advertisement

Naim Nait 50

The Hicap DR and SNAXO's (ok recently discontinued but they will still have tooling and stocks)

Or have they bought your die???

I doubt hey need any significant new tooling.

Me too. They made amps of this exact type for decades. I imagine it was as simple as calling up the old case and tray suppliers and asking for a batch. All of the internal parts will be off the shelf.

Still, it looks cool as others have said and perhaps will keep its value reasonably well.

It does look good but I doubt it will hold its value especially well. It's like a vintage Stratocaster vs a reissue.

It is white, shame really, I'd take the original red or even green over the white....

I like both red and green LEDs, they look great and quite nostalgic as I remember how new they seemed back in the late-70s, early-80s. There is however something really off about white and especially blue LEDs, I suspect they are an exceptionally narrow-bandwidth that just doesn’t exist anywhere in nature. They look fundamentally unnatural and are almost always too bright. I actively dislike them and it is nothing to do with the colour, e.g. I love old Marantz and Pioneer receivers tuning scales etc (unless some idiot has replaced the bulbs with LEDs!).

I like both red and green LEDs, they look great and quite nostalgic as I remember how new they seemed back in the late-70s, early-80s. There is however something really off about white and especially blue LEDs, I suspect they are an exceptionally narrow-bandwidth that just doesn’t exist anywhere in nature. They look fundamentally unnatural and are almost always too bright. I actively dislike them and it is nothing to do with the colour, e.g. I love old Marantz and Pioneer receivers tuning scales etc (unless some idiot has replaced the bulbs with LEDs!).

I agree Tony, I never have liked the blue or white LED's either. I have always liked green for on, and red for standby, in general. Unfortunately, the manufacturers have gone to blue I suspect from demands made when the first blue ones started to come out, and it became some "cool" factor. Ugh. Most of my German gear has the blue in them, but they have made them tiny pin-prick style, and are not blinding or obnoxious thankfully! Otherwise I would be ripping them out and soldering in green ones!

When I wrote this some months ago…

A fiftieth anniversary half-width NAIT 50 for me, please.

…I was hoping for a NAIT in the New Classic design, and didn’t expect this at all.

I’m not averse to some retro styling (I bought one of A-T’s limited edition Sound Burgers for a laugh), and I like that this NAIT is such a purist design, but I can’t see myself buying one as the original has a unique charm (there’s probably a better word) that can’t be replicated.

I’d not be surprised if these aren’t selling for more than the asking price within a year or two though…

They will probably sell in no time.

Dont hold your breath !

Can't really see any other reason than collectors interest, maybe a handfull of diehard sheeps.
Few would buy to use as main amp.

A CB Nait 2 serviced is way more tempting at lower than half price, looking at the crazy Nait 50 retail price.

It's a nostalgia product, and nostalgia is big business!
So many companies offering nostalgic products to cash in on those people who either love the old style or the older demographic who can afford to re-live the past.
From cars such as retro styled VW electric camper vans, vintage cars modified to be electric, reissue of various watches, retro motorcycles, retro events, so Naim have joined the party, support act from NAD and various replica LS3a look alikes playing tribute music.
Nostalgia

It's been happening in the synthesiser world for quite a while—companies resurrecting their high-value classics.

On the occasion of their 50th anniversary, Naim Audio presents NAIT 50, a remaster of the very first NAIT amplifier released in 1983. Made in Salisbury, UK, this exclusive product is limited to only 1,973 pieces.

2xopw62pgJSZ6SJ_qQAP_qsHLDrTO1mHLuRHwEnDqXDBzbl-qcUkYh7ZwX_I7cHfJNT9roJe2NMh126tP_slvL6iaTr-nr8BTnNis5TdfuZhmNhgi5A7Tkqc81RljyzqB3in5LKYdVWGSrJwuI1FFAnxG4wRvw=s0-d-e1-ft

Stephen

Modern Naim are a sophisticated company who are unlikely to feck up and release a limited edition product so out of touch with market demands that they struggle to sell it.

Oh no, hang on...

Wish I could afford one.
Nostalgia, curiosity and classic looks can get me very far.
Alas the price/watt/feature ratio is very modern Naim, which is kind of ironic since the product is from the good old days.

However I do hope they sell a boatload of them, as it might convince them to make more CB reissues or even new products. I have a dream of a CB streamer

Maybe the Musical Fidelity A1 reissue is more interesting?

advertisement

Back