advertisement

New CD player required

Tarzan

pfm Member
My old but very nice sounding TEAC CD player has gone to digital heaven, it was the model PDH-600 and it was a half size player which for the money ( £400) sounded and looked much better than it should have... however it will now need replacing and am will be looking for a new ( probably half width due to size restraints ) CD player... budget is around £2000, system is Vincent SV-237MK amp with either ProAc Tablette 10 or Audionote ANK/LX...… really like the look of the Audionote Zero CD player... are there any others l should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.:)

What are your thoughts on a cheap transport into a decent DAC?
I don’t know his thoughts, but to me it’s not even close to a cd player.
They say modern dacs sound the same connected to a cd player or to tv cable box, maybe some uber dac..
Before this turns in another streaming thread, I’d say get a multibit vintage cd player, all the other dacs or cd players sound the same..

I think you have to consider spending a lot less, but still outdistancing the Teac.
Less than a grand, Rega's Apollo, and just over a grand, the new Cyrus CDi. I used not to like the Cyrus sound, but had a brief listen at a pals last month and was 'well impressed'. Both are half sized, the Cyrus in black or Silver is about £1100 ish.
Full size, the field opens up wide, but still you'd need to treble the cost of those two before you made a serious difference to the sound, and even then, it's about nuance I suspect. The rega has a slightly warmer sound and more present sound stage, the Cyrus has more detail digging ability but unlike Cyrus' of the past, does it whilst still producing music that flows.

I agree with Chartz, if you like the Teac then get it fixed and keep it.

What's wrong with the Teac?

Cool! Do not have to spend as much as l thought:)

Will do some swotting up on the players mentioned.... want just the one box.:)

I just had my old Saturn serviced and its ready for another decade

Not the last word in detail, but musicality is spot-on

Comfortly within budget

I use a Rega Saturn-R through a Rega DAC and I can't see past it. An amazingly musical and satisfying player with the added benefit of full DAC functionality, even without the extra DAC. Sounds like music, not a machine. I might try an Isis one day but I have no interest in anything else.

The only half-width I have experiences is Cyrus but I lost faith in them years ago. The Rega Apollo looks a better bet to me based on my experience with a Saturn-R which I thought was very good.

Rega or Naim, new or second hand, any model up to your budget, both make good CD players, if you like CD's then these companies at least will service them in years to come.

If you need half width the the Rega Apollo.

I've just bought a Moon 260d. When I went to the dealer to listen to the Moon ACE he used the 260 in the demo. When I then demo'd at home, my Naim cd5x didn't sound anywhere near as good.
I got some stick from some younger friends in the pub last night. "Buying a CD player? In 2019? When did anyone last buy a cd?" I was able to say that my wife had actually bought two this week, albums that I'd played on Qobuz at her request, and that she'd enjoyed. She likes to have music in a physical format, and it was her who actually urged the purchase of the 260.

I've just bought a Moon 260d. When I went to the dealer to listen to the Moon ACE he used the 260 in the demo. When I then demo'd at home, my Naim cd5x didn't sound anywhere near as good.
I got some stick from some younger friends in the pub last night. "Buying a CD player? In 2019? When did anyone last buy a cd?" I was able to say that my wife had actually bought two this week, albums that I'd played on Qobuz at her request, and that she'd enjoyed. She likes to have music in a physical format, and it was her who actually urged the purchase of the 260.
Does it have digital inputs? How's the sound when used as a a dac?

Rega or Naim, new or second hand, any model up to your budget, both make good CD players, if you like CD's then these companies at least will service them in years to come.

If you need half width the the Rega Apollo.

Naim won’t.

advertisement

Back