advertisement

Ortofon's MC Anna and 12" arms

Great, but how does the Raven deal with ambient vibration? You appear to be ducking this question. Sorry to press you.

This is the reason I chose a turntable with a proper suspension.

Not ducking the question just not got to answering it yet - so here goes:

From what I hear in my setup it is rather good. Obviously a good stand is in order etc. I have my deck quite close to the speakers in fact and hear nothing to suggest any feedback or low freq instability. The plinth itself is made of damping material based on Delrin. This is then covered with a large mass of stainless steel in the form of a disk. This plinth is around 35kg - I know - it took two of us to lift it onto my stand. The platter is also of this material and filled with a gel material and finally a copper disc on top. This is all designed to reduce resonance both from within and from ambient vibration. It sits on plastic feet with steel balls too. From my experience with the Orbe, the SME 20 and now the Raven I like steel ball feet - they give a bit of focus. I tried the 20 on the rubber O-rings and lost focus - this is a problem with the Linn too when the rubber feet get sticky - so I was glad to see the AC has them too.

Interesting, the vibration is stored in a large mass. I'm sure the Raven is good, it gets good reviews, and I believe reviews, on the whole.

I tried the bare steel ball feet with my 20, and prefer the O-ring option, but my deck sits on glass.

Great, but how does the Raven deal with ambient vibration? You appear to be ducking this question. Sorry to press you.

This is the (main) reason I chose a turntable with a proper suspension.
What is 'ambient vibration'? Suspension cannot isolate the turntable from the air, so all that's left is mechanical vibration. And where does that come from?

The Raven doesn't answer the mechanical questions very well, and by using a belt opens itself up to all sorts of wobbles. It would be interesting to examine it.

FWIW my theory, that is the theory that is mine, a theory of great import that I came up with myself, nothing at all to do with apatosaurs, and totally my theory, is that much of what people like about particular turntables comes from their particular acoustic feedback colouration. So as Jek has moved he will probably need a new one.

Paul

Interesting, the vibration is stored in a large mass. I'm sure the Raven is good, it gets good reviews, and I believe reviews, on the whole.

I tried the bare steel ball feet with my 20, and prefer the O-ring option, but my deck sits on glass.

My 20 sat on glass and definitely had better focus with the ball feet.;)

The Raven doesn't answer the mechanical questions very well, and by using a belt opens itself up to all sorts of wobbles. It would be interesting to examine it.

Paul

Actually it is the only belt driven deck I have owned that does not wobble/move in some way on start-up proving the belt has no influence as there is no suspension to influence. It also has amazingly fast start-up time to stable speed - like a direct drive or idler drive in that respect. The motor pod is very heavy as is the turntable plinth and they ain't goin' nowhere!

You are welcome to examine and hear it. :)

What is 'ambient vibration'? Suspension cannot isolate the turntable from the air, so all that's left is mechanical vibration. And where does that come from?

It's vibration originating in the ambience. I blame miners, er, and road drills, buses on the other side of the car park, all that stuff.

It's vibration originating in the ambience. I blame miners, er, and road drills, buses on the other side of the car park, all that stuff.
Damn those road drills, damn them.

The great thing about turntables is that there isn't a correct answer, and almost any arrangement can be made to work.

Paul

MC Anna, MC Anna, MC Anna, I repeat……;-)

Why not start an SME vs Brinkmann vs TW thread and argue there. Maybe you would attract more to contribute to this craziness.

Long live SME

MC Anna is supposed to be very good but I think they had a wobbly start with that design. Hopefully production settled down. Yeah PW is great. If you are at that end of the scale check out Dynavector's top cartridge XV-1t and the ZYX 4D - they are two of my faves. And no I don't sell the Dynavector before anyone pipes up :rolleyes:

I haven't had the 'Anna' here, but I thought the A90 was fine, and the two XV1's are my personal favourite cartridges.
Keith.

MC Anna, MC Anna, MC Anna, I repeat……;-)

Why not start an SME vs Brinkmann vs TW thread and argue there. Maybe you would attract more to contribute to this craziness.

Long live SME

You should start an SME vs Brinkmann vs TW thread. Given how forums work, you have a greater chance of the MC Anna being discussed there.

I can understand 'Royaloak's frustration, but threads do take on a life of their own. In this case, the issue is compounded by the fact that not a single contributor actually seems to own an Anna. Royaloak has been given pretty expert information about the compatibility of the Anna and V12. Which is what he requested. What else can be realistically expected ?
It's a very, very rare cartridge. Come to that, only a couple of people on this thread actually own a V12. If people talked only from actual experience this would be a very short thread....and it also explains why so much dubious comment has been made. Opinions are great when you aren't having to speak from genuine knowledge and experience.
But that's life on any forum. As for the endless stuff about 'best deck'....history will judge. Assuming history cares.

You always learn something interesting when these two characters get together.

Bit long in the tooth now but still entertaining for five minutes or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back