advertisement

New CD player required

I like Naim CD players but the ones I've tried can't match the Saturn-R/DAC. The CDX/XPS was very dynamic and impressive but sounded very mechanical and two-dimensional. Something not right with the timing as well, sounded stilted.

Bought a CD5XS last year to see if it could better the Saturn combo. Poor thing, I felt embarrassed for it. It was so far behind that it sounded like a cheap player by comparison. I thought it might be better than the Rega is some ways but it was just a walkover.

I'd like to hear the Saturn-R against a CDS. I've heard various versions of the CDS often and I certainly wouldn't bet against the Rega.
The Naim CD5x performs better with the Naim Flatcap power supply, in my experience. Although if I needed to replace my CD player the Saturn R would be one that I’d like to audition.

Its not half width but if your quick you can grab yourself a bargain and get one of these http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=293162038344

This is what I am currently using for CD playback and to my ears it sounds superb. I prefer it over my Apollo R which has now stopped working, I assume the mech or laser has gone as it cannot read any discs anymore. I may get it repaired at some point but the TASCAM sounds that good that i am in no hurry. I also got if for free which was a huge bonus!

I don't have a remote for it (if anyone does I'll gladly take it off your hands! :)) and have never used the recording facilities on the unit, but handy to have although I would need the remote to do so

I have no affiliation with the seller

ATB

Gingerbeard

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Naim CD5x performs better with the Naim Flatcap power supply, in my experience.

Yeah, one of the things that pisses me off about Naim. They sell you something that costs thousands of pounds and then say 'oh to get it to work properly you really need another expensive box'! Stupidly fell for that nonsense for twenty years. Would it not be lovely if they just made kit that worked properly out of the box in the first place?

I tried a Hi-Cap on my CD3.5 and of course the XPS on the CDX so I do know what sort of difference power supplies make to Naim CD players. Not enough is the answer. The Saturn-R wasn't just a little better than the CD5XS, it demolished it. No power supply was going to save it and bear in mind the cost. The Saturn-R, even with an extra DAC, is about the same new price as the CD5XS. Why spend hundreds more just to help it catch up when you already have a player that costs the same money and sounds better?

I also tried the CD5XS as a transport into the Rega DAC. It didn't sound as good as the Saturn playing transport but it was better than the bare CD5XS. I was limited to only a couple of coax cables to try though so I wouldn't be dogmatic about it.

But then I put on my turntable and forget that CD was ever invented ;0)

Yeah, one of the things that pisses me off about Naim. They sell you something that costs thousands of pounds and then say 'oh to get it to work properly you really need another expensive box'! Stupidly fell for that nonsense for twenty years. Would it not be lovely if they just made kit that worked properly out of the box in the first place?

Naim’s empty boxes have been one of the greatest scams of the hi-fi world. Basically, selling a box with a transformer, a rectifier and some caps at £ 1000, seriously?
The worst is the Armageddon PSU.

And people fell for those things.

Anyway, Rega CD players are nice things. But no better than Japanese players (they share a lot).
There is a lot of placebo in this, beware and just compare, blindly whenever possible. You’ll be surprised.

Half width - Quad Artera Play is really nice. Pretty sure you can bypass the preamp section. Separate DAC inputs too. Previously had a Rega DAC that was also very good. Also had an Audio Note DAC and transport (the half width aluminum box versions) - probably the best overall sound of the 3, but all nice.

If that's your budget, why are you buying a CD player which is almost bound to fall into obsolescence?

Get a ripper/drive. I had this conundrum two years ago, bought a Naim UnitiCore, currently running into a Chord 2Qute. Not that I'd want to reignite any transport/all-just-ones-and-zeros debate, but it sounds fantastic and the convenience factor is off the scale.

Cheaper options (Innuos, etc) are available.

I have a Cambridge Audio CXC CD transport that I use with a DAC. Its sound quality is outstanding. I strongly recommend looking into one of their CD players which uses the same transport mechanism if you are flexible on the half width requirement.

Chaps thanks for all the advice things have moved on a tad, l managed to get the TEAC PDH-600 fixed:D, so now am thinking of adding a DAC to it, the one l have my eyes on are Audionote DACs, however researching them they have only one coaxial input, but the base DAC 0.1X has two inputs ( one coax and a USB) being a digital numpty and will eventually join the streaming avalanche, will the single input/ two output limit what l can go with when l start streaming.
Thanks for understanding, trying to make my Wonga and DAC go a longer way.:D

Good move fixing it for the short term.....
Buy a QNAP NAS, free copy of EAC and start ripping your CDs on a PC/Laptop.... then pick up a used Linn Akurate DS.
Simple, effective, sounds great and useable by the whole family via the app. For sure the nerds will be along soon with Pi approach, great for geeks.
After 10+ years of DS use the streaming debates crack me up, it’s such old hat. You will get convenient access to your collection, services like Tidal, internet radio and room correction all included.

a comparison to rega apollo would be interesting

I am working on this! Actually I am selling my Isis. If I could do it private, I will buy the Audiolab 6000CDT! If not, I put it to the dealer and buy an upgrade Innuos Zen to Zenith and Exposure XM CD!

Tarzan,

I simply don't understand why, in 2019, you would be looking to replace a CD player with another CD player, it makes absolutely no sense.

Rip all your existing CD's (if you must but a lot may well already be available to stream) and buy a streamer...............

You seem to be looking for/ getting advised to replace 1980's technology with more 1980's technology.

Regards

Richard

Tarzan,

I simply don't understand why, in 2019, you would be looking to replace a CD player with another CD player, it makes absolutely no sense.

Rip all your existing CD's (if you must but a lot may well already be available to stream) and buy a streamer...............

You seem to be looking for/ getting advised to replace 1980's technology with more 1980's technology.

Regards

Richard

Maybe no sense to you, but perfect sense to many other people.

Among other reasons, many credible listeners/reviewers prefer sq of physical transports to streamers.

Why would feeding a DAC from a spinning disc of silver foil be better than feeding it from a network card and buffer?
Technically the streamer has surely developed beyond the limitations of CD as a means of suppling a source of data to process by any given DAC.
Rip and stream, to a Linn DS for the win.

advertisement

Back