advertisement

Oral Health affects General Health

approximately how long each day do you spend brushing your teeth?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Every bloody resemblance, actually, why do you think that they have named the species "Lactobacillus bulgaricus"?

But you don't want to believe what I'm telling you, so carry on.
I have not tasted nearly as many commercial u.k. yoghurts as you have. Nevertheless, I have tried many. I have found only two that taste much like genuine Bulgarian- though many use the same two strains of bacteria- in name.

The two I have tasted that do resemble Bulgarian are:
1) Gilbert Harris Khormaksar goat herd (sadly long defunct):
2) Plaw Hatch Biodynamic Community Farm.
Here I declare an interest. I am a member of this community farm and hold shares in it.

Last edited:
I hold the following mouthwashes in my Art Gallery [lavatory]:

1. Dentalux Total Care (Lidl)
2. Waken peppermint
3. OraCare+ (Sainsbury's own brand)
4.Dentalux Gum Protect (Lidl)
5. Dentalux Coolmint (Lidl)
6. ASTONISH oven & cooker cleaning paste.

Findings in due course.
My findings follow. These are only my own subjective opinions. They are not based on evidence. They are not science. They are only meant as a rough guide to save anyone interested from wasting too much time trying some of these.

1. Dentalux Total Care. This is strong stuff. I used to use it as my main mouthwash. I am now relegating it to pouring over the toothbrush after each use, to cut down on the bacteria before using again.
2. Waken peppermint. I am pleased with it. It is alcohol free. Contains flouride. Leaves my mouth feeling clean and good. It contains instructions to use for ONLY 30 seconds. N.B. I find that one capful of it is far too much. I know you think I have a big mouth. My mouth is small, because I can use only 1/3 a capful, or if I am feeling extravagant- 1/2 cap and get the same results. I save 50-66% of the cost by so doing. Substantial discount? Yes. The marketing dept. will not much like me. I am not here on this earth to be liked.
3.OraCare+. A favourite. Nice colour, nice taste, advertised as good for sensative mouths. VERY inexpensive. Alcohol-free. Contains flouride and a
direction to use for only 30 seconds. I think highly of it when I do think (occassionaly)?
4&5. Dentalux mouthwashes. These are pleasant to use. I will phase them out when I run out, in favour of 2 and 3.
6. Use your imagination.
I hope that above saves some some time and aggro.

VSOP is just so... meh!
Whatev er eternum means, my own tastebuds, and nose, inform me that Martell VSOP (the old version that has been phased out by their marketing boffin) is the best vsop cognac I have tried. Wonderful flavour and aroma, once hand warmed. I have tried a few since I started using only vsop and higher. I think the older (medallion) vsop is better in several ways than the Red Barrel vsop that Martell now sells. Luckily, I bagged the last bottle of the older version. This avoided the substantial price hike to Red Barrel.
I hope this info is assistance to those who still use mouthwash.

Last edited:
I appreciate the charm, desirability - even (occasional) neccesity for excursions beyond the subject of a thread. This has gotten a bit out of hand.
I would urge 'back to business" for a while.

We have not yet considered toothpaste/no paste.

Has anyone mentioned those Te-Pe thingies, like tiny bottle brushes with a little plastic handle, I find them brilliant for getting in between teeth and pushing out food which tends to get stuck between mine due to awkward gaps. I also smear a bit of toothpaste on and try to get a decent clean in the gaps. Much better than floss in my view.
(I do brush as well of course)
I think you refer to interdental brushes. I always use them after each meal or snack. They are quite useful for alcoholics trying to use mouthwash and toothpaste simultaneously with Johnny Walker.

Hands on experience. Just a little bit, having been in the technical dept of a number of yogurt and cheese dairies for about 15 years until I went off to do other things. I spent a good deal of time selecting culture organisms for various products from the starter manufacturing companies. Yes, there is such a thing. Look up Gist-Brocades, for some further information. One point - don't confuse strains and species. Oh, and I am very, very sure that it is not the same as when you started, even if you think that it is.

Edit - re ""have you experience of this?" Didn't the amount of detail in my initial reply give you a bit of a clue that I know this subject rather more than most?
Gist-Brocades has been acquired by DSM.
I cannot find any ref to them producing Starter Cultures nowadays.

I appreciate the charm, desirability - even (occasional) neccesity for excursions beyond the subject of a thread. This has gotten a bit out of hand.
I would urge 'back to business" for a while.

We have not yet considered toothpaste/no paste.
OK - I’ll bite (pun intended). The world is full of populations that chew on specific twigs, maybe using charcoal as a gentle paste and who have good teeth. The big caveat is that they also generally do not have a western sugary diet.

Teeth are not impermeable monoliths - there is a constant loss and replacement of molecular amounts of calcium phosphate at the surface, especially in the presence of plaque and sugar. Basic Toothpastes are actually cleverly formulated to give gentle abrasion with a high dose of calcium phosphate to help push the losses back into the tooth. Fluoride helps strengthen the new enamel, but the effect is not huge once the tooth has formed (which is why fluoride in tap water is a better bet).

So, I would use a toothpaste, wouldn’t waste money on fancy additives except for sensitive teeth and would brush/floss/use interdental brushes gently twice a day, one before breakfast. If I get bleeding, I would keep brushing and maybe use a mouthwash of a teaspoon of salt in very warm water twice a day. Haven’t used a commercial mouthwash since I saw what one did to the microbiology of my plaque during my PhD.**

Caveat - if you are not or are unable to clean your teeth effectively or are immunosuppressed or on long term antibiotics or other medical advice a mouthwash is, of course, a good idea.

OK - I’ll bite (pun intended). The world is full of populations that chew on specific twigs, maybe using charcoal as a gentle paste and who have good teeth. The big caveat is that they also generally do not have a western sugary diet.

Teeth are not impermeable monoliths - there is a constant loss and replacement of molecular amounts of calcium phosphate at the surface, especially in the presence of plaque and sugar. Basic Toothpastes are actually cleverly formulated to give gentle abrasion with a high dose of calcium phosphate to help push the losses back into the tooth. Fluoride helps strengthen the new enamel, but the effect is not huge once the tooth has formed (which is why fluoride in tap water is a better bet).

So, I would use a toothpaste, wouldn’t waste money on fancy additives except for sensitive teeth and would brush/floss/use interdental brushes gently twice a day, one before breakfast. If I get bleeding, I would keep brushing and maybe use a mouthwash of a teaspoon of salt in very warm water twice a day. Haven’t used a commercial mouthwash ò I saw what one did to the microbiology of my plaque during my PhD.**

Caveat - if you are not or are unable to clean your teeth effectively or are immunosuppressed or on long term antibiotics or other medical advice a mouthwash is, of course, a good idea.
I may have something to say about what your term"twigs", in due course. When I was in Ghana I brushed my teeth with these- and nothing else. I also drank palm wine (sweet, with natural sugars- and also Peto...less sweet beer brewed from millet). I lived exclusively on the native diet. I hasten to assure you that the food wasn't certified organic by Demeter (fufu & kenke etc.)

Last edited:

advertisement

Back