Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New CD player required

Discussion in 'audio' started by Tarzan, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

My old but very nice sounding TEAC CD player has gone to digital heaven, it was the model PDH-600 and it was a half size player which for the money ( £400) sounded and looked much better than it should have... however it will now need replacing and am will be looking for a new ( probably half width due to size restraints ) CD player... budget is around £2000, system is Vincent SV-237MK amp with either ProAc Tablette 10 or Audionote ANK/LX...… really like the look of the Audionote Zero CD player... are there any others l should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.:)

2. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Get the old one fixed. The mech is readily available and cheap.
    Why on earth would you spend £ 2000 on a CD player anyway? :D

Alex S, brumjam, martin clark and 3 others like this.
  3. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

What are your thoughts on a cheap transport into a decent DAC?

4. Sonci

Sonci pfm Member

I don’t know his thoughts, but to me it’s not even close to a cd player.
    They say modern dacs sound the same connected to a cd player or to tv cable box, maybe some uber dac..
    Before this turns in another streaming thread, I’d say get a multibit vintage cd player, all the other dacs or cd players sound the same..

5. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

I think you have to consider spending a lot less, but still outdistancing the Teac.
    Less than a grand, Rega's Apollo, and just over a grand, the new Cyrus CDi. I used not to like the Cyrus sound, but had a brief listen at a pals last month and was 'well impressed'. Both are half sized, the Cyrus in black or Silver is about £1100 ish.
    Full size, the field opens up wide, but still you'd need to treble the cost of those two before you made a serious difference to the sound, and even then, it's about nuance I suspect. The rega has a slightly warmer sound and more present sound stage, the Cyrus has more detail digging ability but unlike Cyrus' of the past, does it whilst still producing music that flows.

6. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

I agree with Chartz, if you like the Teac then get it fixed and keep it.

What's wrong with the Teac?

Tarzan likes this.
  7. orbscure

orbscure My God, its full of stars...

If you can find one, get a Resolution Opus 21 and spend what you have left on some music :)

notevenclose and madscientist like this.
  8. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Cool! Do not have to spend as much as l thought:)

Will do some swotting up on the players mentioned.... want just the one box.:)

Still likes this.
  9. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

Tarzan likes this.
  10. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I bet the Exposure is good. I'm mostly analogue and find the difference between digital sources slight but found the older 3010s2 to be a useful improvement on a Rega DAC, which I thought was excellent in itself.

11. PerF

PerF Member

I just had my old Saturn serviced and its ready for another decade

Not the last word in detail, but musicality is spot-on

Comfortly within budget

Folkman likes this.
  12. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I use a Rega Saturn-R through a Rega DAC and I can't see past it. An amazingly musical and satisfying player with the added benefit of full DAC functionality, even without the extra DAC. Sounds like music, not a machine. I might try an Isis one day but I have no interest in anything else.

hifinutt likes this.
  13. Cav

Cav pfm Member

It works for me.

Alex S likes this.
  14. cjyosemite

cjyosemite pfm Member

The only half-width I have experiences is Cyrus but I lost faith in them years ago. The Rega Apollo looks a better bet to me based on my experience with a Saturn-R which I thought was very good.

15. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Rega or Naim, new or second hand, any model up to your budget, both make good CD players, if you like CD's then these companies at least will service them in years to come.

If you need half width the the Rega Apollo.

16. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

I've just bought a Moon 260d. When I went to the dealer to listen to the Moon ACE he used the 260 in the demo. When I then demo'd at home, my Naim cd5x didn't sound anywhere near as good.
    I got some stick from some younger friends in the pub last night. "Buying a CD player? In 2019? When did anyone last buy a cd?" I was able to say that my wife had actually bought two this week, albums that I'd played on Qobuz at her request, and that she'd enjoyed. She likes to have music in a physical format, and it was her who actually urged the purchase of the 260.

17. Sonci

Sonci pfm Member

Does it have digital inputs? How's the sound when used as a a dac?

18. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

beautifully built , there was one on ebay recently . however not half width player

19. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

would concur with you there , bel canto do or did a half width cd transport

https://www.iglooaudio.co.uk/bel-canto-cd3t.html

20. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Naim won’t.