advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+15)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanm

pfm Member
At one point (early noughties?) I wasn't alone in having some time for Digby - and no, we're not related. He really is an arsehole though.

Speaking as an ex-public school boy, there is definitely and I hope definitively something of this farce that should make our collective heads hang in shame about our collective and entirely unearned arrogance.
If by "our" you mean "the Conservatives'" then sure.

Ah, the humility of labour...
I wasn't really talking about other political parties. There's a tendency now to attribute all of this to some flaw in the national psyche. I'm always up for a bit of that but it's time to get serious, really, isn't it? This is all down to the ____ing Tories: their horrible parliamentary party, their sadistic newspapers, their insane members, and their barely less reprehensible voters. It's them, all them: they did it. Tory MPs like Soubry shaking their heads over the sad state of the leadership, Tory pundits wringing their hands over the UK's poisonous political culture, Tory voters wondering what old England has come to: they can all ____ing do one. This is on them.

At one point (early noughties?) I wasn't alone in having some time for Digby - and no, we're not related. He really is an arsehole though.

Speaking as an ex-public school boy, there is definitely and I hope definitively something of this farce that should make our collective heads hang in shame about our collective and entirely unearned arrogance.

I assume that you are referring to those who went to public school. If so, damn right.

I am beginning to think that the best thing now for the UK is to spend some time in the wilderness via a catastrophic hard Brexit so that people in Britain (England) can reflect on events and shake off this delusional sense of entitlement and exceptionalism and perhaps rebuild something better for the future. Hopefully, that will involve rejoining the EU at some point. Of course, the UK might break up during this period of reflection but perhaps it is time now for that.

What the Tories voted for
3ca5c0222437547053079d45c6d06bc7.jpg

What they will get in Brussels
Screen-Shot-2017-01-30-at-12.55.18.png

Only Depression and Acceptance left now. A month for each ?
No need for JRM to replace May: more appropriate for an eminence grise to just pull her strings.

I'm damned if I'm going to acceptance.

I'm starting to think about what we disenfranchised 48% Remain voters can do to express our ongoing displeasure, after the event. Not really civil disobedience, but a constant level of non co-operation. Could go on for years. Suggestions on a postcard.

He may be from The S*n, but he's reliable on Tory stuff...

"Tom Newton Dunn‏Verified account @tnewtondunn
Excl: May’s capitulation to hardline Brexiteer demands was total - including a shake up of her negotiating team. Gavin Barwell promised it will now include UK’s rep to WTO Julian Braithwaite and DIT’s chief negotiator Crawford Falconer;"

So it looks like we're going to get an ERG Brexit. Probably a Full ERG Brexit.

And when it goes wrong (very, very badly wrong) the very same people who told you WTO rules would lead us to the economic promised land, will blame foreigners and traitors for the economic failure. That is what nationalists always do. I expect things to get very ugly.

Would be amusing if it wasn't so tragic. Also alarming is that he seems to have done something to his hair that reduces the scarecrow factor - what's he up to?

last night was just a classic example of what we see week in, week out. tory party before country. i hope nobody is surprised? though mind you, what was it, 14 labour mp's? wowsers. dear sweet jeremy looks more and more like the hapless bystander who doesn't mind too much because his secret dream is coming to pass before his eyes and if it does indeed to belly-up, nobody will be able to point the finger his way. here's hoping he has an even more secret plan. of course, the erg (sic) only jumped on board because it sees may's next jolly to brussels as having failed before she steps onto the train and thus the cliff edge, er... edges closer. have to luvvittt

Pure Brian Rix. The EU are going to cave and throw Ireland under the bus because May has a bit more support from people the EU trust even less? Of course they are.

Hope Raga was watching the Mansfield interviews, thick doesn't begin to cover it.

Had to endure the bone headed, la la la not listening Stephen Barclay ( the third and current Brexit Secretary) talking relentlessly on R4 just now. Yes but unicorns, the prime minister is marvellous, the EU will renegotiate.

I keep coming back to the question that if we can't even negotiate sensibly with our closest trading partner and ally, how do we honestly expect to fare when negotiating with countries which aren't as motivated to see our continuing success?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back