advertisement

New CD player required

I must say I am getting the most delicious sound now with great imaging and Sonics from a modest rotel 965bx into a modest teac dac .into a pretty good amp with tannoys. I am not sure you need to spend 2k

I must say I am getting the most delicious sound now with great imaging and Sonics from a modest rotel 965bx into a modest teac dac .into a pretty good amp with tannoys. I am not sure you need to spend 2k
I had that cd player, hardly a modest dac can beat it's analog out..

I must say I am getting the most delicious sound now with great imaging and Sonics from a modest rotel 965bx into a modest teac dac .into a pretty good amp with q. I am not sure you need to spend 2k

The reason for the 2K budget was l am using a 2K with a 3K pair of speakers, which make a very nice sound indeed.....and also revealing, that said l drafted our SONY X55ES into the system and that sounds very nice indeed, however l can just about squeeze it on to the IKEA unit in my den system with all the rest of the stuff on it and Wifey now has no CD player in the lounge.:D

Keep your eye out for a used Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, the most analogue sounding CDP I've heard, not half width though, make room it would be worth it.
Some other good suggestions here too, Moon and Resolution Audio in particular.
Mac

Rega or Naim...

I like Naim CD players but the ones I've tried can't match the Saturn-R/DAC. The CDX/XPS was very dynamic and impressive but sounded very mechanical and two-dimensional. Something not right with the timing as well, sounded stilted.

Bought a CD5XS last year to see if it could better the Saturn combo. Poor thing, I felt embarrassed for it. It was so far behind that it sounded like a cheap player by comparison. I thought it might be better than the Rega is some ways but it was just a walkover.

I'd like to hear the Saturn-R against a CDS. I've heard various versions of the CDS often and I certainly wouldn't bet against the Rega.

Looking to buy new- as this will probably be my last CD Player- before getting engulfed in the streaming avalanche.

Thanks for the input mind.:)

Rega Saturn getting a few shouts.

You should be aware that in a side by side dem in a dealers, the Saturn may not impress you very much. It does not sound like a Naim CD player with its super-punchy razor's edge sound. The Saturn has a sonic signature closer to that of a turntable than any other CD player I've heard. If the system is balanced to suit a Naim CD player, the Saturn may sound a little soft.

I loved the effortless musicality of the player straight away but it took me a while to get dynamic balance right. I tried a few different cables and the last piece was to run it through the separate Rega DAC. Don't ask how the heck that came about but it opened up the sound and gave extra clarity and dynamics which really made the player sound complete.

NB: If you are mad enough to try a Saturn with a separate Rega DAC, be aware that the SPDIF cable you use to connect them makes a big difference. After trying about half a dozen different ones I've settled on a cheapo eBay video cable, yellow plastic plugs costing about £3! Sounds smoother and more natural than any of the others, including £100 and £200 Chord cables.

Lovely player, even without an external Dac.

Looking to buy new- as this will probably be my last CD Player- before getting engulfed in the streaming avalanche.

Thanks for the input mind.:)

Buying new, rule out old Saturn

Definately go hear Saturn/R or if its going to be launched, the Aethos CD.
Even better get a homedem.

No idea if your amp is the right choice for this ?

If 2nd hand is ok, another to look at is the older 500 series of Meridian.
My 506.24 is still doing sterling service and it takes a lot to beat it. You can pick up the later 508 for a quarter of your budget.
Half width and tidy looking design.

06e18feca036943d01e7bb9654984419.jpg
Random pic off net.

Hi Phil
I've just had a Rotel 965BX given to me non working. Found the fault on the power supply board...fixed it and it's running like a dream.
Not a bad player at all!
Ray

brilliant ray , very pleased to hear . last time i heard your system it sounded very good indeed
Thank you Phil. Much appreciated. Changed a lot of things since I last saw you but won't go into too much detail.
I really don't want to hijack the thread.
Regards
Ray

just check if the cd player is reliable

this is one comment about the project cd player . I am sure they are marvellous but worth checking with owners on here

"The originally supplied unit which failed to play any CD all the way through was replaced as faulty by the supplier who was really helpful throughout. The replacement unit plays CDs really well, with a rich and clear sound from excellent low bass through an accurate and pleasant midband to very good and accurate treble via its coaxial output. The unit has not rejected or mistracked any commercial or home recorded CDs to date. It is small, unobtrusive, the display is clear (although you cannot turn the display off) and the slot loading mechanism is very well engineered. Like most digital devices with slot loaders the mechanism can very occasionally baulk requiring momentary disconnection from the mains power supply to clear it.

It is very good value for money but be aware there are units of this model out there that cannot play CDs consistently and get your's replaced if it happens to you. I understand that the Pro-Ject and the UK importers are aware of the problem."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/CD-Players/Project-CD-Box-Player-Black/B009GKH4NG

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back