advertisement

New CD player required

Among other reasons, many credible listeners/reviewers prefer sq of physical transports to streamers.

What makes them credible?

There are many technical reasons why a streamer is potentially capable of better sound than a traditional CD player.

..will the single input/ two output limit what l can go with when l start streaming.
Thanks for understanding, trying to make my Wonga and DAC go a longer way.:D

If you plan to have 2 sources and don't want to swap cables, you'll need at least 2 inputs on the DAC!

As regards which inputs, it's all a bit up in the air with streamers. There is SPDIF, toslink, AES/EBU, RJ45 etc. etc. The I2S connection is probably the best way to connect digital audio equipment, but still I2S has no international standard in terms of the format or the connectors used. I2S over HDMI seems to be the front runner (PS Audio, Rockna, hi-end Chinese brands) – most other I2S connections are proprietary.

I'd be inclined to pick up a (used/cheap) DAC to best suit current needs and be prepared to change again if/when you add a streamer.

Maybe no sense to you, but perfect sense to many other people.

Among other reasons, many credible listeners/reviewers prefer sq of physical transports to streamers.

Luddites to the right and luddites to the left??? :rolleyes:

I do respect alternate views I'm just utterly mystified by people preferring a system requiring a totally unnecessary transitional stage.

The OP had a budget of £2000 to spend so could spend £500 on the likes of a Synology NAS and then have £1500 to spend on a streamer. Seems a no-brainer to me.

Regards

Richard

There's nothing up in the air over connecting streamers..... well not for the last 10+ years anyway.
Buy a NAS plug it into your router. (or another type of computer running media server software)
Buy a Streamer plug into to your router, RJ45 CAT5 network cable, either direct or via "Powerline" plug set up. Or WiFi if it has it.
Plug the line outs of the streamer into the now redundant CD inputs on your amp.
Use a tablet, smart phone etc as a control point to tell the streamer what songs to collect and play from the NAS/Media server.
Simples........now sit back and enjoy the music with fretting over the tech

Luddites to the right and luddites to the left??? :rolleyes:

I do respect alternate views I'm just utterly mystified by people preferring a system requiring a totally unnecessary transitional stage.

The OP had a budget of £2000 to spend so could spend £500 on the likes of a Synology NAS and then have £1500 to spend on a streamer. Seems a no-brainer to me.

Regards

Richard
Like i said, some people prefer it, me included, both from a user and sound quality perspective. What i find strange is that people find it necessary to voice their opinions on others. I have never felt inclined to voice my opinion of streaming to people who choose to use this as their preferred medium unless asked specifically to do so. I cannot possibly count how many times i've read the 'wisdom' of streaming from people who feel the need to express their preference when someone asks about a CD player.

Like i said, some people prefer it, me included, both from a user and sound quality perspective. What i find strange is that people find it necessary to voice their opinions on others. I have never felt inclined to voice my opinion of streaming to people who choose to use this as their preferred medium unless asked specifically to do so. I cannot possibly count how many times i've read the 'wisdom' of streaming from people who feel the need to express their preference when someone asks about a CD player.
Surely anybody posting on a forum is 'expressing an opinion'? I am not 'forcing' anything, simply asking a challenging question.

If more than one person expresses a similar view, which in this case they do, then the alternate suggestion must have some merit?

It may give the OP cause to consider whether their expressed 'desire' is the only course of action open to them.

I am reminded of the old 'Smash' adverts........

Regards

Richard

Surely anybody posting on a forum is 'expressing an opinion'? I am not 'forcing' anything, simply asking a challenging question.

If more than one person expresses a similar view, which in this case they do, then the alternate suggestion must have some merit?

It may give the OP cause to consider whether their expressed 'desire' is the only course of action open to them.

Regards

Richard
Or you could just let people do what they want without trying to 'save' them.

There's nothing up in the air over connecting streamers..... well not for the last 10+ years anyway.
Buy a NAS plug it into your router. (or another type of computer running media server software)
Buy a Streamer plug into to your router, RJ45 CAT5 network cable, either direct or via "Powerline" plug set up. Or WiFi if it has it.
Plug the line outs of the streamer into the now redundant CD inputs on your amp.
Use a tablet, smart phone etc as a control point to tell the streamer what songs to collect and play from the NAS/Media server.
Simples........now sit back and enjoy the music with fretting over the tech
Or just get a one-box CD player (like the OP wanted) and enjoy the simplicity playing one album at a time.

Regards

Richard
Ah...modernity laughing at the old ways whilst replacing them with the cheapest, worst tasting shite of all time. I remember that.

I went for an Audionote CDT3 transport because it was the right money, but if you did want an Audionote transport, go for the ones with the CD-Pro transports as they bought a large amount of them to keep their CD players running for years to come.

Aren't many modern CDP just PC drives reading at a faster than real time rate into a buffer to feed the DAC? Ie simulating a streaming architecture.
Playing digital is about the preservation of the digital data and it's sympathetic conversion to analogue, why get hung up on the architecture that achieves it best?
Personally I couldn't give a **** what people do, just offering a view after streaming for over 10 years, I recently plugged a 25 year old Linn Karik CDP (still a lovely sounding player) into a my Linn streamer to use as it as Transport/DAC to see how it sounded. Spinning the disc had no advantage over pulling the same file off the NAS.... It was better than the internal DAC in the CDP though. That said the draw mech on a Karik is always a pleasure to operate.
Focus on the music not the technology...... or just play vinyl ..LOL

Aren't many modern CDP just PC drives reading at a faster than real time rate into a buffer to feed the DAC?

Yes - and re-reading any blocks that are problematic, instead of "faking" by interpolating and extrapolating, like old-fashioned CDPs.

advertisement

Back