advertisement

Ortofon's MC Anna and 12" arms

EMT 950 used the 929 arm which wasn't a 12", again more like a 10".

Probably right re service/maintenance costs. In fact I'd got the impression the only TT's the BBC kept now were 1210's.

Bloody disco deck anyway.

No kidding!

IMG_7484_800.jpg

I'm wondering about a Graham Phantom. Is this a good arm? Would it work OK on an SME 30?
Grahams look unnecessarily complex and inconsistent to me. Probably work OK, Michael Fremer likes them

But if you're going unipivot then surely a Gray? Preferably on a Gates tt.

54201383EddieClarkDOWNSIZED.jpg

A gear stick to shift speeds. Perfect. Used by the BBC too.

Paul

Those EMT 927's sounded pretty lively despite carrying 12" Ortofon arms. One with an Allaerts, the other an SPU-A. Proper disco that was.

You should buy yourself a decent British cartridge too, less of this Danish nonsense (he said with some irony)

The Phantom is a good arm but is bettered by a few others (including the TW 10.5 but surely you won't put a TW arm on an SME 30). Bob Graham has a new version out which is reassuringly expensive. Personally, I'd look into an Origin Live Enterprise.

However, anything but an SME arm looks wrong on an SME deck IMO.

Presumeably you dismiss the yorke decks based on arm chair philosophy and advice given by your invisible rabbit. The s7 is easily superior to the 30 as is the s8. I would expect the s10 with aeroarm to be a contender for the very top

I have to admit, I've never understood the fawning over the Simon Yorke decks. I don't see any innovation or even think they look nice. :confused:

advertisement

Back