advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+15)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a good read, we've had it good for so long and taken it for granted.

"The British stiff upper lip cannot explain the absence of fear: if it ever existed, it wilted long ago. Rather, the deep complacency of British and in particular English life, which sleeps soundly beneath all the noise of the news cycle, still makes the average citizen believe it can’t happen here. The only major European country to escape both communism and fascism, or occupation by the armies of Hitler or Stalin, has an ingrained bias against taking the possibility of disaster seriously. We’ve always managed before, previous alarms have turned out to be false, are the default responses of a country that has yet to learn that the past does not always determine the future."

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...reparing-for-brexit-by-keeping-us-in-the-dark

The majority of Brexiteers are either:
a) Have nothing to lose so nothing matters.
b) Are stupid racists. Stupid because replacing the white EU people that leave (and would have left in time anyway) will be mostly brown people (who will never leave).
c) Retired old little Englanders in the countryside who think nothing much can affect them anyway.
d) Rich little Englanders like JRM proud of a nationalistic version of history and don't want EU oversight of their scams.

That leaves the real bozos whose jobs rely on the EU but voted to leave anyway. Not sure what to say about them.

And they are not British: they are English. I never really appreciated how different (better) Scotland is from England until now.

Anyway, much like the people in the EU now, who cares ?

It was around the point when ‘just you wait, he’s playing a blinder, any minute now he’s going to do something... any minute now...’ slowly began to turn into ‘you know what, I think he might want to see this happen...’
Yeah...peak moment...not.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/...d-labour-corbyn-brexit?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

It’s what I was hearing in Manchester. I think Jezzer has stuffed it.

Corbyn is for the dinosaur's yard. That is obvious to the students in Bristol.

“The only person who comes close (to Remain) is Vince Cable, and he doesn’t hold a lot of power,” says George Smith, a computer science student. “Jeremy Corbyn has provided no leadership on Brexit – he’s been absolutely awful. He needs to stop putting the needs of his own party before the interests of the country.”

The proposal advanced by Labour MPs Peter Kyle and Phil Wilson to go ahead with May's Brexit deal, on the understanding there will another referendum, will make no difference.

May plans to delay a meaningful vote right down to the wire and if she loses the UK will crash out. This will please the right wing/ERG section of her party. The Labour hardliners will be happy as well. All they are interested in is getting into power. Being able to blame May and the Tories for everything will, they hope, be their ticket in future.

A plague on both of their houses. There won't be the chance of a majority for a second referendum until Labour openly supports it. At the moment they don't, because Corby doesn't want it to happen.

I hope the students start rioting again and people in the nation follow them. Kick May and Corbyn out now.

Jack

It was around the point when ‘just you wait, he’s playing a blinder, any minute now he’s going to do something... any minute now...’ slowly began to turn into ‘you know what, I think he might want to see this happen...’

His cunning plan seems to be have the UK crash out of the EU, blame the Tories for the ensuing mess and then hope to win the next general election. Of course the country gets stuffed in the process, but it’s worth it if he gets into number 10. Isn’t it?

His cunning plan seems to be have the UK crash out of the EU, blame the Tories for the ensuing mess and then hope to win the next general election. Of course the country gets stuffed in the process, but it’s worth it if he gets into number 10. Isn’t it?

The flaw in the plan may be that although the Tories will get a fair amount of blame for a no-deal crash Labour will also get plenty of blame for making no apparent attempt to stop it.

The flaw in the plan may be that although the Tories will get a fair amount of blame for a no-deal crash Labour will also get plenty of blame for making no apparent attempt to stop it.

The unintended political consequences from this are going to be fascinating to watch. If the perception is that the UK is politically unstable at the moment- it isn’t going to tidy itself up with a shitty Brexit deal or a general election.

The scene at CCHQ

May: "WTAF. We've got to do something guys. Anything. Brainstorm. Go."
Grayling: "Tell them they're having a nightmare, and if they vote for the deal they'll wake up?"
May: "Grayling you c___."
Barclay: "How about we tell them they can vote for the deal, because we won't actually go ahead with it?"
May: "FFS you're worse than ---"
Barclay: "Wait! Obviously no-one's going to buy that coming from us, but what if we get some remainers to suggest it?"
May: "Oh ____ it, what have we got to lose. Barwell, get Soubry on the blower. And I'll need a list of the biggest idiots in all the opposition parties. I mean, the real f___ing rubes."

Your brilliant satire has exposed the secret Tory plot and I shamefacedly withdraw my support for this stupid idea. Apols.

It’s purely a lack of guts to face the public with some truth about the consequences. To lead rather than follow opinion. Tories you can understand why because it would involve admitting that a significant part of their party led the country to this and the rest have not done enough to stop it. Labour have no such excuse. Corbyn is no leader and given that he and his handler are on board with leaving the EU has no great incentive either.

All this talk of splits in parties well let’s just think, in the event of leaving the EU which party is more likely to be unhappy, the majority Leave or the majority pro-EU membership party? Gee tough one.

Back May’s deal, then hold people’s vote: plan to end Brexit deadlock

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-deal-then-hold-peoples-vote-backbencher-plan

I wish something like that would get through. At least it would mean no no deal, and an end in sight. But I'm very skeptical that it will. Too many firm stances taken against it already - TM's stance that there definitely won't be a second ref, and Labour's stance that they'll only back a deal if it conforms to their demands. The required outbreak of pragmatism to get from those positions to being able to back this initiative is just too much to expect IMO.

On R4 now May has magnanimously granted a non binding vote to help her further negotiate, held at the end of the month. What happened to this happening ASAP, or the middle of the month if that isn't possible? And being meaningful ie binding?

On R4 now May has magnanimously granted a non binding vote to help her further negotiate, held at the end of the month. What happened to this happening ASAP, or the middle of the month if that isn't possible? And being meaningful ie binding?

She controls the agenda! Time for another VoNC?

It's a shame that so many of our politicians from all parties appear to have very little interest in what's best for the country and more in either their own personal or party interest. Sad.

A sign the world is going mad. What mindset would drive a rally like that? Initially I thought it was a rally for exactly the opposite as I could understand that as being logical.

On my youtube adventures here is another alternative reality. The scary thing here is the young guy is like a minireesmogg. The world is definitely going mad.
The rise of the sound bite and ability to talk over people in debates with alternative facts is the new world here and now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back