of emails with Harley. I'm attracted to the simplicity, attention to detail and workmanship that goes into them. I know it's a bit of a leap of faith, but Harvey has promised to put me right if I don't like them.

There is a whole lot of scepticism in the forums but, without exception, everyone who has actually heard them says they are great.

So - I just ordered a pair of these speakers. I researched all I could find on them and exchanged a lot of emails with Harley. I'm attracted to the simplicity, attention to detail and workmanship that goes into them. I know it's a bit of a leap of faith, but Harvey has promised to put me right if I don't like them.

There is a whole lot of scepticism in the forums but, without exception, everyone who has actually heard them says they are great.

fab .... lets hope you will no more a Verysadman !!! :):) looking forward very much to your thoughts

I suspect you're going to really love them. Harley is a very interesting and capable gentleman, and I'm very interested in what he is doing.

Please, do share your impressions of them when they arrive?

I will let you know how I get on - The downside is I have to wait 12 weeks for manufacture and delivery! But I kinda like the bespoke nature of the service.

I'd never heard of these before reading this thread. I have to say I was intrigued - solid oak cabinet, single driver, active speakers made simple.

Normally at this time of year I would be organising holidays and changing the car but clearly I'm going nowhere soon so investing in something I will actually use in the current circumstances seems sensible.

After exchanguing a lot of e-mails with Harley Lovegrove the designer I decided to try some. I ordered them on the Monday before Christmas hoping to avoid any Brexit problems as they are based in Belgium. Shortly after I found out the Channel crossings were closed so I resigned myself to a new year delivery. On Tuesday I learned they had landed at the DHL depot at the local airport and were duly delivered to me Wednesday morning. A good start.

I unboxed them after Christmas. They are even more impressive in the flesh - beautifully made. The weigh a ton as do the very elegant bases.

What do they sound like? Probably the best I could say is that the sound surpasses the looks. Widest soundstage I''ve ever heard at home. Great imaging. Total lack of boxiness. Very revealing of fine detail. My previous doubts about whether they would be able to fill my 6x5m room now seem risible. They do so effortlessly. They work brilliantly with all types of music. There is a very natural flow and cohesion to music which is very satisfying.

Harley says they are not the best for electronic or music with pronounced drums and bass. Being a contrary sort that's exactly what I tried after a well lubricated dinner. The bass on Billie Eilish ("where do we go ...") was amazing. I swear there must be at least two 8 inch woofers hidden in the cabinet. That would explain the weight! I guess there are many speakers with more extended bass but probably few with the amount of punch. It seems like the amplifier has them in such a tight grip that if they had eyes they would be watering.

There are obviously lots of great sounding convential speakers but it's nice to discover something that is different which works so well. The Markaudio drivers are,well, remarkable. I'm surprised they are not more widely used.

I can understand why Paul Messenger thought they were great value at £5000 and actually bought a pair. At c.£3000 (with stands) bought direct they are a steal when you consider the peerless build quality and the sound reproduction which is on offer. Not so much keepers as family heirlooms.

Talking of reproduction we don't know what the sound was in the studio that we are trying to reproduce but Harley does. His other passion is sound engineering. Apparently he's recorded hundreds of sessions of classical music so he knows exactly what he is trying to recreate.

Now I just need to resist the temptation to acquire the power amp that Colin Wonfor has designed especially for them...

I'd never heard of these before reading this thread. I have to say I was intrigued - solid oak cabinet, single driver, active speakers made simple.

Normally at this time of year I would be organising holidays and changing the car but clearly I'm going nowhere soon so investing in something I will actually use in the current circumstances seems sensible.

After exchanguing a lot of e-mails with Harley Lovegrove the designer I decided to try some. I ordered them on the Monday before Christmas hoping to avoid any Brexit problems as they are based in Belgium. Shortly after I found out the Channel crossings were closed so I resigned myself to a new year delivery. On Tuesday I learned they had landed at the DHL depot at the local airport and were duly delivered to me Wednesday morning. A good start.

I unboxed them after Christmas. They are even more impressive in the flesh - beautifully made. The weigh a ton as do the very elegant bases.

What do they sound like? Probably the best I could say is that the sound surpasses the looks. Widest soundstage I''ve ever heard at home. Great imaging. Total lack of boxiness. Very revealing of fine detail. My previous doubts about whether they would be able to fill my 6x5m room now seem risible. They do so effortlessly. They work brilliantly with all types of music. There is a very natural flow and cohesion to music which is very satisfying.

Harley says they are not the best for electronic or music with pronounced drums and bass. Being a contrary sort that's exactly what I tried after a well lubricated dinner. The bass on Billie Eilish ("where do we go ...") was amazing. I swear there must be at least two 8 inch woofers hidden in the cabinet. That would explain the weight! I guess there are many speakers with more extended bass but probably few with the amount of punch. It seems like the amplifier has them in such a tight grip that if they had eyes they would be watering.

There are obviously lots of great sounding convential speakers but it's nice to discover something that is different which works so well. The Markaudio drivers are,well, remarkable. I'm surprised they are not more widely used.

I can understand why Paul Messenger thought they were great value at £5000 and actually bought a pair. At c.£3000 (with stands) bought direct they are a steal when you consider the peerless build quality and the sound reproduction which is on offer. Not so much keepers as family heirlooms.

Talking of reproduction we don't know what the sound was in the studio that we are trying to reproduce but Harley does. His other passion is sound engineering. Apparently he's recorded hundreds of sessions of classical music so he knows exactly what he is trying to recreate.

Now I just need to resist the temptation to acquire the power amp that Colin Wonfor has designed especially for them...

Like you I exchanged a lot of emails with Harley late last year and found him patient and knowledgeable with all my questions. It is clear that he knows what he is doing.

If the Pearl Audio website checkout was working properly I would probably have bought a pair of his speakers - in the end I went with some Dynaudios but I go back to the Pearl Acoustics website and wonder if I should have gone that direction.

It is great to hear (well read) a first hand account - some photos of them in your room would be good to get a sense of scale etc (oh, and to be nosy).

Slightly off topic but my 6ft + high double mouth horns will never be replaced.75Kg each and bought them with serious doubts. They had been driven by flea power home built amps and sounded, eh a bit rough. When the 8" Fostex actually broke in.. these give me a scale and immediacy I've yet to hear bettered(well maybe by Avante Garde Duos at multiples of the price that wouldn't work in my wee room). Two subs seem to help but not sure they are necessary. Crossovers stink.

Like you I exchanged a lot of emails with Harley late last year and found him patient and knowledgeable with all my questions. It is clear that he knows what he is doing.

If the Pearl Audio website checkout was working properly I would probably have bought a pair of his speakers - in the end I went with some Dynaudios but I go back to the Pearl Acoustics website and wonder if I should have gone that direction.

It is great to hear (well read) a first hand account - some photos of them in your room would be good to get a sense of scale etc (oh, and to be nosy).

Happy to post a photo but I'm not sure how without first loading it into the cloud.

P1040177.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
P1040177.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I've attempted to load an image. Not a very good photo I'm afraid but you can get an idea from the record rack and 55" TV.

P1040177.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

advertisement

Back