advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+15)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gavin Williamson's been quiet lately. I wonder what he's thinking?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/11/brexit-uk-military-defence-gavin-williamson

He's off his effing trolley.

"Advanced new technologies" is he hoping for Harry Potter's wand?. The UK doesn't have enough engineers to run projects for all these magic solutions, if it had more engineers than the rest of Europe maybe but it opted for more accountants than the rest of Europe instead.

Johnson, straight from the ukip manifesto. See how he positions himself as future leader firmly on their territory-

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ks-call-for-multibillion-cut-to-uk-aid-budget
“Calls for a multibillion-pound cut in the UK’s overseas aid budget and closure of the Department for International Development (DfID) as a separate Whitehall entity are set out in a new Conservative vision for a post-Brexit “global Britain” backed by the former foreign secretary Boris Johnson”.

"Advanced new technologies" is he hoping for Harry Potter's wand?. The UK doesn't have enough engineers to run projects for all these magic solutions, if it had more engineers than the rest of Europe maybe but it opted for more accountants than the rest of Europe instead.

Not exactly Harry Potter, but close.

DzG6xlPX4AEKNX9.jpg:small

mother treeza : finding money for those parts of the 'united kingdom' that feel left behind :)

ummmm, i wonder who it has been doing the leaving behind?

political expediency? a transparent attempt to flank jc? should in fact jc assist mother treeza in delivering their tory bre*it? so many questions

Referring to May's reply, it seems to me that Labour's Customs Union requires a fair bit of work which is not surprising. However, the Plan shifts the onus on to the CU (where there is room for manoeuvre) and away from the backstop which appeared to be a dead-end.

Some 200 years ago, William Cobbett, in his famous 'Rural Rides', described the discontent caused by higher prices and lower wages in the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars. He noted that the Tories, then, as now, the governing party, were attracting much of the blame, but suspected that the Whigs, then the main opposition party, were hoping in vain for electoral success as a result. His opinion, based on discussions with those he met on his travels, was that the Whigs and Tories would be, as he put it' 'TARRED WITH THE SAME BRUSH'. If May was really smart (or even half-bright) she'd grab the opportunity to ensure that Labour shared the blame for the Brexitshambles (beyond nodding through Article 50) by adopting as many of Labour's ideas as possible.

i agree. i see nothing other than a trap for jc. mother treeza is still playing her political games and riding the tory agenda. feck the country, feck the right thing to do.

^ that is simply because they have responsible, adult governments doing the best for their people. caring for their people, doing the best they can for them. as opposed to us here where the first priority of our governments is it's mp's, their incomes, their expenses, how big and easy to reach is the trough, who do we give backhanders to in order to stay in power...a small example of that would be the norwegians husbanding the revenues from their oil and using them to invest in their society. guess what our 'governments' have been doing with our oil revenues?

i agree. i see nothing other than a trap for jc. mother treeza is still playing her political games and riding the tory agenda. feck the country, feck the right thing to do.

I think it could boost his standing as he could be seen as saving the country from the Tory clusterf*ck of all clusterf*cks. They are both on a tightrope but she is more in danger of splitting her party over a cross-party compromise than he is.

They are both on a tightrope and I think she is more in danger of splitting her party over a cross-party compromise than he is.

What makes you think that? Given that she is doing what the majority of her support want and he is not.

What makes you think that? Given that she is doing what the majority of her support want and he is not.

The hard right in the Tory party have made all the running in this issue and will not go down without a big bang.

I think it's a measure of the success of the media campaign to build a sense of crisis around Labour that anyone could consider their problems with party unity to be even comparable with those of the Conservatives, let alone worse. The Tories are in existential crisis and that is why all this is happening. There is potential for rupture within Labour on this issue but otherwise the "split" basically consists of half a dozen noisy careerists with mates at The Guardian constantly s___ talking the leadership and membership and preparing their escape pods.

I think it's a measure of the success of the media campaign to build a sense of crisis around Labour that anyone could consider their problems with party unity to be even comparable with those of the Conservatives, let alone worse. The Tories are in existential crisis and that is why all this is happening. There is potential for rupture within Labour on this issue but otherwise the "split" basically consists of half a dozen noisy careerists with mates at The Guardian constantly s___ talking the leadership and membership and preparing their escape pods.

We're all led by the meeja except you Sean. The "half a dozen careerists" are not the issue, pursuing some deal that enables blame dilution across the piece while pissing off 70% of your support is more of an issue. An electoral price beckons.

The hard right in the Tory party have made all the running in this issue and will not go down without a big bang.

The hard right have indeed made the running for May within the Tory party, but those cowards are parasites who need their party machine host. We've seen Mogg march them up various hills so far, only for them to fold.

Irony meter is end-stopping and about to break:

Disinformation campaigns are distorting global news

Tony Hall said:
If fake news is the poison, those who stand up for integrity and impartiality in news must be the antidote. At the BBC, we are always looking for new ways to live up to these responsibilities.

IronyMeterSplode.jpg

This is a piece written by Tony Hall, the Director General of the BBC, who consistently have talking heads spouting utter nonsense and drivel without being challenged, thereby normalising extremism and misinformed opinion, not to mention the utter sewage pit that is Question Time. They must be held partially responsible for the mess we are now in.

We're all led by the meeja except you Sean. The "half a dozen careerists" are not the issue, pursuing some deal that enables blame dilution across the piece while pissing off 70% of your support is more of an issue. An electoral price beckons.
Perhaps. Nonetheless, if you think that Labour is as split as the Tories, or undergoing any meaningful kind of split at all, then you've been misled, and the obvious culprit is the media campaign that has been designed to mislead you on this issue.

Irony meter is end-stopping and about to break:

Disinformation campaigns are distorting global news

This is a piece written by Tony Hall, the Director General of the BBC, who consistently have talking heads spouting utter nonsense and drivel without being challenged, thereby normalising extremism and misinformed opninion, not to mention the utter sewage pit that is Question Time. They must be held partially responsible for the mess we are now in.

I have a problem with people spouting factual nonsense and not being challenged and why people who deny global warming are allowed on at all is beyond me, it's like the enlightenment never happened. However the QT audience cannot really be selected to reflect views we like, this is what the average person thinks and one of the reasons we are facing brexit was that way of thinking was not taken into account.

I have a problem with people spouting factual nonsense and not being challenged and why people who deny global warming are allowed on at all is beyond me, it's like the enlightenment never happened. However the QT audience cannot really be selected to reflect views we like, this is what the average person thinks and one of the reasons we are facing brexit was that way of thinking was not taken into account.
I agree with the first bit, but on the QT audience point, I don’t think it was their thinking not being taken into account so much as their social and economic position being ignored. At least, that’s what Raga says, and he seems to have a handle on that stuff, better than me anyway.

Thing is, by depicting the underclasses as having these dim and bigoted views, you legitimise the ignoring of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back