advertisement

Naim Nait 50

I wonder if any the Naim experts here might also care to compare the economies of scale of the Rega IO compared to the Nait 50 at 1973 units.

You don't think the whole limited edition thing is about justifying, and getting, more money? Have you noticed that when Rega produce a limited edition is is better value than the standard product?

Why is it so hard for some people to accept what is going on here?

It’s roughly the same price as a Nait XS3. Is it essentially a re-cased XS3, or same circuit as the original Nait 1, or something completely new?
New.
"Our engineers have been sure to preserve the DNA of NAIT 1, whilst making technical improvements to the circuits thanks to their unique expertise."

Just speaking personally, and it would apply to any brand, to satisfy any nostalgia I'd buy a mint original. If instead I was in the market for an integrated amplifier at that price, I'd simply compare it to the competition. I don't really see it as a sensible investment, not in my remaining lifetime.

These rubber feet are interesting, wouldn't it be nice if they were retrofittable on the old CB/Olive Shoebox and large amp cases? ...Can't order/get those original feet anymore from Naim, but it's also kinda frightening to think that these new feet could cost 20 bucks each and I'd need 28..

But the whole thing is kinda neat, not too sure it's $3K neat though, but it should easily last 30+ years before a spa day back at Naim is needed..

Wouldn't be surprised if we see more of this CB Shoebox Retro Revival from Naim in the future, IMO it's a unique look that never goes out of style, always looked solidly purposeful and not cheap unlike those later Nait 3 type cases.

I had a Nait once my first bit of Naim but TBH I thought it was ok but nothing special.
I have got a Rega IO in a 2nd system and it's lovely - Looks great and the VFM is brilliant.
I just shake my head with Naim's pricing It's good well built product but way overpriced in relation to other companies.

It has a ‘chrome bumper’ on the back, which is just sick and wrong.

PS What is ‘instant on’?

Yea, so much for tradition as it's the little details.

My guess when it senses an input signal it comes out of sleep mode and starts playing, then back to sleep mode after sometime sensing no signal. No? ...Saves you the chore of having to depress a power button, keep's it luke warmed up?

Last edited:
The Nait 50 is class A/B. The feet appear to be similar, if not the same feet that are on current black/classic series of equipment.

Tony, the Instant On switch I believe has something to do with the "standby" power mode, where it will switch if no signal is present after so long of time. The unit goes into low power requirement mode. I may be slightly off track there but you get the general drift...Sorry, see tpetsch's comment, he beat me to it!:)

I was ready to sign up till I saw the price, £1.5k would have been attractive. Guess we will see in time if ex-dems are heavily discounted

Don’t bet on it .. 1973 for a global market is nothing. I’ll eat my hat if these don’t all disappear quickly

New.
"Our engineers have been sure to preserve the DNA of NAIT 1, whilst making technical improvements to the circuits thanks to their unique expertise."
That description doesn’t really clarify very much TBH. Its such a woolly statement it could easily be applied to the XS3, I.e DNA of the Nait 1 but with technical improvements. Not that it really matters, it was just curiosity on my part. If it’s essentially an XS3, the small uplift in price doesn’t seem too bad given the amortised manufacturing costs of limited run items. A pure reproduction of an original Nait would be a bold move … but why not, given the fearsome reputation of the original? If it was something completely new, then perhaps it’s the precursor to a new line of redesigned NAIT’s.

It will be interesting once it’s in the wild to see where it sits, performance wise, in the line-up. Although I appreciate that’s somewhat missing the point of it’s existence.

If you go to the naim forum someone has posted photos of the in side of this little shoe box. Not like the original.... They are asking too much, but like leica camera, they will ask what they like and folk will pay

Just had a look on the Naim forum. Looks very nicely made, as one would expect. A lot of SMD stuff, but I guess that’s par for the course these days, and shouldn’t be anything to fear long term. The better repair folk are getting the skills for sure. One thing I really like is they didn’t make it remote control. I have to admit I really like it. Yes, its crazy expensive, but assuming it manages to capture and maybe even improve on what was good about the original I’d take it over a fair bit of the modern audio market. I’d personally have preferred it without the complexity of the auto-sense thing. If you have to get up to switch inputs and adjust the volume, as you should with any quality audio, what is wrong with turning it on/off too? I’d have far preferred a tape input (i.e. send/return) too, unless the stream input does that. Given it has a phono stage I imagine some folk would like the option to record vinyl as one could on the original. A lot of people want a tape-loop to hook a computer interface to.

I speak from experience, tooling is very, very costly. And that has to funded by the final cost of the product.

Oh for goodness sake, stop bringing knowledge and expertise to the thread, just let the ill informed have their fun (again and until next week's Naim thread).

As for the amp it's a lovely thing and I am sure it will find many a home with happy customers as as long as they are happy why judge them? Too much money for me for what it is, but each to their own and anyway it's good to see a British company celebrating 50 years of great products, long may they continue.

I wonder how much if any of that is made in the Good British Company? Looks lovely, but looks bought in?

advertisement

Back