advertisement

Oral Health affects General Health

approximately how long each day do you spend brushing your teeth?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
PS

'Bof!' is French, an interjection that is customarily accompanied by a theatrically lazy shrug of the shoulders and raised, upturned palms. Roughly speaking, it means 'Meh!'

Subcultured kefir will not remain the same across multiple generations. This is because it is a heterolactic culture, with both yeasts (Kluyveromyces spp and Saccharomyces spp, amongst others) and bacteria (Lactobacillus spp, amongst others). Note that the "spp" denomination is biologists' shorthand for "species not specified, possibly several"). The same applies to yogurt, which is not heterolactic (no yeasts) but still has 2 species, L. bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus. Optimal growth conditions are different for Lb and St, with St preferring, as you may guess, hot conditions. Typical incubation temp is 44 deg C because this allows both Lb and St to multiply. When you sub this on and especially if you put it in the fridge, the population shifts and one species takes over. It's a bit like planting cacti and moss in the same garden, leaving them to their own devices and expecting nothing to change. Obviously this is a vain hope. If you live in Spain then the moss will all die in the summer, leaving only the cacti, and if you live in England the cacti will all be knocked out by the cold and damp of the winter.

So by all means carry on with your culture, but after a cycle or two don't expect it to have any resemblance to the original any more than I look like my ancestors who came strolling up from the Rift Valley 200,000 years ago.

Your terminology (used by biologists- "spp", "species") is not what is current in the Bulgarian state - operated research/commercial organisation.
Yoghurt culture in Bulgaria has a history going back some 4000 years.
"Bacteria " is the term they use when referring to active live cultures.

Your terminology (used by biologists- "spp", "species") is not what is current in the Bulgarian state - operated research/commercial organisation.
I'm sure that it most definitely is, it's just that they choose not to share it with their consumers. BMW don't talk engineering to their customers, etc.
Yoghurt culture in Bulgaria has a history going back some 4000 years.
It does indeed. Before then too. Cultured dairy products go back to the dawn of time, in ancient Greece, Egypt, everywhere.
"Bacteria " is the term they use when referring to active live cultures.
Sure, because that makes it easier for the consumer s without scientific training to understand. Yogurt cultures are indeed bacteria. However that's only part of the story. Cows, pigs and sheep are all found on farms. So let's make it easier and just refer to them all as "animals" . It's correct. However if you want to go beyond the absolute basics you'd better start distinguishing between the different types.
Gist-Brocades has been acquired by DSM.
I cannot find any ref to them producing Starter Cultures nowadays.
Try Chr. Hansen in Denmark, or Nizo, in I think Holland. Both manufacture dairy cultures for yogurt, cheese, soured cream, all sorts. The bacteria come in different species, the species come in different varieties, the varieties are selected for various characteristics, say flavour, and so on.

I'm sure that it most definitely is, it's just that they choose not to share it with their consumers. BMW don't talk engineering to their customers, etc.

It does indeed. Before then too. Cultured dairy products go back to the dawn of time, in ancient Greece, Egypt, everywhere.

Sure, because that makes it easier for the consumer s without scientific training to understand. Yogurt cultures are indeed bacteria. However that's only part of the story. Cows, pigs and sheep are all found on farms. So let's make it easier and just refer to them all as "animals" . It's correct. However if you want to go beyond the absolute basics you'd better start distinguishing between the different types.

Try Chr. Hansen in Denmark, or Nizo, in I think Holland. Both manufacture dairy cultures for yogurt, cheese, soured cream, all sorts. The bacteria come in different species, the species come in different varieties, the varieties are selected for various characteristics, say flavour, and so on.

No more wild goose chases for me.
Hansen labs (uk) produced yoghurt cultures for years. I have used them. They result in good yoghurt. It is not Bulgarian yoghurt. I can find no evidence that your previous supplier, Gist-Brocades, is still producing starters.

No more wild goose chases for me.
Hansen labs (uk) produced yoghurt cultures for years. I have used them. They result in good yoghurt. It is not Bulgarian yoghurt. I can find no evidence that your previous supplier, Gist-Brocades, is still producing starters.
You may be interested in Gaio yogurt, this was developed by MD foods, who may have been Arla by then, 20-25 years ago. It was a yogurt with health claims and the brand fell on its arse because nobody much liked the concept. It also got savaged by Advertising Standards. The brand still exists, now owned by Arla, as the health wing of Arla Foods. They use a particular Lactobacillus strain with health claims.

and maybe use a mouthwash of a teaspoon of salt in very warm water twice a day.

As I use a strong saline solution 2x or more each day as a final brush and rinse, I wonder if salt can have adverse properties affecting oral health. My wife and I only started this shortly after the pandemic started and it certainly eased sensitivity and general aches/sores.

You are obviously more than au fait with dental matters but I've not read (or have missed) your background/status/ whatever. There's a lot of quality information and advice on pfm but this thread is somewhat out of the mainstream, as it were.

On the subject of yogurt, we use full fat plain Greek style a lot; the difference between (real?) Greek yogurt as bought in SMs is negligible in taste, I find, yet considerably dearer.

My relevant background here is a PhD in oral biology during which I studied the microbiology and metabolic activity of dental plaque using the very best techniques available in the early 1980s(!) and vaguely keeping informed since, especially conversations with my dentists.

Not sure about salt rinses and tooth decay - my gut feel is that it would have some effect, but that compared to proper brushing it would be small.

For infected/bleeding gums I find it to be very effective - it was recommended to me by my PhD supervisor who was a dentist with a biochemistry PhD and a brilliant scientist. I find it cheaper, more easily available when you need it and less aggressive than commercial mouthwashes.

In general, my approach is to avoid blitzing the mouth with anything antiseptic every day as the normal flora (absent a high sugar diet) with good brushing helps to keep problem-causing bacteria under control (in numbers).

What do you all think about those high pressure water-pik devices for cleaning between teeth?

What do you all think about those high pressure water-pik devices for cleaning between teeth?
Not a lot, in my experience. It's the difference between using a pressure washer on your car vs micro-fibre mitts. The water pressure might blast away the top layer of detritus, but there is always a layer of grime that requires contact cleaning. I much prefer floss for this reason.

Not a lot, in my experience. It's the difference between using a pressure washer on your car vs micro-fibre mitts. The water pressure might blast away the top layer of detritus, but there is always a layer of grime that requires contact cleaning. I much prefer floss for this reason.
Your posts are usually characterised by a large dose of common sense. I like them!

Toothpaste
I currently have the following in my Art Gallery:

1.Dentalux Complex 7
2. Euthymol Original
3. Aquafresh
4. Oral-B Pro Expert
5. Sarakan
6.Astonish oven & cooker cleaner

Findings in due course.

This - used one for a few weeks then put it in the cupboard…

Better than not using floss or interdental brushes, but not much (personal opinion).

I've just seen this thread, amusingly as I'm just recovering from having 3 more implants (front 3 teeth) placed with pig-bone mush to help hold them in place. That was yesterday, today I'm feeling sore and tired, and more soup doesn't appeal.
I had 8 or 9 done 3 years ago. My other teeth are all but one caps or crowns.
I was one of those who in the mid to late '60's had a dentist who seemed to work on the basis that the more fillings they put in the sooner they could retire. We had 2 sweets and a chocolate biscuit on a Sunday and a healthy diet as kids, and no fillings until we started to go to him.
Many too many amphetamines as a teenager and a comedic/tragic fall coming out of a pub having not had a single drink saw me land on my jaw, smashing almost all my teeth (17 I seem to remember)and several of my roots then led to serious treatment rebuilding them as best possible.
Many infections, abscess's and a lot of hours in a dentists chair, and the lingering fear of caps and crowns falling out at the least opportune moments have followed. Crunchy peanut butter featured in many nightmares, and many meals were spoilt for me and others by me spitting out lumps.
Thankfully I have a wonderful client/friend who has paid for all my implants and I seem now to have found a very good dentist/orthodontist who recommends Blue M toothpaste and mouthwash. I also use Duraphat 500 toothpaste which seems to be prescription only due to its heavy fluoride content.
I use a jet-wash instead of floss mainly out of habit as I seem to manage to forget to floss but find it easy to jet wash.. I will be going to his hygienist fairly soon once I have the stitches out in a week.
Now to read the next 5 pages of this thread.....

I've just seen this thread, amusingly as I'm just recovering from having 3 more implants (front 3 teeth) placed with pig-bone mush to help hold them in place. That was yesterday, today I'm feeling sore and tired, and more soup doesn't appeal.
I was one of those who in the mid to late '60's had a dentist who seemed to work on the basis that the more fillings they put in the sooner they could retire. We had 2 sweets and a chocolate biscuit on a Sunday and a healthy diet as kids, and no fillings until we started to go to him.
Many too many amphetamines as a teenager and a comedic/tragic fall coming out of a pub having not had a single drink saw me land on my jaw, smashing almost all my teeth (17 I seem to remember)and several of my roots then led to serious treatment rebuilding them as best possible.
Many infections, abscess's and a lot of hours in a dentists chair, and the lingering fear of caps and crowns falling out at the least opportune moments have followed. Crunchy peanut butter featured in many nightmares, and many meals were spoilt for me and others by me spitting out lumps.
Thankfully I have a wonderful client/friend who has paid for all my implants and I seem now to have found a very good dentist/orthodontist who recommends Blue M toothpaste and mouthwash. I also use Duraphat 500 toothpaste which seems to be prescription only due to its heavy fluoride content.
I use a jet-wash instead of floss mainly out of habit as I seem to manage to forget to floss but find it easy to jet wash.. I will be going to his hygienist fairly soon once I have the stitches out in a week.
You certainly have been through the mill. Commiserations.
Your toothpaste costs more than £9 a tube. I'd rather have Cognac.
I do wish things get very much better for you soon. I Iook forward to your posts.

Sorry to hear of your pains mate, I got a 6 month prescription of the Duraphat toothpaste but found it gave me an upset stomach.

You floss your car?

Crikey, and bugger. I thought the two bucket method would be enough.

John

Last edited:
You can, funny man, but not for cleaning. Dental floss is good for removing badges cleanly for that unadorned look, if that is your preference.

advertisement

Back