advertisement

Oral Health affects General Health

approximately how long each day do you spend brushing your teeth?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would not advocate the use of Corsodyl containing chlorhexidine on a daily basis, but it has its uses.

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drugs/chlorhexidine/

Funnily enough, today I have been looking into making up some mouthwash for occasional use with hydrogen peroxide (<6%) diluted solution. Caution is required when using hydrogen peroxide.

This is the mouthwash I use - it is effective and not extortionately priced.

Co-oP Dental Care 6 in 1 advanced mouthwash

https://www.cooppharmacy.coop/produ...-dental-care-6-in-1-advanced-mouthwash-500ml/
That's decent gear. Standard CPC based disinfectant mouthwash. Similar stuff from others is available, they all work.

As always, there is no one answer for everyone, but I would not either use mouthwash daily or recommend that anyone else does. The Prof. is no doubt eminent, but, having done the experiments, I have to disagree for general advice to a population.
I have spent roughly half an hour searching the net attempting to find the tests and report on mouthwash carried out by the Queen Mary Professor I cited. This was to enable those interested to scrutinise the findings. I can find no mention of these tests ,or the Professor, on the net. I assume that he has withdrawn his findings. I could be wrong. Until further information surfaces, I can only apologise.
In the meantime I intend to cut down on my use of mouthwash. I will still use it, but not every day, and probably not twice a day. This is only a personal choice, not a recommendation nor an endorsement of a point of view.

Paraphrasing Thomas Hardy; 'The Skill of the Floss' (Sorry, that's a bit obscure, Jude). Candy floss was the only type I could cope with. I've got some floss tape, which is different to the string-like stuff I had years ago; it is slightly easier I s'pose but not much.
A man of your evident intelligence should find flossing a doddle. I urge you to find some instruction on 'how to do it'... try the net, or your dentist?

That's decent gear. Standard CPC based disinfectant mouthwash. Similar stuff from others is available, they all work.
The issue is not whether or not they work. The issue is the period of duration for safe use.

Corsodyl has been produced to deal with specific dental problems. I have used it for minor gum irritation. I may have been lucky, or have healthy gums. However, I have found that, when using Corsodyl, my problems have cleared up within a few days- sometimes within a day. I have never had to use it for anything like the maximum extended period.
I cannot agree that Corsodyl is a standard mouthwash. No dentist I am aware of recommends it as a daily mouthwash. My own dentist, (excellent) prescribes it, exclusively, when the problems for which it is manufactured arise.

Paraphrasing Thomas Hardy; 'The Skill of the Floss' (Sorry, that's a bit obscure, Jude). Candy floss was the only type I could cope with. I've got some floss tape, which is different to the string-like stuff I had years ago; it is slightly easier I s'pose but not much.
You've got your authors mixed up.
Floss...Eliot.

The issue is not whether or not they work. The issue is the period of duration for safe use.

Corsodyl has been produced to deal with specific dental problems. I have used it for minor gum irritation. I may have been lucky, or have healthy gums. However, I have found that, when using Corsodyl, my problems have cleared up within a few days- sometimes within a day. I have never had to use it for anything like the maximum extended period.
I cannot agree that Corsodyl is a standard mouthwash. No dentist I am aware of recommends it as a daily mouthwash. My own dentist, (excellent) prescribes it, exclusively, when the problems for which it is manufactured arise.
This may be true. However I'm not talking about chlorhexidine mouthwash, I'm replying to Bigtabs and his use of Boots mouthwash. That is a standard QAC based disinfectant that can be used daily.

This may be true. However I'm not talking about chlorhexidine mouthwash, I'm replying to Bigtabs and his use of Boots mouthwash. That is a standard QAC based disinfectant that can be used daily.
As I read it, he uses Co-op mouthwash.

Correct, which is based on cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC) which is not the same thing as chlorhexidine (used in Corsodyl). You're talking about Corsodyl.
I am no longer talking about Corsodyl here. I am responding to your comments. You stated that you are replying to ..."his use of Boots mouthwash ".

I have spent roughly half an hour searching the net attempting to find the tests and report on mouthwash carried out by the Queen Mary Professor I cited. This was to enable those interested to scrutinise the findings. I can find no mention of these tests ,or the Professor, on the net. I assume that he has withdrawn his findings. I could be wrong. Until further information surfaces, I can only apologise.
In the meantime I intend to cut down on my use of mouthwash. I will still use it, but not every day, and probably not twice a day. This is only a personal choice, not a recommendation nor an endorsement of a point of view.

To be fair, you won’t find my mouthwash tests published either (though the microbiology and metabolic stuff could be found buried deep in the archives!). This was work paid for by a manufacturer that wanted to add ‘prevents tooth decay’ to the label. They never did…

Never used a flouride tooth paste and never will, certainly won't be using alcohol mouthwashes.

Flouride free paste, floss, and a home made activated charcoal and seasalt mouth wash and occasional oil pulling.

No dental work ever needed other than an occasional scale/clean in all my years (other than to repair a broken tooth with a ceramic crown which was the cause of a tongue piercing bar).

Never used a flouride tooth paste and never will, certainly won't be using alcohol mouthwashes.

Flouride free paste, floss, and a home made activated charcoal and seasalt mouth wash and occasional oil pulling.

No dental work ever needed other than an occasional scale/clean in all my years (other than to repair a broken tooth with a ceramic crown which was the cause of a tongue piercing bar).
I wish I had your strength of character.
I sometimes use no flouride and sometimes no alcohol.

I wish I had your strength of character.
I sometimes use no flouride and sometimes no alcohol.

I think diet plays a big part in it as well as environmental toxins so alternating is probably a useful thing for many. Reduce chemical exposure but still gaining some benefit from them without a body burden.

I think diet plays a big part in it as well as environmental toxins so alternating is probably a useful thing for many. Reduce chemical exposure but still gaining some benefit from them without a body burden.
I believe that diet plays an ENORMOUS part in preventing or causing disease.

My preference is or would be for: 1.organic biodynamic: 2.organic; 3. No white or denatured flour products, no artificial , little or no processing, no potentially harmful additives, no junk food...ever!

A counsel of perfection to myself that, alas, I frequently do not observe.

Last edited:
I believe that diet plays an ENORMOUS part in preventing or causing disease.

My preference is or would be for: 1.organic biodynamic: 2.organic; 3. No white or denatured flour products, no artificial , little or no processing, no potentially harmful additives, no junk food...ever!

That's all pretty much part of my rule book to and no processed sugars

I hold the following mouthwashes in my Art Gallery [lavatory]:

1. Dentalux Total Care (Lidl)
2. Waken peppermint
3. OraCare+ (Sainsbury's own brand)
4.Dentalux Gum Protect (Lidl)
5. Dentalux Coolmint (Lidl)
6. ASTONISH oven & cooker cleaning paste.

Findings in due course.

I hold the following mouthwashes in my Art Gallery [lavatory]:

1. Dentalux Total Care (Lidl)
2. Waken peppermint
3. OraCare+ (Sainsbury's own brand)
4.Dentalux Gum Protect (Lidl)
5. Dentalux Coolmint (Lidl)
6. ASTONISH oven & cooker cleaning paste.

Findings in due course.

I thought you gargled with cognac.

advertisement

Back