advertisement

Name a 'beautiful' amplifier.

This is my Gato DIA 250S. I can't make my mind up whether it's ugly or nice looking:

IMG_20210403_195002.jpg

IMG_20210404_164905.jpg

Very surprised we’ve not had any classic ‘70s Japanese receivers yet, top-end Pioneer SX, Marantz, Sony etc. Beautiful looking kit IMO. Overly complex/feature-rich, not fun to service, but so much more tastefully laid out than the typical modern CNC bling-fi.

One of my friends had a Lescon power amp for a while, it would have been early to mid-80s, so second hand, and it kept blowing up. He had Gale 401s (still has a pair), which are not the easiest things to drive, and he ended up giving up on the Lescon as it needed fixing so often. I can’t remember the preamp he had, but definitely not Lescon. I always felt the Lescon kit would make for an amazing looking system with JR149s.

s-l1600.jpg

I expect he had a Lecson AC1 at some time gone wrong, very difficult to service as all the slider controls move a magnet beneath to run up and down the sliders.

You have to shatter a permanent magnet and place the useful pieces where required with the top cover removed, fyi.

I've loved the look of my Linx Stratos since I clapped eyes on a set at a show over 30 years ago.

xKi8AeC.jpg

Last time I posted this pic, there were some weird Blake 7 references!
Lovely things. No doubt.

Went through a 70's Japanese amp phase about 10 years ago, Sansui AU-6500, Pioneer SA-708, Optonica SM-3636, Yamaha CR-1000, CR1010 & CA2010. All fabulous looking amps. The Sansui is the one I most regret selling, beautiful to look at, bomb proof build & sweet sounding. Would all now be worth far more than I sold them for as well.
TS

7 pages in, and more of the same-old same-old, and precious little innovation. Naim black boxes and Meridian brown are neat enough, but beautiful? Hardly. This is a product that could be put in any enclosure, and we still go with variations on a biscuit tin. The tables some of the stuff is standing on are the only bits with any beauty. It's proof, if any were needed, that this hobby is doomed to die when the last of this already middle aged generation drops off the perch. It's like asking the BSA owners ' club to name a beautiful bike and they can't get past the 1968 A10.

The fact that none of the manufacturers feel the need to depart from the biscuit tin, choice of grey or silver, model tells you what you need to know about the market.

advertisement

Back