advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+3)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a simulation of government- a panto with the pretence of something being done. A kind interpretation might be they’re doing it for public consumption but I fear they might actually believe they are directing real strategy. I’ve never seen the likes. Just waiting for the boom crash wallop.
Unfortunately, I think we have a government entirely filled with prime examples of the Peter Principle in action.

Peter...?

noakes-5-3jpg-js175915283.jpg

Yes the government is basically off it's chump. Although Labour appears equally confused as well. I had been assuming it was tacitly accepting that we would stay in the SM and CU (because Kier Starmer and their policy says that we will retain all the current benefits we have) but now it seems this is not true and Jeremy believes in sunny uplands and unicorns just as much as May,

I guess Britain could, at some point down the line, rejoin the SM and CU after the other options have been proven a disaster. I'd say that's the best we can hope for at the moment, unless parliament can grow a backbone and force a sensible resolution to this clusterfcuk.

I'm just glad the last of the proceeds of our house sale will be safely out of the UK in the next few days. Britain can do it's worst now, lol.

And what will the Brexitiers do if this is true, I wonder. Start a Tory civil war and a leadership challenge? Or throw some fish in the Thames? Of course, they could always kill two birds with one stone and chuck Rees-Mogg, Johnson, Bone et al in the Thames....

"Tony Connelly ‏Verified account @tconnellyRTE 8m8 minutes ago
BREAKING: Taoiseach Leo Varadkar says that the British Prime Minister Theresa May shd table a new proposal on the future customs relationship between the EU & UK within the next 2 wks, hints it cd see continued alignment btwn whole of UK and EU on customs into the future"

Tony Connelly‏Verified account @tconnellyRTE 4m4 minutes ago
Asked if the Theresa May could deliver on a new customs relationship given the depths of opposition by hardliners in her cabinet, the Taoiseach said he believed she could, although it involved the “internal politics of the UK."

Cleggy sold out LD voters in 2010 general election.
Before the EU referendum it appears the LDs sold out voters again.

20180517_171056.jpg

From Private Eye

I think the polls haven't budged because people have basically lost the will to live and said "que sera sera, it's out of my hands noW, get on with it".

We have fool howling in the wilderness, David Mundell, Scottish Secretary ordering our Parliament to “stop bickering and get behind May to make Brexit a success”.
Actually I have some sympathy with his view. I'm a reminer but nevertheless the spirit of "look, the public said what they wanted, get on and do your jobs, stop bitching and sort it out, you are representatives of the people so get on and represent them, make the very best of this that you can" is not a foolish thing to say at all.

The idiocy is that the closeness of these polls with their constant swinging from a majority favouring first leave, then remain, then back again, shows that the public as a whole are still undecided whether they want Brexit or not - yet ‘the Will of the People’ was apparently set in stone due to a marginal decision on a specific day.

Last edited:
You could be right - if so it`s certainly the only principle the government has any involvement with.
Isn't this government operating under the uncertainty principle? It has defined Brexit as a place it wants to get to, but it's momentum in getting there has gone array. In an effort to get back on track and define it's momentum, it's got very confused about where it wants to get to?

Hopefully my appalling racism is not in breach of the AUP but this made me laugh like a drain:

He went up to Oxford with a thirst for knowledge
He studied Classics at Balliol College
That's why I Caught his eye

He told me that his dad was loaded
I said "I wish I'd known that before I voted"
He said "Fine"
And in thirty years' time
He said

"I want the votes of gammon people
I want to do whatever gammon people do
I want to sleep with gammmon people
I want to sleep with gammon people like you"