advertisement

Name a 'beautiful' amplifier.

I actually like the looks of the Nagra stuff:

1997-PL-P-1920x1080.jpg

7 pages in, and more of the same-old same-old, and precious little innovation. Naim black boxes and Meridian brown are neat enough, but beautiful? Hardly. This is a product that could be put in any enclosure, and we still go with variations on a biscuit tin. The tables some of the stuff is standing on are the only bits with any beauty. It's proof, if any were needed, that this hobby is doomed to die when the last of this already middle aged generation drops off the perch. It's like asking the BSA owners ' club to name a beautiful bike and they can't get past the 1968 A10.

The fact that none of the manufacturers feel the need to depart from the biscuit tin, choice of grey or silver, model tells you what you need to know about the market.
You know that all the young folks are into retro design don't you? Only old farts want modern and innovative.

I was struck tonight as the day ended how subtle and pleasing were the two power lights of my old mission Cyrus integrated amp plus it’s PSU. Side by side, same size and just disappearing into the gloom of their cupboard. A single point source light behind an oblong piece of coloured plastic, long enough that the illumination fades towards the edges.
In contrast, the never-changing glare of the digital information panel of my Arcam Alpha Plus on the next shelf is just unrelenting. So my most beautiful amp is when I can hardly see it...

You know that all the young folks are into retro design don't you? Only old farts want modern and innovative.

Not all of us. While I can appreciate some of the “retro” designs, I wouldn’t want them in my living room.
I think these threads really do highlight the generation gap between audiophiles and more importantly, the gap between the current and future generation of audiophiles.

I don't have any pictures I can upload. I'm a fan of the Tandberg 3002 and 3003 Amplifiers of the early 'eighties. Clean, built like brick shit houses and uncompromising industrial design.

Another example of industrial design that pleases me is the Audio Innovations Series 500; music is best served with a small glass of fine Single Malt by candlelight with the warm glow of the Valves providing a rather pleasant listening experience...

I might be biased.

:D

advertisement

Back