advertisement

Pearl Audio Sibelius?

So I really want to love the Sibelius, have even picked the finish: wax/oiled weathered oak. The concept of a single driver with no crossover, totally transparent to the source/amp really appeals...

But yesterday I listened to the Klipsch Forte IVs which have a 1 Inch horn loaded tweater, 1.75 inch horn loaded mid, 12 inch woofer with a 15 inch passive radiator in a sealed enclosure with no port boom / room integration issues - lots of tight tuneful bass, huge soundstage etc - what is not to love? They sounded glorious both with the Audio Research I/50 with HiFi Rose 150B and the McIntosh 275s.

The Sibelius are approx. 20cm taller than the Forte IVs but about half the width and about the same depth.

I can't even hear the Sibelius and by the time that they are shipped with import duty etc they will be about 1K GBP more than the Forte IVs...

Thoughts, advice? ......

I have single driver speaker, Jordan Eikona based in diy cabinet. They are interesting to listen, has their advantages, but I would not live with them as my only speaker. Do not know how Sibelius sound, they have bigger driver, but that price for finished product is simply crazy, I do not understand it. No wonder why people not much intersted in single driver speakers, and who are, they doing cabinets themselves, as the drivers are not so expensive. You should try that first before spending 4500 eiro. If you have to choose between Forte and Sibelius, go for Forte, they will be more satisfying in long term and not limited in sound from any music.

I have single driver speaker, Jordan Eikona based in diy cabinet. They are interesting to listen, has their advantages, but I would not live with them as my only speaker. Do not know how Sibelius sound, they have bigger driver, but that price for finished product is simply crazy, I do not understand it. No wonder why people not much intersted in single driver speakers, and who are, they doing cabinets themselves, as the drivers are not so expensive. You should try that first before spending 4500 eiro. If you have to choose between Forte and Sibelius, go for Forte, they will be more satisfying in long term and not limited in sound from any music.

people are interested in single driver speakers . been loads of threads on frugal horn . hand made speakers are not cheap and just look at boenicke which are far more expensive than sibelius

So I really want to love the Sibelius, have even picked the finish: wax/oiled weathered oak. The concept of a single driver with no crossover, totally transparent to the source/amp really appeals...

But yesterday I listened to the Klipsch Forte IVs which have a 1 Inch horn loaded tweater, 1.75 inch horn loaded mid, 12 inch woofer with a 15 inch passive radiator in a sealed enclosure with no port boom / room integration issues - lots of tight tuneful bass, huge soundstage etc - what is not to love? They sounded glorious both with the Audio Research I/50 with HiFi Rose 150B and the McIntosh 275s.

The Sibelius are approx. 20cm taller than the Forte IVs but about half the width and about the same depth.

I can't even hear the Sibelius and by the time that they are shipped with import duty etc they will be about 1K GBP more than the Forte IVs...

Thoughts, advice? ......

if you cant hear the sibelius then dont buy them . if you like the Klipsch get them .

Over the past few years I have seen Klipsch owners complaining of the quality of the fit and finish, not great at all apparently. I can't recall where though, may have been YT videos.

So perhaps check if the situation has improved.

Otherwise, I would be tempted if you like the sound, it will most likely be a bigger and fuller sound that the Sibelius. Being horn loaded though, I guess it could be more important to see how it all works in your room. So a home demo would advisable.

The Klipsch would probably hold their value better too given they are a well known brand.

people are interested in single driver speakers . been loads of threads on frugal horn . hand made speakers are not cheap and just look at boenicke which are far more expensive than sibelius
I do not think Boenicke count as single driver speaker. Yes, there is interest in single driver speakers, I have one, I just do not think you can have many interested at that price, it makes them more a luxury items than speakers. For similar money Klipsh Forte no contest, but that is me.

As hifinutt says, at this kind of money, if buying new, you have to home dem whatever it is you’re thinking of. The alternative is to buy second hand and sell on if for any reason they don’t satisfy.

If you have the room for Klipsch I’d add vintage Tannoys to the list

I do not think Boenicke count as single driver speaker. Yes, there is interest in single driver speakers, I have one, I just do not think you can have many interested at that price, it makes them more a luxury items than speakers. For similar money Klipsh Forte no contest, but that is me.

yes sorry i didnt mean to imply boenicke was single driver which it isnt. just that its a bit more money than the sibelius . both hand made and not in MDF either !!

Making a pair of Sibelius enclosures is mostly handwork. The whole process takes approximately 12 weeks from the French oak entering the joinery, to the finished pairs leaving for a customer.
Selecting the French Oak, right through to gluing, clamping, chiseling and preparing for finishing.

Before we can apply a stain and a topcoat, be it a water-based varnish or natural wax-oil, the enclosure must be perfect. Any oversights here means triple work later on!
Hand sanding, smoothing with a steel blade and routing the edges, are all part of the pre-finishing process.

Every enclosure is unique. They need to be selected for their individual characteristics and their suitability for the colour and type of finish our customer is looking for.
Applying a dark stain is a skilled job. It takes a steady hand, time and patience.

https://pearlacoustics.com/aboutus/

I had a small time listening to these lovely speaker over in Ealing with Ajay with my A40 power amp.
I can say from the sound and imaging point of view they sounded wonderfully musical and I could very happily live with them.
The Bass was superb and not muted and rolled of to early, the image was wide and the depth was amazing, Ajay was a perfect host picked me up from the station and made lovely coffee thank you Ajay.
So to sum up quickly I would love a pair (my birthday soon hint hint;)) but I also love the Royd's Alan Brown bought for me a few years ago.
So if you get a change do go and listen to them.
Oh just a note Harley has a A40 amp made special for him which I think he likes.

Do not know how Sibelius sound, they have bigger driver, but that price for finished product is simply crazy, I do not understand it.
You have to consider that the cabinet is made of solid wood hand built in European high payment country by hand, from a small company that don't sell thousands of speakers so the cost for the design process, rent, current, etc. has to be divide out on a smaller quantity. Also such things as the drying process of the solid wood is more expansive than some MDF or birch plywood.

Reactions: JTC
I tend to agree. Compared to many floor-standers in that general size and/or built to that level of quality, they don't seem over-priced. Full disclosure: if my experiment with Genelec actives doesn't play out, I might investigate the Sibelius some more. But unlikely: I'm attracted to the idea of high quality active stand-mounts and a quality sub more than I am large floor-standers, but then I'm weird that way....

Wonder what the sibelius costs these days ?? Certainly after absolutely loving the frugalhorn i would like to hear a pair

advertisement

Back