advertisement

Pearl Audio Sibelius?

No problem. Oh and they do look superb and bargain at the price - especially with the stands thrown in which I thought was an added cost.

What's the rest of your system?

I find that often, the design of a one-way loudspeaker emphasizes the idea of "I *can* make it work", as opposed to, "...this is the best way...". They have obvious merits but I have not ever heard a pair that I would actually want.

I understand that the Mark Audio drivers are superb. I flirted at times with the idea of getting a set of Frugal Horn XL's for fun, but of course--Life.

Glad to hear you're enjoying them. What loudspeakers did they show the door to?

I find that often, the design of a one-way loudspeaker emphasizes the idea of "I *can* make it work", as opposed to, "...this is the best way...". They have obvious merits but I have not ever heard a pair that I would actually want.

I understand that the Mark Audio drivers are superb. I flirted at times with the idea of getting a set of Frugal Horn XL's for fun, but of course--Life.

Glad to hear you're enjoying them. What loudspeakers did they show the door to?

IPL S4 transmission line kits built by Alchemy Audio. These have an 8" Fountek kevlar bass drivers and ribbon tweeters in a large cabinet. As you can imagine I took some persuading theat the Sibelius wouldn't sound underwhelming in comparison. No such problem. The S4's were excellent in their own way but the Sibelius is a revelation to the extent I am hearing what is really on my 40+ year old records and 30+ year old CD's which is pretty amazing considering that my hearing is al ot worse these days.

nice to see someone bought some as result of this thread . this is from their FB page

I’d never heard of Pearl Acoustics’ Sibelius Loudspeakers until I read a thread about them in PFM (Pink Fish Media). I have to say I was intrigued – solid oak cabinet, single driver, active speakers made simple. Normally at this time of year I would be organizing holidays and changing the car but clearly I’m going nowhere soon so investing in something I will actually use in the current circumstances seems sensible. After exchanging a lot of e-mails with Harley Lovegrove the designer I decided to try some. I ordered them on the Monday before Christmas hoping to avoid any Brexit problems as they are based in Belgium. Shortly after, I found out that the Channel crossings were closed so I resigned myself to a new year delivery. However, on Tuesday I learned they had landed at the DHL depot at the local airport and were duly delivered to me Wednesday morning. A good start!

They are even more impressive in the flesh than in the photographs – beautifully made. They weigh a ton, as do the very elegant bases. What do they sound like? Probably the best I could say is that the sound surpasses the looks. They have the widest soundstage I’ve ever heard at home. Great imaging. Total lack of boxiness. Very revealing of fine detail. My previous doubts about whether they would be able to fill my 6 x 5m room now seem risible. They do so effortlessly. They work brilliantly with all types of music. There is a very natural flow and cohesion to music which is very satisfying. Harley says they are not the best for electronic or music with pronounced drums and bass. Being a contrary sort that’s exactly what I tried first! The bass on Billie Eilish (“where do we go …”) was amazing. I swear there must be at least two 8 inch woofers hidden in the cabinet. That would explain the weight! I guess there are many speakers with more extended bass but probably few with the amount of punch. It seems like the amplifier has them in such a tight grip that if they had eyes they would be watering!

Reactions: JTC
Some on this thread mention buying directly from the manufacturer. Can anyone give me some contact details or a link?
Thanks.

I have heard them and they are very good the image is fantastic, I heard with my design the Sibelius Power Amp.
200654760_2599267067042885_1150096088366916463_n.jpg

Ajay was the perfect host. If you get a chance do take time to hear them at Ajay's.

200512958_2599267150376210_8008491336782453573_n.jpg

Note the Power Amp has no power on switch, it Auto Triggers when music plays and has Balance and Un-Balance inputs.
After about 60mins of silence the amp turns OFF. So saving money on electrickry (as my friend Bruce says.) Oh Bruce 4994.

Hi everyone

Ive recently been getting a bit of an itch and began thinking about a possible change / replacement for my rather large Arts ... which i absolutely love.

Then I got put onto Harleys videos and the Sibelius loudspeakers sound like they mite just fit my bill , others i fancy are possibly some Harbeths .... anyway back to the thread :)

Verysadman , Did you get your speakers and what do you think of them after a few months listening ?

Aspro , Do you have any thoughts now youve been listening to them for 10 months or so ?

Anyone else out there actually got a pair and like to add some views ?

cheers

Ian

I have heard them at Ajay's Hi-fi emporium (at Ealing Common) with my A40 (M40) power amp and they sound amazing, I would love a pair. It is a sahme we could not meet when he was in the UK a few month ago, but old age got me. But he did live me with some lovely coffee thank you Harley and Ajay.

Hi everyone

Ive recently been getting a bit of an itch and began thinking about a possible change / replacement for my rather large Arts ... which i absolutely love.

Then I got put onto Harleys videos and the Sibelius loudspeakers sound like they mite just fit my bill , others i fancy are possibly some Harbeths .... anyway back to the thread :)

Verysadman , Did you get your speakers and what do you think of them after a few months listening ?

Aspro , Do you have any thoughts now youve been listening to them for 10 months or so ?

Anyone else out there actually got a pair and like to add some views ?

cheers

Ian
I remain extremely impressed. I don't think I could go back to veneered MDF speakers with multiple drivers and crossovers. I'll go out in a box before the Sibelius's depart.

In the intevening 10 months I've tried them with an Exposure 3010S2D, Quad Artera Pre/Power, Rega Brio- r from the second system and a dem Sugden A21a Signature which I have ordered (only another 30 weeks to wait!). They all sounded fine in their own way as the speakers are easy loads but revealing about amplifier quality.

I remain extremely impressed. I don't think I could go back to veneered MDF speakers with multiple drivers and crossovers. I'll go out in a box before the Sibelius's depart.

In the intevening 10 months I've tried them with an Exposure 3010S2D, Quad Artera Pre/Power, Rega Brio- r from the second system and a dem Sugden A21a Signature which I have ordered (only another 30 weeks to wait!). They all sounded fine in their own way as the speakers are easy loads but revealing about amplifier quality.

When I was chatting with Harley Lovegrove about a pair of Sibelius's he highly recommended Sugden Amps with them. I had an IA4 at the time and he felt it would be a perfect match. He offered me an amazing deal on a pair of speakers that in retrospect I should have taken him up on. Prices have increased significantly since!

I did hear a pair of them a few years ago (Scalford maybe?), and was very impressed. However they were only playing small ensemble stuff iirc.

Has anyone had any experience of how they would handle something like Gotterdammerung?

advertisement

Back