advertisement

Pearl Audio Sibelius?

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hey all, thought I'd ask about this speaker and find out if anyone here has a set? Not that that I'm looking to change my speakers (heaven forbid, my Ardens are keepers), but I've discovered and enjoyed the YouTube channel that the founder runs, and was just interested if we had any owners here and how they find them. They look smart, being a single driver slim floorstander, and I like Harley (the founder/designer)'s philosophy and have found the channel really quite fascinating. No idea of the actual price of the speakers, but I have a feeling they're probably not cheap :)

Funny, I was watching the same videos yesterday. Insofar as you can judge anything on a Youtube video I quite liked them. They are apparently 3000 Euro but I cannot see a £ price.

I know Harely quite well, he is a lovely fella and quite knowledgeable. The Sibelius's have Mark audio drivers in them which as some of you know I am the distributor for. They are quite special speakers, so lovingly well made by time served joiners. Harley went through a LOT of pain getting the development done just right. I've had a pair here from time to time and they do sound very nice indeed. Obviously a lot of DNA from the drivers I listen to a lot but Harley has spent so much time getting these to sing perfectly they are pretty special. I spent a whole day with Paul Messenger listening to them in his system, listening to theses speakers he came to the conclusion that after years of reviewing a single driver was the best way of doing audio. He bought that review pair from Harley!

yes i am sure i did a thread on these speakers somewhere . after i had the frugalhorns i looked at these . paul messenger was very complimentary in hi fi critic . however they are incredibly hard to resell but they are beautifully made

Don't be a dick. I'm just interested in them, in the same way I'm interested in lots of things I have no desire to own - e.g. big horn speakers, or an ultra high-end deck, or a reel-to-reel.

agreed , mind you i wouldn`t mind a pair of bigger horns ;)

I haven't heard them (yet) but I have been corresponding quite a bit with Harley recently. He is a methodical and dedicated man, and this design is his baby. I just can't imagine them being any less than excellent.

That's mad Ted, I was only binge watching a load of those this morning.

They are good videos that really strike a chord with my not so inner Audiophile OCD-ness and love for minimalist engineering and design. All that 80 strand pure copper silver coated speaker wire, no crossover, single driver with all the tuning in the cabinet and driver rather than on a PCB really peaked my interest. If it sounds as good as it sounds, I think €3K is pretty reasonable.

I thought the video describing the difference between types of amp was good, especially what he said about Class D. It is so fast, like a honed sports car, really able to swing about, tight and dynamic. Not sure I would fancy that all the time though, as he said himself, sometimes I just like the music to wash over me.

He also mentions lots of different brands, particularly ATC so you can understand the context of his design more. I also learnt a lot from his comparison with the BBC monitors, ^^^ that one up there.

You can tell that he is really proud of them.

I would really like to hear a pair.

Good videos anyway even if they are intended as an obvious sales promo.

i notice that most people buy these from sibelius direct , be interesting what thir price is

from a comment on the video

"the Sibelius speakers are great with all genres, but not for very loud drum and bass or hip pop! We do have a couple of dealers but in the last year, everyone has bought directly from us. We offer a return process but no one has ever used it! the videos are not about sales - I just wanted to get the truth out there as there is do much nonsense spoken about HiFi."

advertisement

Back